The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #31
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

'Prince of the 404' is there.

Might explain why never came back after his initial posts here.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #32
Griff
still says videotape

Spammer?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #33
DanaC

Don't know. May just be a tourist interested in checking us out and inviting us to go check them out.

I had a look (as I did last time). It's a nice enough place, and there are some interesting people. Some of it is a lot like here, but that's the case with most general forum communities. Some aspects very unlike here.

I must admit I was slightly put off by the presence of a user called 'Kill all Muslims'.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #34
Kayla Faye
Bastard Factory Bitch

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Don't know. May just be a tourist interested in checking us out and inviting us to go check them out.

I had a look (as I did last time). It's a nice enough place, and there are some interesting people. Some of it is a lot like here, but that's the case with most general forum communities. Some aspects very unlike here.

I must admit I was slightly put off by the presence of a user called 'Kill all Muslims'.
OMG kill all muslims guy is repetitive and tries to fight everyone. Nobody there likes him!

Please come get him!! He also has no 'W' on his keyboard, so its weird.

What is it about him? that name?

There is a lot of similarities to both sites now from what I see.

Pretty much anything goes rantings which I love.
Kayla Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #35
DanaC

Yep, that name. I haven't read his posts. But his name and avatar a red flag for me.

There aren't many rules in the Cellar. There is little in the way of censorship (I know loads of sites that have language filters and the like, which is just awful imo) and that's the way most of us like it. But: a user name which advocates racial violence (or religious violence) would most likely break the few rules we have.

It certainly gives a very bad impression of your community to a casual visitor, in my opinion, since few casual visitors are likely to go looking at his posts and see other people arguing with him. It just looks at first glance as if that sort of stuff is acceptable there.

[eta] I phrased that poorly. 'bad impression' may be the wrong way to describe it. It all depends on what you're looking for in a forum. Some people are looking for a fiery place of flame wars and board fights, where all extremes are represented. There's value in that. But I am looking for a community wherein members of different outlooks feel welcome and 'safe'. Someone expressing anti-muslim views is one thing - we've had a few, and doubtless will again. Those are arguments to be had. But a username like that suggests that such views are mainstream acceptable to the site as an organisation.

We would not allow a username like 'Kill all Gays' here. Because it steps over the line into hate speech and advocates violence on the basis of sexual orientation. And because we have members here who are in that demographic. They have a right to be a part of this community without being subjected to hate speech every time that user posts anything.

Last edited by DanaC; 02-09-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #36
glatt

What is it with this thread getting active every time the Olympics come around?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #37
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Who you got?
She got you...

...to visit Bastard Factory.

Name:  BentRod.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  74.4 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #38
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Oh no I didn't want to talk to her, I wanted to expose her. S'ok.
I wanted her to expose herself.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #39
Kayla Faye
Bastard Factory Bitch

Quote:
Yep, that name. I haven't read his posts. But his name and avatar a red flag for me.

There aren't many rules in the Cellar. There is little in the way of censorship (I know loads of sites that have language filters and the like, which is just awful imo) and that's the way most of us like it. But: a user name which advocates racial violence (or religious violence) would most likely break the few rules we have.

It certainly gives a very bad impression of your community to a casual visitor, in my opinion, since few casual visitors are likely to go looking at his posts and see other people arguing with him. It just looks at first glance as if that sort of stuff is acceptable there.

[eta] I phrased that poorly. 'bad impression' may be the wrong way to describe it. It all depends on what you're looking for in a forum. Some people are looking for a fiery place of flame wars and board fights, where all extremes are represented. There's value in that. But I am looking for a community wherein members of different outlooks feel welcome and 'safe'. Someone expressing anti-muslim views is one thing - we've had a few, and doubtless will again. Those are arguments to be had. But a username like that suggests that such views are mainstream acceptable to the site as an organisation.

We would not allow a username like 'Kill all Gays' here. Because it steps over the line into hate speech and advocates violence on the basis of sexual orientation. And because we have members here who are in that demographic. They have a right to be a part of this community without being subjected to hate speech every time that user posts anything.
I go there for the random chit chats.

I know what you mean though. I think its come up over there too, but when a message board prides itself on free speech and almost anything goes, yet keeps the trolls out of the main forum. its kinda win win.

I mean how do you tell someone to change there name and keep certain free speech intact?

Also, they only have like 2 moderators and they don't get involved really unless they have to. I like that a lot!

http://bastardfactory.net/forums/thr...um-rules.4696/

those are the rules too.

I mean the place has the right idea, but asshole member names??

I dunno.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #40
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

So, how long we gonna look at these advertisements for Some Bastards somewhere?

Old 02-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #41
DanaC

We have two mods. They're elected from the community, by the community and they rarely get involved.

It's a tonal difference:

Bastard Factory:
Quote:
Bastard Factory Forums is held to a higher standard of posting than most other forums.​
Personal attacks, flame wars, insults, so called "obscene" words & overall 'Bastard like behavior is highly "encouraged". This is Not to say that everyone has to be sickeningly nonsensical, far from it... you do have to be a touch civil.
The Cellar:
Quote:
The Cellar is like an electronic tavern. Behave as you might at a real-life tavern. Don't barge in and interrupt every table in the place. Walk in and sit down, wait for something you know about and politely put in your two cents.

Whether you care to stick around will probably depend on whether you're taken seriously. Your reputation here is not made by whether you're "in the clique" or how cool you are or etc. It's only based on how you behave and what you contribute. Be a thoughtful version of yourself. Make an effort to leave it a better place than when you arrived and we all win.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #42
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
So, how long we gonna look at these advertisements for Some Bastards somewhere?
I'm happy for people from other boards to come and "advertise" here.
It doesn't look like Bastard Factory demands subs [money] any more than the Cellar. So it's not trolling or scamming.

Bastard Factory isn't my kinda place, and yes, I've been there before and I checked it out again today.
Not criticising, just not my bag.
I have absolutely no issue with them, and will welcome anyone from there, here.
I will respond post on post.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #43
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Yesterday I took Carrotchops to the playing field and little park and there was not one single child in sight. Midmorning during the summer holidays and not one child, parent, footballer, dogwalker in sight.
Isn't that how most English horror movies start? Cue light eerie music, the protagonist tops a rise and comes face to face with the zombie horde.....

Or is that hordes? If a horde is a loose collection, would multiple hordes still be one horde?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #44
DanaC

A horde of hordes...?

What would be the collective noun for multiple hordes?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #45
Kayla Faye
Bastard Factory Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I'm happy for people from other boards to come and "advertise" here.
It doesn't look like Bastard Factory demands subs [money] any more than the Cellar. So it's not trolling or scamming.

Bastard Factory isn't my kinda place, and yes, I've been there before and I checked it out again today.
Not criticising, just not my bag.
I have absolutely no issue with them, and will welcome anyone from there, here.
I will respond post on post.
Other than it coming off as a mean place, its not. More guys there like my neighbors than assholes.

That said, I want you all to join so you can 'rep.' me.

Im moving into the top 10 all time there and want to be post whore queen of BF haha