The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 01-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #106
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I don't like riding two up. Forget this.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #107
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Yeah, I wish there was a picture with all of them in it, just to see how awfully uncomfortable it would look.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #108
glatt

Name:  motorcycles-carrying-heavy-loads-31.jpg
Views: 9460
Size:  51.5 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #109
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

They deserve it. What's gonna happen.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #110
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Correcting the Internet...
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #111
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Always wondered how they made waaay more 'lectricity by making these kinds of things more efficient over the decades. Well there ya go, they couldn't have made a part like that when they built, say, Hoover Dam. Not with precision anyway... and not that Hoover Dam is a steam oriented -- ah you get my drift

(they didn't have xoB around is why)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #112
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The biggest reasons were the precision and strength of materials allowed higher pressure steam. There are three sections in modern steam turbines, the steam goes through the high pressure section, then the medium and low before it's condensed and pumped back to the boiler. The lower the pressure the larger the blades.

EPRI(Electrical Power Research Institute) funded by all the power companies in the country, had a test turbine at PECO's Chester station running 5,000 psig steam(close to 1,000 deg F). Just to add a pressure tap or thermocouple was a major pain in the ass because the wall thickness of the pipe was over three inches of high strength steel. Drill the hole, then follow a strict procedure to weld in the tap with each layer of weld inspected. Lastly make sure there is NO chips or slag on the inside of the pipe to become missiles when restarted as they would wipe out blades at that speed.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:28 AM   #113
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I found this picture with no information. Obviously it's a manufacturing facility. Tin-eye couldn't find it. Google found it... on fucking pinterest. I just had time to grab the title before they shut me out. It said, "Elevator Flywheel".
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #114
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I found this picture with no information. Obviously it's a manufacturing facility. Tin-eye couldn't find it. Google found it... on fucking pinterest. I just had time to grab the title before they shut me out. It said, "Elevator Flywheel".
Check this page out.

http://atomictoasters.com/2013/11/me...and-flywheels/

They have a digitized old brochure that says it's a "turning flywheel in pit lathe."

And they found the original of the photo here. The flywheel was at Mesta Machine Co in Pittsburgh

Last edited by glatt; 02-13-2017 at 07:37 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #115
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Excellent, so we know who made it and when, just not what it's for.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #116
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Good find, da bof o yas.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #117
Griff
still says videotape

Great find fellas, I appreciate the effort.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #118
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm putting this in machines rather than rims because I doubt it ever made the road, despite what the 1914 Mad Men claim, and the claims are whoppers.

Quote:
The Airmobile used a “frictionless rotary engine fueled by crude oil” to power a “rotary air compressor” located behind it. Air pressure was stored in a pair of tanks and routed through a throttle to an air motor at each wheel. No one has uncovered photos or more information about this car other than an advertisement in the program for the Santa Monica Road Races and a few other places, the effort then disappeared into thin air…. By 1915 the Rotary Air Brake Company was promoting an air-steam-gas-water engine that is known to have been produced.
The company’s name was changed to the Rotary Products Company and in 1920 they began manufacturing air driven machinery for industry.
I think "frictionless" means I don't hear no squealing or scraping.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #119
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Shred a whole car, and I mean whole, tires, glass, interior, engine, in less than 3 minutes.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #120
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Presumably a cubic yard (or thereabouts) of compressed metal and other stuff comes out of the other end of the machine.
I'm just wondering how it's processed for re-manufacture given the volume of material that isn't steel.