The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-08-2002, 01:05 PM   #1
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Streamlining Government

Good news! Previous administrations have talked about making the government more efficient... maybe this one's actually gonna try to do it!

Everybody's favorite Director of Homeland Security, Tom Ridge, was speaking to the National Press Club yesterday about possibly reorganizing a few chunks of the Federal government:
Quote:
"We may make some recommendations about the integration or consolidation of some of these departments that will certainly need congressional approval," Ridge said.
(You can read about it here if you're really curious.)

Great! Imagine how much more secure we'll all be when they get around to combining the FBI-CIA-NSA-ATF-NRO-INS into one tidy little package!

I'd like to stay and chat, but I must go and bury my firearms and my stockpile of Mercury dimes, silver dollars and krugerrands in the back yard.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:44 PM   #2
Nic Name
retired

I think it's gonna be one big Department of Infinite Justice.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:08 PM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Streamlining Government

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy
Good news! Previous administrations have talked about making the government more efficient... maybe this one's actually gonna try to do it!
This streamlining is a CLASSIC example. When top management is so ignorant of how the work gets done, they create more levels of bureaucracy. Not just workers. More high level, high paid, indecsive executives. Why? Because problems involving dirty fingers are just too complex for the MBA educated.

Take 1970s Ford and GM - both lead by MBA educated executives. Under MBAs, both Ford and GM upper managments tripled when MBAs took over! More executives meant less decisions and stifled innovation - well documented historical fact. As each MBA educated executive could not solve manufacturing and design problems, he hires assistants - more layers of bureacracy. MBA trained assistants in turn hired assistants.

As one engineer in GM demonstrated to us: a list of every boss between himself and Roger Smith. 52 bosses.

What is Tom Ridge and the Office of Heartland Security? Just more layers of bureacracy. Anyone who does not see this gross example of mismanagement simply has never been educated in the fundamentals of business or quality. Yes, it is that fundamentally obvious.

How did Ford address their inferior quality created by 48 levels of bureaucracy? They fired all but six layers of management. How many layers in the world's largest bureacracy - the Catholic Church? 5 layers. Law enforcement requires how many layers between the President and the Federal agent? Only an MBA would disagree because this reality makes his MBA education irrelevant.

We will know George Jr has finally thrown away his MBA degree when he too eliminates the reason for lack of coordination between various law enforcement agencies. He will eliminate excessive management levels and empower the workers to do their job.

Ohh... this means that mandatory drug sentences will be eliminated so that judges can actually convict based upon merits of the crime. Oh my... That means the power hungry politicians must empower the workers? Not going to happen in a Republican administration where the top man is a classic example of the anti-innovative. Where the party theme is always to increase spending rather than solve problems. (Previous examples were Johnson, Nixon and Reagan).

The top man is an MBA which means his solutions always involve more bureacracy - and throwing money, like a grenade, to solve problems. Perot even told us how evil this managment concept is. Did we read it - or even listen? Office of Homeland Security is a classic example of more bureacracy, less efficiency, more big executive perks, and screw all decent, innovative Americans.

Only an MBA could appreciate more layers of top management - those who actually do law enforcement be damned. No wonder George Jr's budget brings back the policies of another neo-classical economic era - Reaganomics and budget deficients.

We know streamlining will not happen. The current president does not possess knowledge nor experience to solve management problems. He therefore uses his MBA principals to spend money - which is consistent with right wing extremist Republican rhetoric. How much money for helicopters to solve American drug problems in Columbia (what nonsense)? How much for a missile defense system that even George Carlin can see right through (as if Reagan's Star Wars did not make us all look like fools)? How much for C-130s and Luxery Cruise ships that the military does not want? How much for Dare which has never and will never work? How much for a new joint military command for 'heartland' law enforcement (why am I the only one who was so appalled at that MBA presidential idea)? How much for economic stimulus that even Wall Street says is undersireable? Just more examples of an MBA streamling government - or a politician lying.

No president since Nixon ever deserved so much logical criticism. No president since Nixon has so defiled logical thought. How then can anyone think this Homeland Security nonsense will solve the problem. Maybe the MBA should have first defined the problem before throwing political friends into a new job?

Someone actually thinks an MBA will streamline government? Is he a defrocked pedophile priest or just sadly mistaken. Politicians who run governments into deficient spending have never, in history, streamlined government. Never. That last sentence alone proves that the Office of Heartland Security is more big government and more excessive government spending.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 10:32 PM   #4
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

Re: Re: Streamlining Government

Quote:
Originally posted by tw

This streamlining is a CLASSIC example. When top management is so ignorant of how the work gets done, they create more levels of bureaucracy. Not just workers. More high level, high paid, indecsive executives.

But as the media has brainwashed us into believing, we are in an economic slump. And with the recent collapse of Enron, I think more people are going to be weary of who exactly they are looking for. With the slowdown, businesses are making less money (relatively). So logic tells me that less money means that they are going to cut useless jobs. Yeah, those do-nothing management suckers are gonna get canned. So yes, I do believe that some degree of streamling is going to take place, just for a different reason. Its not going to be buddy here that does it, its going to be the economy's fault. And take my word, this is going to happen across the board.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:30 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Re: Re: Streamlining Government

Quote:
Originally posted by verbatim
But as the media has brainwashed us into believing, we are in an economic slump.
Recession was George Jr's excuse last year. The new excuse is 11 Sept. Wrap yourself in the flag and tell people it is their partriotic duty to buy more things. Unfortunately too many have believed this rhetoric. They are buying too many things that George Jr says.

What George will not say is why Enron and Global Crossing happened. Arthur Levitt, Clinton's SEC chairman saw it coming years ago and tried to stop it. Instead 13 major (unnamed) politicians - we now know lead by Sen Tauzin (R-LA) - told the SEC in no uncertain terms that any legislation to rein in accounting firms will result in no budget for the SEC. As it is, the SEC budget has decreased with inflation.

Would our president lie when he doesn't tell the whole truth?

Funny. The big six accounting firms paid $1billion in fines for their audits of the S&Ls. The big six (now big five) bought politicians (legalized campaign bribes) and had those laws neutralized in the early 1990s. Now American accounting firms are so corrupt that they will probably get away with it (except Arthur Andresen). 3 of the big five may be fully involved in massive book cooking in too many corporations.

So big business will need more top management to deal with these problems? Remember Roger Smith of GM who was dishing out record bonuses to GM top management when the company was downsizing - during the filming of Roger and Me. We call it streamlining when we fire employees and give bonuses to top management?

Clearly that is George Jr's version of streamlining. What do you expect? He is an MBA from Yale with no successful business experience - no dirt under his fingernails. Therefore his idea of streamlining is more top managers - more bureacracy - the Office of Heartland Security. Instead he should be calling for complete regulation of a corrupt industry.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote