The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #841
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah, me too. On the Moussaka. Don't even know what possessed me to by it in the first place. Went shopping in the wrong frame of mind and bought two ready meals at random.

Am trying to cut down on the number of ready meals now though. Used to be pretty much all I ate. Am trying to get that down to two or three times a week.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #842
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm pretty much only eating things I can grow or kill. Heard that advice on Radio 4.
Except of course I can't grow or kill anything. But it's the thought that counts.

I'm having lots of brown rice and quinoa and I couldn't kill those for example.
But no Ian Hislop and I might be able to make him grow a bit.

Eating fresh and healthy has to become a lifestyle - like going to the gym.
It's not something you can dabble in. IMHO of course.
I'm committed. Or should be (old joke, haha, older than Zsa Zsa but still alive)
But it's working currently because it requires time and planning and I have much spare time to fill now.

So saying, I am waiting for the oven to be free so I can make a Nigella Vanilla Cake. Doubt I'll eat any, but I got a couple of vanilla items from school colleagues for Christmas, so I want to hit them with a BAM! vanilla treat. Sunday is Sundae's baking day.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #843
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I have nothing in the damned cupboard. Some half-used taco seasoning mix, some brown rice, cans of tomatoes....

I want a cook. I want to order food and have it brought to me from on high----I want the Star Trek Second Generation method of food-getting!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #844
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I have eggs!

But the pan is dirty.

I won't have eggs.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #845
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Boil the eggs. Just a thought.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #846
chrisinhouston
Professor

We just got in to Oahu, Hawaii yesterday afternoon since we are in a condo with a full kitchen we hit Safeway to get stocked up. We were too tired to go out but still hungry so I got busy and did what I call potato hash, basically some chopped onions, garlic and potatoes pan fried until brown and crispy. Then I fried up a slice of bacon, what was left of the raw onion and a clove or 2 of garlic and then fried up something I have never tried before, Chinese mustard cabbage, they call it Kai Choy and it looked really fresh and locally grown. It had a swiss chard texture but was that pungent green like cabbage and had a peppery taste but not strong at all. Finished it off with a bit of New Zealand Sauvigon Blanc to finalize the braise.

Finished the dinner plates with some fresh pan seared marlin. I just dusted it with some Hawaiian sea salt and cracked pepper and seared it in olive oil until lightly done. Removed the fish, added some minced green onion tops to brown and a splash of white wine and a 2 TB of butter... My version of a brown butter sauce!

Looking forward to lots of local sourced ingredients and fresh fish while here in Hawaii where my wife will be working yet again while I go swimming or hiking around.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #847
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

It's occurred to me, Dana, that cooking for one as you are, yo might benefit from getting one of these. (I've mentioned it before, here). It's very easy to use and cheap to run. Can be used to heat/reheat ready meals, slices of pizza, or for "proper" food ...
Fuck! I've just noticed the price, it was a lot cheaper when I got one. However, if you use it whenever you would have used a full-size oven to heat/reheat/grill something, you will have saved that amount of money on your leccy bill within the first year or less ...
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #848
DanaC

Oh, I used tohave a similar thing. And a standard slow cooker too. Hardly ever used them. Since I absolutely won;t leave anything plugged in and switched on when I away from the house (except the fridge obviously:P) they didn;t prove all that easier than throwing something in the oven, pan or microwave.

I have a teeny tiny house with kitchen facilities that a caravan would despise as inadequate. Stuff like that (and the ill-fated juicer J bought me) just mean extra stuff to store or facilitate on my tiny worksurface.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #849
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I have a teeny tiny house with kitchen facilities that a caravan would despise as inadequate.
that is teh funneh.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #850
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Just had 3 x Hot & Spicy Chicken Wings (bought).
Pretty good.

Last night I slow roasted red onions, white sweet potatoes and Roquito peppers and also made my stanard honey and mustard carrots. So 15 mins for the chicken and we were good to go. I even left some. I do feel a bit bloaty now though.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #851
chrisinhouston
Professor

The Marriott condo where we are staying in Oahu has grills so I threw on a butterflied leg of lamb and some asparagus and made a rice pilaf in the supplied rice cooker in our room's kitchen. Rather an Asian influence here.

Lamb should be interesting as I marinated it with a mix of EVOO, red wine, salt and pepper and miso and a touch of toasted sesame oil.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #852
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
The Marriott condo where we are staying in Oahu has grills so I threw on a butterflied leg of lamb and some asparagus and made a rice pilaf in the supplied rice cooker in our room's kitchen. Rather an Asian influence here.

Lamb should be interesting as I marinated it with a mix of EVOO, red wine, salt and pepper and miso and a touch of toasted sesame oil.
Lamb was great! Wife gave the meal 5 stars and I reminded her if we had eaten out in Waikiki it would have been over $250
Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #853
DanaC

Sounds great, Chris. And you sound like you're having a ball
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #854
glatt

That lamb sounds outstanding.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #855
chrisinhouston
Professor

Hawaii markets have a great stock of all kinds of Asian food supplies so I got some toasted nori sheets and have been experimenting with sushi since we also have a great supply of really fresh fish!

Mostly I'm making maki type rolls cut into sliced rounds and hand rolls. I use brown rice since I quit eating the white stuff awhile back.

Today I made a great roll with rice, cucumber, carrot and ahi tuna belly which is very tender and has a buttery taste.