The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #8626
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Very best wishes out to Carrot and his continuing therapies.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #8627
Nirvana
Back in 10

Poor little Carrot! None of my business the deal you had with his breeder but I would have never sold anyone a dog with problems or I would have taken one back. I don't know how prevalent this is in Beardies makes me sad if they are just being knowledgeable in their breeding.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #8628
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Yeah, I guess I assumed it was a rescue dog.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #8629
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Generally speaking hip dysplasia can't be diagnosed until the dog is over 6 months old. Often older than that. Most dogs aren't routinely hip scored until around a year old. Those with dysplasia often display few to no symptoms during the early stages, with many not showing definite signs of problems until the joint is very badly damaged. It is quite common that dogs will suddenly appear to develop mobility problems, limps or lameness around 18 months old. We got him early with a diagnosis at just under 9 months.

It is a problem with most medium and large breeds. His parents were both within accepted/expected ranges for the breed on hip and elbow scoring. But that is never a guarantee. The breeder did nothing wrong, and he was to all intents and purposes a healthy, normal pup when she sold him.

Now...I thought I spotted something in his movements when I went to meet him at 4 months old. But I pushed it aside, because that is way too young to be able to tell something like that. Neither the breeder (her first litter) nor her husband (breeder of longstanding), nor the vet that checked the litter, nor the breeder's mentor (a very experienced breeder) saw anything that worried them.

As he got older, my niggling worry started to crystalise into something more definite.

I know the breeder would have been willing to take Carrot back and find other arrangements for him had I wanted that, but really...it's Carrot. I'd already decided I wanted him when I went to see him at 4 months. I took him on with the thought at the back of my mind that there may be something going on with his legs or hips. I already knew I wanted him. And if I was right and I was spotting something then someone was going to have to help him through this stuff. Might as well be me.

I have informed the breeder though. Because she may want to look at partnering Ellie with a different stud in future. All depends really on if the rest of the litter are affected and to what degree. Carrot's dysplasia (as far as we can tell from xrays and physical examination) is at the lower end of the scale. Merlot hasn't shown the same clumsiness or sensitivity that Carrot has, and their vet doesn't think there's a need to go down the xray and testing route with him. I don't know about the rest of the litter.

Nobody has done anything wrong. or rather, we've probably all done some stuff wrong and some stuff right. HD is partly down to genetic predisposition and partly environmental impact during early development. If the pups played too rough when they were together as a litter, early injuries can be what kicks off the skewed development. Or, they may be introduced to daily stairs climbing too young. The balance between genetic and environmental is still unknown. It's possible he was always going to have this, or it's possible he is like this because of early environmental issues. It's also possible that he'd have been a lot worse by now had I not got him checked several months before most people think it is necessary.

Last edited by DanaC; 01-11-2013 at 06:23 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #8630
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Yeah, I guess I assumed it was a rescue dog.
*grins*

You must have missed the puppysearch saga this time last year. I flew to Guernsey to meet Carrot the first time. Then he and two of his sibs came over to the mainland with another beardie owner on a ferry and we had to drive down south to get him.

This time last year I could tell you every kc registered beardie with a litter due, where they were based in the UK, and when they were expected.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #8631
Nirvana
Back in 10

Dana
I thought you had gone to knowledgeable breeders. I hope they are being supportive and I hope Carrot has a fabulous life with you.

I have a breed prone to dysplaisia Australian Cattle Dogs. Would never breed one before 2 years old because of this. The two I have now were tested {GOOD}but never bred. Its nice to see breeders doing the right thing and sometimes genetics is a crap shoot.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #8632
DanaC

Just realised I said I spotted it when I met him at four months.... Should have read four weeks! I got him for keeps at 8 weeks
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #8633
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

Breaks my heart that Carrot (and you) are going thru this. My goodness, Wyn and Carrot are almost the same age and I can't imagine how Wyn would respond or how upset I'd be if one of his little legs or a hip gave out on him.

Yesterday Wyn and I went for a long hike in an open area north of town. I can let him off the leash there, and I just have to laugh watching him paddle through the snow as fast as his little short legs will let him go (which is damn fast, btw). He beat me to the top of a steep hill where we both watched the sunset before scrambling down again, Wyn still leading the way on his little legs.

I'm sending good thoughts across the pond for Carrot's speedy treatment and recovery. May you both soon be climbing up to wonderful places of your own!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #8634
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's a shame Carrot has a problem, but since he does, I'm glad he's got the worlds best mom to take care of him.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #8635
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

An angel left this earth on Thursday.

My ex's lifelong best friend, and housemate, died in his sleep. He had been sick and he thought he maybe had food poisoning. My ex went home after taking his dad somewhere and found him.

I am devastated. I loved him very much. He was a true genuine spirit, one of a kind. He was an artist, owner of a family owned jewelry store that has been in this town since the 1830s. He made jewelry for everyone in town, I think. He also took up painting, and painted a replica of Starry Night just for me. It's absolutely beautiful.

I can't stop thinking about him, and all those millions of memories. Man we had some times, all of us. I cry and cry and it won't stop the hurt...and I know how much it is hurting others.

It doesn't make sense, as these things never do.

I am at the public library which is part of the building that houses the store, and used to house our old bar. We used to sneak into this building and take tours, flashlights in hand, when it was falling to ruins. I sit here and look around and think of him.

I will miss him forever.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #8636
Griff
still says videotape

I'm so sorry to hear this im. I was just thinking of someone who may be on his way out as well and how he really isn't replaceable. Some people mark us and others do not...
Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #8637
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

So sorry to hear this Infi. He will live on in your many memories, but that doesn't help the pain you are feeling right now.

Sent by thought transference.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #8638
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I'm so sorry for your loss, IM. Sending hugs.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #8639
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Sorry for the loss of your dear friend, infi. Wishing you peace in your grief.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #8640
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm so sorry for Jaydaan, DanaC and IM for all their troubles....and everyone's really.

Ever hear of the Pleasure Principle? It's when we get to die and NONE of this shit happens.

Personally, I can't wait. Cure me or kill me; I don't care which one but do it.

Binged. five days. scrounged some valiums to bring me down a bit softer. I hate; no, I LOATHE myself. I've done everything they tell me to do. I fail, I fail, I fail.

In light of what you all are going thru this is nada. but I want to be well or die. I'm sick of this POS existence, this loneliness that never ends (some days I'm okay with it but not when I'm coming down all by myself and NOT ONE AA PERSON CALLED TO SEE IF I WAS ALIVE. And I go to meetings, I go; I go. I read the big book, call my sponsor, do CBT, take meds and pray.

NOTHING WORKS.
Oh, I know. I'm not 'working the program'. if I WAS I'd be FINE.

if you had a progressive, chronic and terminal disease and they told you the cure was to drink coffee and talk about your problems-----what would you think? Voodoo? A joke? I'm sick; not bad. I have to keep reminding myself that.

and I'm very very lonely. I even miss my ex. I wish I had the guts to just DIE but it seems I've the constitution of a Cossack.

I hate hate hate myself.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss