The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #31
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I'm sure shes already done that... *hiccup*
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #32
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Remember Wolf, when god closes one door, he makes lemonade.

Re: lawyers, see this
Old 04-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #33
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Wolf, did they go through the proper process? Were you "counselled" or warned? Is there company policy against whatever it is that you were supposed to have done? You might be shocked when you get fired, but you should never be surprised. If you were surprised, it's likely that this is a personal issue, which, IMHO, would be inappropriate dismissal.
That's the beauty of "at will" employment. Even if it was personal? Not illegal. Unless wolf can prove it was, say, gender, or age, or religion-based, then it's legal to fire her for any reason.

However, if they have procedures on the books that they didn't follow (for example, giving a written warning for a first offense), it might make it much harder for them to defend, which increases the chance for a settlement.

This sucks big time, wolf. Good luck with the lawyer.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #34
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post

My biggest concern right now is figuring out how to reply to questions on the unemployment form without making myself ineligible for benefits.
I suppose it is finding the words for how and what you feel happened.The position you will take, which cannot be the same as your employer.
( as you know, I am sure )

I feel for ya
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
Tulip
Professor

I hope it's not too late for me to say I'm sorry to hear what happened to you.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #36
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
I hope it's not too late for me to say I'm sorry to hear what happened to you.
you're too late for that, but not too late to tell her to sue them. I think we're still doing that. Actually, I think we're now suggesting new careers for her.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #37
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Wolf, you didn't happen to be in a union that could protect you, did you?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #38
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I have an appointment with an attorney tomorrow morning. He seems okay, was recommended by a friend who is an attorney with the wrong sort of practice.

Free consultation, and his rate isn't as frightening as the other one that I was quoted yesterday by the lawyer with the friendliest website.

I have another attorney option if this guy doesn't pan out. He seems very focused on seeking a cause of action against the nuthouse.

My biggest concern right now is figuring out how to reply to questions on the unemployment form without making myself ineligible for benefits.
If they have a box marked "other" for reason for being unemployed, check that. Then in the space provided, explain in your own words what happened. Don't be adversarial or anything like that. Be very professional and let them know it was due to a mis-understanding.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have seen the attorney, and he thinks he should be able to get more than is being offered. Of course, everything starts with a $1,000 retainer.

I'm confused and worried. Do I try for bonus points with no guarantee of any recovery, or slink away?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #40
monster
I hear them call the tide

oh wolf, I'm so sorry, I wish I could help and advise. $1,000 seems a lot, but there's a lot at stake. Is is possible to fight and lose what is already on the table?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #41
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

You have both my condolences and prayers wolf. My advice is still try and get out, go to the park or the museum on a free day.
Also take inventory of your transferable of skills.
I have been unemployed until about a week ago, so I have a idea what happens when one is out of work.

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #42
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
oh wolf, I'm so sorry, I wish I could help and advise. $1,000 seems a lot, but there's a lot at stake. Is is possible to fight and lose what is already on the table?
Only you know how things really went down. If you really truly believe the judge will look at it and say, "WTF - give this woman her job or a pile of money" then the deck is stacked against you. $1,000 is a lot to hand an attorney unless really truly believe the court will find the company at fault and order them to pay.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #43
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That's $1K just to start, unknown how much more they might need to continue the case ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #44
lookout123
changed his status to single

IMO if the attorney really thought he had a chance of getting something out of this he'd be talking about taking the case on a contingency basis. Many moons ago a friend was fired by a national shoe company and she had attorneys lined up to take the case. She ended up winning 3 years pay and handed a little over 1/3 of that to the attorney who handled it.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #45
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I wondered about that. I thought what would be in it for a lawyer for an employment contingency case? What's the most one could get, back pay, the job back? Did your friend wait three years for the settlement to occur or did they award her for wrongful termination regardless of time?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote