The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #346
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

The MIL is arriving today for her birthday visit and she just called to say she was leaving. She called just as "Lucifer" by the Alan Parsons Project began playing.

Talk about an "At Bat" song!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #347
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Mildly amusing me today (although I suspect it will wear thin over the next few weeks) is the media hysteria surrounding the Melbourne Storm.
The Storm are a rugby league club, founded in the mid-1990s as part of the superleague shennanigans.
Turns out they have been deliberately cheating the salary cap. Careful, calculated, deliberate cheating; two sets of books, hidden in a secret file in the secret safe, kind of cheating. Been at it for years.
Now that it has come out, they have been thoroughly spanked: stripped of two premierships, three minor premierships, all associated prize money (well over $1 mil), fined $500,000, stripped of all this years points, and not eligible to win any points for the rest of this year.
Ouch. But still, they were deliberately cheating. It is quite possible that the club will collapse under this and never rise again.
I find it amusing for two reasons. The whole club was born when aggressive business muscled its way into sport. Now folks seem startled that they were doing business just like, well, business. No kiddin?
The other source of amusement is how the media are in a tizz about it all as if it really mattered. The Biggest Scandal in Australian Sport Evah!!!
Yawn.
Given what rugby league players get up to (steroids, drugs, drunkenness, public violence, rape, gang rape ...) this is really quite mild.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #348
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's because you're not a fan. Imagine what LJ would do if it happened to the Cowboys.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:03 AM   #349
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Given what rugby league players get up to (steroids, drugs, drunkenness, public violence, rape, gang rape ...) this is really quite mild.
American football has similar problems. I find the disconnects startling. The team I follow got rid of a guy for smoking dope but have so far hung on to a guy who is an unproven but obvious serial rapist.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #350
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yehbut....drugs are bad, mmmkay?

It never ceases to amaze me that people (by which I of course mean the media :P) seem regularly to be, as Zen suggests, surprised when a business enters a previously unbusinesslike area and then that area starts to become businesslike. With all that this implies.

We recently had a media storm of our own that, frankly, surprised me somewhat. The captain of the England team (football) was found to have serially cheated on his wife. And in particular that one of the women he cheated with was the partner of a team member. Reaching absurd proportions when people (by which I mean the press and a few particularly vocal individuals) began calling for his removal or resignation as Captain, not on the grounds of poor captaincy (arguably fucking a team mate's girl could be considered at the very least an unforgivable faux pas); but, rather on the grounds of immorality. He ended up stepping down from the role.

Quite aside from the irritation of various public figures waxing lyrical about the moral role of a captain and footballer; having every red top paper salivating over the details of the affairs, as aided by helpful ex-conquests in shag-and-tell exclusives, was unpleasant. The exclusives I'd have expected; but the moral panic seemed a little over the top:P

Last edited by DanaC; 04-25-2010 at 07:24 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #351
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Wait, Tiger Woods plays football for England too? Or should England be "En-gland"?

Yeah, the star player and Captain of an Aussie rules team had a similar situation, being sprung bonking the vice-captain's wife in the toilet at a pre-season party. Had to resign, but came back the next year for a different team.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #352
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I just found out I will be supervising the new position we are interviewing for today.

Ha! I said, when I took this job, yeah I don't want to be in charge of anyone anymore.

It won't be bad. I feel like I should ask for more cash.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #353
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Just make sure you teach them wrong - for your own amusement.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #354
Shawnee123

I shall teach them to drape their countenances in the finest of pancakes.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #355
Shawnee123

We could skip this afternoon's interview: this first woman was awesome! The director and asst director thought so too. The afternoon interview is with a current employee from another office on campus. She will really need to BRING IT.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #356
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Mildly amusing me today (although I suspect it will wear thin over the next few weeks) is the media hysteria surrounding the Melbourne Storm.
The Storm are a rugby league club, founded in the mid-1990s as part of the superleague shennanigans.
Turns out they have been deliberately cheating the salary cap. Careful, calculated, deliberate cheating; two sets of books, hidden in a secret file in the secret safe, kind of cheating. Been at it for years.
Now that it has come out, they have been thoroughly spanked: stripped of two premierships, three minor premierships, all associated prize money (well over $1 mil), fined $500,000, stripped of all this years points, and not eligible to win any points for the rest of this year.
Ouch. But still, they were deliberately cheating. It is quite possible that the club will collapse under this and never rise again.
I find it amusing for two reasons. The whole club was born when aggressive business muscled its way into sport. Now folks seem startled that they were doing business just like, well, business. No kiddin?
The other source of amusement is how the media are in a tizz about it all as if it really mattered. The Biggest Scandal in Australian Sport Evah!!!
Yawn.
That'll teach you to follow or care about League...

Should have been following Union.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #357
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Hey, I never said I cared about it. It was just in the news.

But yes, Union clubs are much better scandal-wise. I wouldn't be surprised if they are cheating in some way, but they'll be clever and discrete enough to not get caught.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #358
Shawnee123

I'm amused.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #359
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

One of my corporate contracts has picked up a client that has offices in the UK, and would like their voiceover audio for those modules to be done with a British accent.

But they really don't want to deal with finding new voicetalent if they don't have to. So they told me to go ahead and record a sample and see if the client is convinced.

I have absolutely no idea if it'll fly. I haven't practiced a serious accent since high school theatre. It's gonna be nuts if I get recurring work off this.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #360
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I hope you'll post a sample.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote