Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #16
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
I have those too [snip] and the way to get to them is always kind of tricky, like I have to squeeze through a narrow passage beneath the stairs.
Ah now that's a slight difference. My new rooms in existing houses are always easy to get to. But I do also dream I have moved somewhere new and it is hard to get into. And I'm kidding myself it will be okay and I'll just get used to it. Often the route involves my two fears, confined spaces and height. So to get into my new flat/ room/ whatever will involve climbing a ladder and then twisting round to squeeze into a small hole in a wall.

I'm open-minded as to what it means, but I know part of the access-problem dream draws on my memories of watching my Dad go up into the loft as a child. He did it easily, but something about the stepladder at the top of the stairs, and the way he had to lift himself up into the hole always scared me.

I can almost always track down where the images in my dreams come from. Just not the meaning. I'm no Freudian, but it seems odd that the same story plays again and again.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #17
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I was told by my Jungian dream counselor once that house dreams have to do with your relatives. The further you ascend is the further you are getting spiritually, and the further you descend, the deeper you are going into your subconscious mind. Apparently if you go deep enough you can tap in to the collective, but this would involve shirking the fears, because the further you descend the darker it can get. I've had a lot of house dreams and the description suited me because I could feel people that I couldn't see in the rooms. At one point I had someone showing me through the house and it was important that I had an impression of the people that occupied each room. (even though I couldn't see them) Each room was decorated differently and had a different feeling about it. The description still seemed to follow because the further I would ascend the older the room was. So, I think I trust my dream therapists explanation. If it is true, the impression I have of some of my ancestors is scary as hell, and some are quite cheery. I never did figure out who the dream figure was showing me around. It's the same house but a new figure appeared. I have been so scared in the house in other dreams that the further I ascended the less I felt like I could move or breathe. I think the trick is to get over the fear, and take a look at what you are seeing. I was also told that everything in the dream means something significant to you or symbolizes something significant to you, and you have to figure out what it is. That was long ago, though. I don't think I have those anymore.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #18
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I've had the "unprepared for a class or exam" dream so many times and in so many variations, it'd be useless to try to catalog them.

I had one dream, unique to me so far, where I went and started a new job. They were really happy to have me... so excited that I was bringing my own unique blend of talents to help their company. Everybody was just as nice as could be, like I was some kind of star.

Except, I didn't have a phone or a computer at my desk, and any time I tried to suggest that maybe I should actually do some work, whoever I was talking to would change the subject.

I had another one, after I started knitting, where I was at work sitting at a table with three of my colleagues. We were ALL knitting. At one point one of them got stuck and another one stopped to give her some advice.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #19
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'm not quite sure about what you just spoke. Is that a parable or a very subtle joke?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

You got me.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #21
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I dream I get up and get ready for work or class, then wake up to find I'm late. I have bad dreams about my last job all the time. Irritated customers or I'm just cashiering/making food the whole time. A recent dream was were everyone was telling me my new pants make me look fat. I had a dream I was watching my cop-friend head a raid into a drug house, I was very worried about him. Since things started goin downhill with my grandfather I've had a couple of dreams where I'm planning his funeral.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #22
Juniper
I know, right?

I had a dream about Brianna's "favorite" professor. A vague reference, based on the one-second glimpse I had one day peeking into his office as I walked past, so not much factual info to go on, but I knew it was him in the dream.

He was this crazy, scruffy old guy, known as the weird prof who didn't have a place to live but instead camped out in the woods outside the campus. (note - in my dream the campus was on a large wooded acreage, which WSU is not, but I once attended a college that was.) So the word going around among the students was, don't get too friendly with him or he will try to scam on your spare room or garage or back porch or something. How odd.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #23
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Last night I dreamed that HM's house was connected to the building where I work. It started out that they were connected to us via the toilets and kitchen (in fact we do share those with another company on the other side of the building). HM had come to tell me that the sugar had run out. I was adamant that it had not as (real life) I had just received delivery of 1000 sugar sachets that week.

