The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

How much is too much

How much is too much to spend on a trip? While looking for trips for next year, I ran across national geographic led trips. I mean, I am not looking at the ones that are 10,000 or above (there are a surprising amount of those!), but still pricey. Since I am going on my own, I have to pay more, but I'm used to that.

I think they might be fantastic adventures. I am really tempted to book one for the end of the year in Yellowstone, but I do tend to be spontaneous.....
Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
glatt

Everyone has a different price point.

For me, we spend about 10,000 for a family of four to go overseas for a week or so. If doing a domestic vacation, I'd expect to be more in the 4,000-5,000 range for a family of four. For a car trip, I'd expect a week to be around 2,000 - 3,000 for a family of four.

The real question is what can you afford, and what do you value? What is that money buying you?

You can do a trip for much much cheaper if you plan it by yourself. Tours are nice because you can check out mentally and you have a group to share it with but you pay for that.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Spend as much as you can beg, borrow, and steal, after all we deserve the best vacation pictures you can get.
Seriously though, it depends on where you want to allocate your discretionary funds. If you want to party every weekend then it's less for vacation and vice versa. But weighing cost vs the potential experience, that's purely personal. When you get to the old folks home what are the pictures you took and the pride in saying been there, done that, worth?
Old 08-12-2017, 02:50 AM   #4
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
How much is too much to spend on a trip? While looking for trips for next year, I ran across national geographic led trips. I mean, I am not looking at the ones that are 10,000 or above (there are a surprising amount of those!), but still pricey. Since I am going on my own, I have to pay more, but I'm used to that.

I think they might be fantastic adventures. I am really tempted to book one for the end of the year in Yellowstone, but I do tend to be spontaneous.....
If you're sure of the value for money, spend as much as you can afford. I believe that experiences are the best thing you can spend money on bar none.
Glatt is right, of course, that it's cheaper to organise it all yourself but I, for one, relish leaving all that shit to someone else when I'm on holiday. I know I can do intrepid, I've done intrepid, holidays are for relaxation (enjoyment, edjumacation, interest ...).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
I believe that experiences are the best thing you can spend money on bar none.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #6
glatt

Yeah. It's worth spending whatever you can afford.

I went for a biplane ride on my last vacation. Worth it
Old 08-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

They said it. It's about your personal value for money -but spend as much as you can afford.

Everyone has different values. For example..... we were just in Rome and took a day trip to Pompeii. We've always been DIY/explorer types, but mooted for once just joining a tour and not having to worry any more about it -something which would generally have been out of our budget on most other trips. But as we looked into it, you only got 2 hours on site, "bathroom breaks" turned out to be commercial opportunities for vendors in bed with the tour company, more time was spent on the bus than anywhere else..... So we forked out big bucks to take the bullet train by ourselves and got 7 hours in the ruins, no sidetracks we didn't want, 1h 10 minutes each way @ 299kph. We didn't spend an awful lot less than we would've on a day coach trip. But we were not disappointed.

Figure out how much you can afford to spend then see what you can get for it. Then compare those options.

Get some guide books from the library, see what they recommend vis-ŕ-vis tours worth taking, sights not to miss... then see what packages you can find that include those things, contemplate how easy/much fun or not it would be to do it by yourself and that should give you a better idea of where your values lie/what is the type of experience worth paying for and what you could honestly miss and not lose sleep over. then see what really fits the bill and the budget.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
bbro

Well, the thing is, I wouldn't take a trip to Iceland or Alaska or Morocco on my own, I don't think. Too nervous about where to go, how to do it, etc. Especially on my own (ALWAYS assume I will be on my own). It might be cheaper to plan it all, but I won't have to worry about transportation, part of my foods, etc. It doesn't include airfare which sucks, but it's a trade off, I suppose.

The trip I am looking at is to Iceland. They have trips all over the world that are more affordable than the big ones with no fee for a solo traveler. I think I am going to go, I just need to get my passport! Hopefully, I can make it to the Feb or Mar trip because I want to go to an ice cave.

This is the one I am looking at. They have options that you can add to the trip for activities during the free time.

Day 1 — Reykjavík
Arrive at any time.

Day 2 — Golden Circle/Selfoss
From Reykjavík, set out on a tour of the celebrated Golden Circle. Walk through Thingvellir National Park, which marks the meeting point of the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates. Continue to the mighty Gullfoss waterfall, and then visit Geysir, the hot springs for which all other geysers are named. Tour a geothermal power plant, and enjoy lunch made from greenhouse-grown produce at a geothermal farm. Opt to visit a spa or hot springs. (1B, 1L)

Day 3 — Selfoss/Vík
Travel along Iceland’s southern coast from Selfoss to Vík, stopping for a look at the stunning Seljalandsfoss waterfall and a stroll along the black sands of Reynisfjara Beach.(1B)

Days 4 & 5 — Jökulsárlón/Skaftafell
Travel to the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon, and opt for a boat ride amid its blue icebergs. Later, visit the Throbergur Cultural Heritage Museum and enjoy a traditional dinner. The next day, hike into Vatnajökull National Park to Svartifoss waterfall, framed by basaltic lava columns. We’ll also embark on a guided walk atop a glacier in Skaftafell National Park. Strap on a pair of crampons, and get up-close views of intriguing ice formations, deep sink holes, and rugged crevasses. Depending on the weather conditions, guests traveling in the winter (November through March) may also have opportunity to visit an ice cave. (2B, 1D)

Day 6 — Reykjavík
Return to Reykjavík, stopping en route to learn about Icelandic cultural heritage at the Skôgar Folk Museum and visit the picturesque Skôgafoss waterfall. (1B)

Day 7 — Reykjavík
Depart at any time. (1B)
Old 08-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
glatt

Do it. That sounds awesome.

A couple years ago, in '83, I flew with my family back to the US after being in Germany for a year. We flew out of Luxembourg on Icelandair, and they had a stopover in Reykjavik. You could hop off the plane for 1 hour or 25 hours for the same price. So we spent a day in Iceland. Very interesting. Rented a car and went to that big waterfall and some hot springs. I would have loved to stay longer. We slept in the car in seats that didn't recline. That sucked.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There seems to be a lot of on foot exploring, so in order to see an ice cave the rest of the tour will be very chilly.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
bbro

glatt - I want to see the volcano!! I'm glad you think it sounds good. I get nervous that I am expecting too much or something.

Bruce - there is some hiking, but activity level is listed as Light. There's another expedition that is Moderate - a LOT more hiking. Also 4-5 times the price for 10 days instead of 7 - plus the plane ticket.

Also, I'm looking to fly first class
Old 08-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
glatt

I think Bruce meant that the winter in Iceland is cold, and you will be outside a lot.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Flying first class?

That sounds like too much to me. Extra expensive for same arrival time, practically. But, that's just me.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #14
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I think Bruce meant that the winter in Iceland is cold, and you will be outside a lot.
Ah - missed that. Actually, prepared for that. I have a Columbia jacket and scarves galore already. I would need more gloves and an outer layer, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Flying first class?

That sounds like too much to me. Extra expensive for same arrival time, practically. But, that's just me.
It depends on which airline I pick, I think. If I fly Delta, they have the sleeper seats. The trip there is over night, so I figured that would be best. IcelandAir has something more like a business class that isn't expensive that I may take.

I am kind of waiting to get my passport, but I don't want to wait too long because I don't want to miss it!
Old 08-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
glatt

Get your passport now. No reason to wait.. It takes longer than you would think.