The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #2671
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Goddamn Scary Monsters, by Rick Gualtieri

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #2672
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Damn I got the title wrong lol

It's Goddamned Freaky Monsters.

I was mixing it up with book 2 (Scary Dead Things)

The whole series is awesome

Bill the Vampire
Scary Dead Things
Holier than Thou
The Mourning Woods
Goddamned Freaky Monsters

I really cannot recommend them enough.

Here's the write up for book 1:

Quote:
Meet Bill Ryder: programmer, gamer geek, and hopeless dweeb when it comes to women. All he ever asked for out of life was to collect his paycheck, hang out with his buds, and eventually (someday) ask out the girl of his dreams.

However, then Bill met Sally. She was mysterious, aggressive, and best of all...smoking hot. Bill never stood a chance. Before he knew what was happening Sally had lead him to his death, and that was only the beginning of his troubles.

Now Bill awakes to find himself an undead predator of the night. The only problem is he’s still at the bottom of the food chain.

He’s in way over his head, surrounded by creatures more dangerous, better looking, and a whole lot cooler than he is. Worst of all is the dreaded Night Razor, a master vampire who just can’t stand him. He gives Bill a 90-day deadline to either prove himself or meet a more permanent kind of death, and the deck is definitely stacked against him.

But Bill isn’t exactly average. A vampire like him hasn’t been seen in over five centuries. He's got a few tricks up his sleeve, unlikely allies to help him out, and an attitude problem that makes him just too damn obnoxious to quit. He may just pull it off... if he doesn't get his teeth kicked in first.

And I really, really recommend the audiobooks, because the narrator is brilliant. Laugh out loud funny.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #2673
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Been listening to Kasher in the Rye, the (fucked-up-)childhood memoir of comedian Moshe Kasher. The audio is definitely better than regular reading in this case, as it's read by the comedian himself and the voices and delivery are of course hysterical. Highly recommended.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #2674
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Reading Under the Dome by Stephen King.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #2675
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Those are downstairs in the bedroom. On the eBook side, I have Odd Hours, Fast Food Nation and Finding Kansas (a book written by a kid that has just been diagnosed with Aspie's).

I think I'm good for awhile.
Attached Images

elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #2676
busterb
NSABFD

Finished Winter of the world. By Ken Follett. All freaking 940 pages.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #2677
Griff
still says videotape

Doing a re-read of Dune after 33/34 years... still holds up.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #2678
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Just started "Envy" by Sandra Brown

It appears to be a book about a book. I've only read the first chapter, though.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #2679
Clodfobble

Almost done with "Homicide," the relatively old nonfiction book by a journalist who embedded with the Baltimore police for a year, which inspired the TV show by the same name. Really fantastic weaving together of several dozen homicide cases the squads took during that time, plus lots of morbid but hysterical transcribed dialogue. If you liked The Wire, you will love this book.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #2680
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Damn I got the title wrong lol

It's Goddamned Freaky Monsters.

I was mixing it up with book 2 (Scary Dead Things)

The whole series is awesome

Bill the Vampire
Scary Dead Things
Holier than Thou
The Mourning Woods
Goddamned Freaky Monsters

I really cannot recommend them enough.

Here's the write up for book 1:

And I really, really recommend the audiobooks, because the narrator is brilliant. Laugh out loud funny.
Only 6 hours long... And still costs one full credit. That's like paying for the buffet, but only eating soup and salad.

I like to stay above the 15 hour line.

I do have 3 credits right now though...

Hmm.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #2681
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Ooooo. Free! On Audible :

Free: The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories : The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories

by R. A. Salvatore
Narrated by An All-Star Cast
Series: The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories
10 hrs and 24 mins
4.44 (284)
PUBLISHER'S SUMMARY

The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories expands upon the epic legend of the dark elf with 12 tales performed by the all-star cast of Felicia Day, Dan Harmon, Greg Grunberg, Tom Felton, Danny Pudi, Sean Astin, Melissa Rauch, Ice-T, Wil Wheaton, Al Yankovic, Michael Chiklis, and David Duchovny!
For years, the Legend of Drizzt has included short stories published in Forgotten Realms anthologies and Dragon magazine. Available here for the first time in audio are all the classic stories by the New York Times best-selling author R. A. Salvatore!
From the startling origin of Drizzt’s panther companion, to the tale of Jarlaxle and Entreri’s first encounter with the dragon sisters, the tales in The Collected Stories enrich this vividly-imagined series by building the world around Drizzt through exploring the backstories of side characters and magical locations.
In celebration of the 40th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons this year, The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories will be available for free for forty (40) days, starting August 12th 2014 12:01am ET through September 20th 2014 11:59PM ET.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:02 PM   #2682
Clodfobble

Been listening to Dan Savage's "The Kid," about the adoption of his son with his then-boyfriend now-husband. It's the funniest one of his that I've listened to; the politics is minimal. (Not that I disagree with his politics necessarily, but none of his views on gay rights will come as a surprise.)
Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #2683
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Dan Simmons is a pretty good writer. I just finished Olympos. Sequel to Ilium. Both are quite long, involved and multi layered works.

You like the characters, they grow, and change and its all good.... Until the end of the second book...

Its like he just got tired of the story and it just kind of... fades away. Meh.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #2684
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I am trapped in a bizarre vortex of reading. Currently, I am reading Buddhism for Dummies, The Complete Works of Flavius Josephus, and conducting historical research on the usage of camels in Alabama and Mississippi prior to the start of the Civil War. Don't forget to add my Rosetta Stone course in Vietnamese. I'm serious.

Unfortunately, my dreams combine these works at night. Dreams of Buddha riding a camel along the Tombigbee River or Roman Legions, speaking Vietnamese, fighting in the Civil War can be unsettling.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:56 AM   #2685
stellaleon

Just started Winter of the World by Ken Follett.

Tags
books