The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #6166
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
You know how sometimes someone is described as having a bad smell under their nose?
That's me today.

I'm 99.9% sure I'm clean and fresh, and sniffed every part of myself (in private) to make sure.
But I keep getting a horrible waft of something.

Given that although I'm in a public place, other people have come and gone. Can't be them.
And I woke up smelling it - and I was nekkid then, so it's not my clothes.

It sounds like a rubbish thing to hope for, but I can only hope that the smell is up my own nose.
Because if it really is me, and I simply haven't detected it, I'm foisting this intermittent odour on everyone else in close proximity to me today.

Oh and the weather has gone from a tiny little bit of snow (good) to just wet (normal.)
BORING!

Sundae, I've bouts with persistent sinus infections that I could sometimes actually smell. The smell was rotten and real, also literally in my head. Twil has on occasion said that she could smell it too. That was in very close proximity. I hope you don't have the kind of sinus infection I had, it was misery.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #6167
monster
I hear them call the tide

I want gas candle lighters that aren't flipping childproof. Can't find any anywhere. My youngest child is 14, my oldest is 18 -no toddlers are likely to be around here for a while. Why can't I make that choice to live dangerously and risk the cats getting a hold of them and setting the house on fire?
Old 01-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #6168
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Because even if you make that choice, and sign with two witnesses, if there's a fire you can sue the shit out of them.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #6169
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Butane torch. Often sold as a kitchen accessory for creme brulees. Way better than those stupid fire sticks.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:12 AM   #6170
monster

A little overkill and over budget for my purposes, but thanks
Old 01-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #6171
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FN0ZCK..._oCoNwbH64RAXC
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #6172
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I bought a kitchen torch for the Evil Ex.
It was that or a nail gun.
Both useful, both hoping he'd hurt himself badly. Presents as weapons - what a very stable relationship we had...

I can't suggest anything Monster, as here we have a simple on/ off switch and then the same sort of click as a lighter. And the switch is either on OR off, it doesn't reset.
Can't even offer to send one (or suggest you get MIL to bring one) as I'm sure it's illegal to transport flammable fuel.
Any camping websites which may be of use? Surely if you can buy guns & knives, you can buy lighters? And yes - I get the difference between a gas candle lighter and a [standard cigarette] lighter. Not a dig, just seems odd on the part of both our countries. Can you get the long candle matches btw? I know that's not what you're looking for, but they do work well.

Anyway I came here to moan about Leeds Central Library's Festival of Noise.
The young man two seats down with the deaf-plugs in his eras. Or at least I hope he goes deaf soon, listening to his music at that volume.
The 30-something man next to me who is making sure no bodily fluid is wasted by snorting up his own mucus. And there are public toilets on site, so even if he came out without tissues he could still go and have a good blow.

And the older lady who obvs has mental health issues - no not me.
She can't help that, but can't someone just ask her to keep it down? She's shaking the plaster off the walls.

And finally the foreign chap behind me talking to the computer.
No, really.
It's not voice activated, he's only logged on in a normal way - no mike or anything.

This is a bloody library!
Shut up shut up shut up.

Okay I admit I spent most of the night on the toilet least night, so I'm tired, sore and grumpy. Also don't even dare to pass a little bit of sneaky wind. And I have a Drs appointment later, which I'm not looking forward to. And I'm considerately trying not to cough.

Okay - it's all me.
They could still all do with shutting up though.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #6173
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
and oversized.

I want something cheap and small and I need several.

I'm just whinging. I'll find some. I had perfect ones from a dollar store but it was an indie and shut down (probably 'cause it actually sold decent stuff)

I did actually finally find some on ebay last night that were reasonable, but mail order have to ship empty so then I have to go through the hassle of buying gas and filling the stupid things
Old 01-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #6174
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Holy run on whatever the hell that says
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:47 PM   #6175
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

English professors call that "whining format", not to be confused with "Walter White" format which is similar but much faster and less nasal, more monotone.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #6176
glatt

Not today, but last night.

It was bedtime on a cold, dark, and windy night. I walked around the house, checking that all the doors were locked, and turning off the lights. Once it was dark downstairs, I could see easily out the window of our front door that the front door of the house across the street was wide open and the interior light was on. Seemed slightly strange to me, because it was so cold out. We open and immediately close ours when it's this cold. So I watched for a few seconds and the door stayed wide open, with nobody around. It was the night to take garbage cans out, and I thought the neighbor was taking the trash to the curb and left the door wide open. I wouldn't do that, but whatever.

So I stood there watching, and growing more concerned with each passing moment that this door across the street was wide open. After a few minutes went by, I imagined that the homeowner had gone outside just for a moment and slipped on a patch of ice and was lying unconscious in their dark driveway. So I stepped outside into the cold, without putting a jacket on, and peered over at their driveway. Nobody that I could see, but it was dark.

These neighbors are relatively new, and they really keep to themselves. We don't know them at all. I wouldn't even recognize them if I passed them on the street. So I didn't feel like walking up to their open door and calling in to their house. Might get shot.

So I went back inside and went up to the bedroom and looked out that window while I waited for my wife to get out of the bathroom. No movement at all over there, and the door was still WIDE OPEN. it had been about 10 minutes at this point. So my wife came into the bedroom and I pointed out the open door, and I went to go do my thing in the bathroom. Five minutes later, the door is STILL open. I grab a flashlight and walk outside and shine it across the street into their driveway and around their front yard. There was nobody unconscious and bleeding in the driveway. Nothing obviously wrong, so I went back inside.

It had been at least 20 minutes now. Very unusual. So my wife called the non-emergency number for the police. Let them check the stranger's house. I felt a little stupid calling the police over this instead of going over to the house myself, but it was late at night and I had no idea how I would be received by strangers as I approached their inner sanctum. Any normal person would feel threatened in their shoes, and maybe it would go badly. The police took all the information, including our information, and then I figured I had to stay up now and leave my shoes and clothes on, so I could talk to the cop who would be coming by.

Then there was a little movement inside the house and the stranger closed the door! Fuckers. At least 25 minutes leaving their front door wide open on the coldest day of the year. My wife called the cops back, and the lady said she would put a note in, but that the police might still show up.

So we waited around for another half hour before turning off all the lights and going to bed. Cops never came.

I wish we knew those neighbors. Could have just called them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #6177
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Go introduce yourselves in daylight soon
Old 01-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #6178
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

We had a shitty front door latch on our old house. It would look closed, but wasn't really, and a moderate gust of wind would blow it wide open. If we didn't happen to be in the living room, it would be awhile before the temperature in the house at large alerted us.

That, or the house across from you is haunted.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #6179
monster

I found lighters in the dollar store! they finally restocked with non childproof ones! YAY! A good rant works wonders sometimes.

Now I'm apprehensive because the cat is sat on the back of my chair purring and occasionally licking my hair a bit. As he does. but he's also making some weird pre-barf kind of noises.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #6180
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Torch him.

Tags
mild cheddar