Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #7156
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Monster, you're probably exhausted. You're always on the go, taking care of everyone and everything. So you take a few minutes to recognize the exhaustion and then you feel like you should be doing something. Your brain and body are out of synch. I bet you never take a day just for you.

I could be wrong. I'm just speculating?

Hope you feel better soon.
thanks. I am exhausted. besst was away all weekend for the second weekend on the run and the schedule was nuts. But I do take time for me. Figure skating has started again. and pottery will start next week.....
Old 10-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #7157
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Beware the red light cameras

The red light (stop light) cameras are spreading across the US and Canada.
This site lets you zoom in on locations and you can add to their database if you know of more.
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #7158
Lamplighter

For our Aussie dwellars, these red light cameras are assets of the Redflex Corp, based in Victoria.
So every US and Canandian traffic ticket fine contributes $ to the Australian economy.
Maybe I should be buying stock in this company...

and No, I have not run one of these red lights (yet)
They just make me anxious and irritated because it's easy to forget they are always watching.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #7159
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I might have got picked up by one of those cameras last weekend, but we were driving a car with no license plates so I'm probably OK.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #7160
Griff
still says videotape

I had a close one last week. I'm not sure if I slipped through or not. Two "hobos" jaywalked in front of me as I entered an intersection so I had to brake in the intersection for the camera...
Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #7161
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

If your cameras work like ours do, you should be okay. They get you if you enter the intersection against a red.

You still lose 200 points for failing to run down two jay-walking hobos, though.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #7162
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I've been caught by one - a few years ago.
There is a lawyer somewhere who fights these cases. He wins every time.
I heard him on the radio one day doing an interview. There was also a piece about how they cause MORE accidents at some intersections and they are being removed.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #7163
Lamplighter

Yes, some places have removed them... rear end collisions and the like.

But just like to other kinds of red light districts or the lotteries,
the $ can be hard to resist when the city has little/nothing to do but cash the check.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #7164
glatt

I love red light cameras and wish that every intersection had four. If every intersection had them, then people would actually stop for the red light every time. It's not hard, because they have these neat things called yellow lights that warn you when the red light is coming.

What I don't like are the speed cameras. The law tells us what the speed limit is, but everyone, including the police, knows that the speed limit isn't real. The real sped limit is some incremental amount above the actual speed limit. But there is no agreement on what this incremental amount is, and that causes problems. Who knows what the cameras are set for?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #7165
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Income.

The thing that has always struck me as bogus about speed limits is when you get on a toll road where you take a ticket as you enter. The time you entered is stamped on the ticket as is the location. When you get off the highway it would be easy enough to note the time elapsed and distance traveled. Obvious if you were speeding the whole way. Wouldn't catch people who speed from rest stop to rest stop to bring down their average, but it would be a huge deterrent to everyone.

I also spoke with a guy who operated the MV emissions inspection at DMV in CT. They put the car on rollers and run it at 30mph. The machine displays your simulated speed. He said he has never seen a car's speedometer agree with the machine and usually they were off by 5-10mph. At 30mph!

So, it is an inexact science.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #7166
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Income.

The thing that has always struck me as bogus about speed limits is when you get on a toll road where you take a ticket as you enter. The time you entered is stamped on the ticket as is the location. When you get off the highway it would be easy enough to note the time elapsed and distance traveled. Obvious if you were speeding the whole way. Wouldn't catch people who speed from rest stop to rest stop to bring down their average, but it would be a huge deterrent to everyone.

So, it is an inexact science.
But they could take a short-cut.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #7167
SamIam

The cops just rely on the time honored speed trap around here. The next town east of mine has a speed limit that goes abruptly from 65mph to 35mph with no warning and a cop who hides behind the liquor store with his radar gun. If you're local, you know to slow down, but the tourists are caught in droves. That speed trap probably pays for 90% of municipal expenses.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #7168
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

monster - I know what you mean.

Some days are twisted humbugs and good only for small demons to feast upon.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #7169
monster
I hear them call the tide

well no shit fan combo occurred really. the next day was similar but not so bad, I tried to go back to bed the second time again (well i did) but then remembered someone was coming to drop stuff off "on their way to work" (so early ish) so i got up and showered and the uneasy eased...... I think it was some kind of guilt thing over going back to bed twice or something when i had shit to do, rather than any specific foreboading. If my conscious can give myself a break now and again, why can't my subconscious?

Busy day today: walk&run followed by figure skating class followed by gardening. some good sleep tonight I hope. Although thor currently in bed with fever, so there's a possibility of being up all night with feverish and not sleepy/barfing child.....
Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #7170
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It started a couple of days ago.

Dazza complained that he feels pressured to come home at a certain time (which is not my intention) because I ask him what time he'll be home and I told him that if I don't ask, he doesn't tell me, and I always try to put a meal on the table for my family, so it gets wasted if he stays late and eats at the office etc. I told him that I consider it my job, and that if he doesn't at least try and let me know, he's showing no respect for the effort I put in for him.

Anyway, so the very next day, he sends me an email saying he wont be home till 9pm and I thought, well that's a start, but what happened was I left his dinner for him to reheat, but when he got home he said he'd already eaten, so I think, "fuck you with a fat stick sideways areshole! Don't you listen to a word I say???" I said nothing though because I'm sick of wasting my fucking breath.

So yesterday, I went to visit my cousin and another one came as well, and we were sitting having a chat and Lisa asks me how things are going with Annie (a cousin from the other side of the family) and I said fine as far as I know and so Lisa then tells me that she heard from the oldies that she's got hodgkins disease and they gave her the wrong Chemo and now she's going to die.

I lose myself in tears as they tell me my brother was telling the aunts at a familiy picnic we couldn't get to on the weekend because of other commitments.

So then I start to see red and wonder why my fuckhead of a brother can't pick up the phone and tell me, his only sister about our cousins illness before he tells family members who aren't even actually related!

I tried to ring my brother, but he didn't answer, so in the end, I rang Annie.

Turns out it's her mother (my dead mothers only sister), but she had hodgekins from ages ago and she's been undergoing treatment for it for many years and I'm very much aware of her situation, except that I didn't know he liver almost collapsed from all the drugs and that she was in hospital.

It's still very upsetting realising that the fight my Aunty Anne (yes, same name as her daughter) has been fighting is drawing to a close and that she's not expected to live all that much longer, but it's been on the cards for years, and we've all considered it a miracle that she's still with us, so not quite as bad as finding out my perfectly healthy cousin is about to die - which of course she's not, but for those minutes I suffered all the grief and shock just as if she was.

So pretty much people in my family doing the usual family gossip thing and everything gets ballsed up and I'm the one that has to go through that, on a day where I'm already feeling fragile because of the non words I've had with my husband.

So last night I drank two bottles of wine and took sleeping tablets.

Today I feel like shit, but at least I'm in control.

Tags
swiss