He told me that his new housemate (called Cinderella apparently) had a really sweet tooth. She drank tea all day and had 5 sugars. And sure enough, when I went to look in the kitchen there were only empty packets left. I was furious because this meant the people I worked with would think I wasn't in top of my canteen duties.

Then the dream shifted slightly and it seemed that I was living back in his house again. I was beginning to get angry because the place was such a mess and again he blamed it on her. I started to get spiteful and say things like, "If you think I'm cleaning up after your little slut - I'm not even going to call her by that ridiculous name - then you've got another thing coming. You invited her to live here, you clean up after her!" I was also really mad that my work was subsidising his lodger.

Meh - again I know where all those aspects come from. Especially about tidying up after another woman - and that happened 10 years ago. I wonder if I am often so angry in my dreams because I back away from confrontation in real life.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #24
Flint
Snowflake

For the last couple of nights it has seemed like I was fully concious all night, worrying about the system going live (at my new job). All night long, dreaming about racing around in a panic trying to figure out which buttons to push and which levers to pull. It's not very restful.

Meanwhile, reality is stressful in a different way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
I had one dream, unique to me so far, where I went and started a new job. They were really happy to have me... so excited that I was bringing my own unique blend of talents to help their company. Everybody was just as nice as could be, like I was some kind of star.

Except, I didn't have a phone or a computer at my desk, and any time I tried to suggest that maybe I should actually do some work, whoever I was talking to would change the subject.
OMG is this all just a dream?!1
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #25
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
I had a dream about Brianna's "favorite" professor. A vague reference, based on the one-second glimpse I had one day peeking into his office as I walked past, so not much factual info to go on, but I knew it was him in the dream.

He was this crazy, scruffy old guy, known as the weird prof who didn't have a place to live but instead camped out in the woods outside the campus. (note - in my dream the campus was on a large wooded acreage, which WSU is not, but I once attended a college that was.) So the word going around among the students was, don't get too friendly with him or he will try to scam on your spare room or garage or back porch or something. How odd.
That is odd. He's not my favorite anymore, either. I'm pretty sure he's a republican.

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #26
Juniper
I know, right?

Yeah, I know...very weird. Oh well, who knows why the brain does what it does!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #27
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I had a dream a few nights ago about an old car that I had.

The car was a 73 Olds Cutlass and it was in very good condition when I took possession of it in 92.

In the dream the car had a right hand driver seat which is opposite of what cars are here in the US.

Not only was the driver's side on the right, making it symmetrically opposite to normal, the pedals, shift and knobs were also opposite.

While driving around my dream someone asked me "is that a rental?" and I burst out laughing.

"No. When's the last time you rented a 35 year old car?"

"Call Avis and ask if they have a 73 Cutlass for rent."
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #28
be-bop
Operations Operative

I have had recently some really vivid dreams the last two that had an effect was one where I was in the company of my Dad and we were just talking and shooting the breeeze only trouble he died in 2000 and the other was where I met an old girl friend who was showing me her new child and she has also passed away in 1997.
Both were nice and disturbing ,nice because they felt so real and disturbing because I felt real sadness when they ended and I realised that they were dreams and didn't happen.
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #29
Mad Professor
Belt Conveyor

I just dreamt I had a punch-up with my best mate. He was really winding me up about something and I ended up losing my rag and socking it to him. Very unusual for me as I'm pretty laid-back in reality and don't like violence at all. I've only been in one fight, and that was at school. Having said that I have been a bit pissed off with him lately for a couple of reasons. Also I had a nicotine patch on, and they always give me nightmares (took it off when I woke up and had a fag )

Lo Fidelity Allstars
Mad Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #30
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I dreamt my mother was keeping me in a cloying, hoity-toity, girly restaurant (you know the kind) and wouldn't let me GO! I was SO PISSED that I started looking for cabs to drive me home even though I couldn't afford it.

I think I'm really pissed at her.

My all-time favorite dream is flying. I also liked the one where I went to Truck Driving school.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote