Old 07-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #676
Griff
still says videotape

I see what you did there.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #677
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's a tank engine.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #678
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Because horsepower don't mean shit, torque is what does work.
Any kid from elementary school science can see through that lie. Same torque can be obtained from the motor in an electric clock. Just change gear ratios.

It is a 19.5 horsepower per liter engine. If diesel, then acceptable for that period. If gasoline, it was a marginal design. Which would explain why it was only made for a short time. Too little speed to provide necessary torque - due to insufficient horsepower.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #679
Rhianne
Nearly done.

TW is right. HP is a calculation taken directly from the torque (HP = Torque lb-ft x RPM / 5252). The low HP figure is a result only of the low-revving nature of the engine.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #680
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A57_multibank

Quote:
The Chrysler A57 Multibank is a 30-cylinder 1,253 cu in (20.5 L) engine that was created in 1941 as America entered World War II. It was born out of the necessity for a rear-mounted tank engine to be developed and produced in the shortest time possible for use in the M3A4 Lee medium tank and its successor M4A4 Sherman medium tank. Each had lengthened hulls to accommodate the A57.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #681
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Any kid from elementary school science can see through that lie. Same torque can be obtained from the motor in an electric clock. Just change gear ratios.
That electric clock motor won't provide enough torque to overcome the frictional loss in all the gears it would take to do anything useful.
All the gears in the world won't change the torque the motor produces, just multiply the torque by reducing the speed of the output thereby reducing the calculated horsepower.

Theory is bullshit, torque does the work.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #682
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Who say cheaters never win, both NHRA and NASCAR checked the Carb, Intake, Bore, Stroke and Heads,
but not the bottom end. Taking off the Intake they should have spotted the cam bearings though.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #683
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm curious about how those connecting rod internal bearing races work. They look like in the picture that there's a race on the bearings... Which makes me wonder how they got the bearing/race onto the crank.

Any help?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #684
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This crankshaft is a one piece and is heat treated and surface hardened. The connecting rods and bearing races are split in the middle. The bearing retainers are also split in half and assembled around the crankshaft, and split races are in the block and main bearing caps. The roller bearings run directly on the hardened crankshaft.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #685
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thanks, key phrase "split races", is a new thing to me. I think I can imagine it now.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #686
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Were the rollers illegal?
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:59 PM   #687
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh yes, very. Especially NASCAR who wants to make everything same same. Using those bearings cut down on frictional losses and you could use a smaller oil pump that took much less parasitic power from the engine. Might be good for 5 mph compared to a legal engine, and in NASCAR that's huge. NHRA it would be OK in modified classes but very illegal in stock, SS, even FX classes.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #688
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That electric clock motor won't provide enough torque to overcome the frictional loss in all the gears
You have assumed conventional gears.

And have totally ignored the point. Same torque can be provided by all sorts of horsepower - high and low. Irrelevant is torque when speed also matters. Only increased horsepower means sufficient speed at that torque. Only horsepower matters. Even a 2 liter four cylinder engine can provide the same torque. But does not have speed.

Obviously that torque myth is popular among many who forget that simple formula taught in school science.

Torque is obviously irrelevant if enough horsepower does not exist to provide minimal speed. Only horsepower matters.

Why do eighteen wheelers with 350 horsepower engines have enough torque for 60,000 pounds? Many gears. Which eighteen wheelers get up to speed faster? Those with 500 horsepower engines. Both have same torque. More horsepower means better speed (and acceleration).

Horsepower is the relevant number.

How did Shell create a 100 MPG car in the 1950s? A two horsepower engine had plenty of torque - and not much speed. Simple multiplication.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #689
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, I assumed conventional gears, my bad for not considering your magical frictionless fairy gears. My only excuse is I'm stuck in the real world.

You have it backwards as usual, horsepower is the product of torque times speed over constant. The 30 cylinder engine was designed to produce the torque they needed at the speed they wanted. Yes the hp rating could be increased by increasing the RPMs, but that would be stupid. All that would be accomplished is more wear on the engine and the need to gear it back down to a usable speed. They already had the torque they needed and Torque Does the Work.

Your 2 liter 4 won't get far in a tank or a semi.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:01 PM   #690
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The basic bicycle is a pretty simple design, but it took a long time and lots of dead ends to get there. I have a feeling clothing had a lot to do with it.
Attached Images