The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #5581
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I question whether a cracked bushing and translate to broken mount. Even so, it's not unsafe, and he's really stretching it to drum up business. Even considering overhead, taxes, insurance, and possible liability, the quoted price shows a large profit motive.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #5582
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
That's crazy clod, I'd go off on her. (assuming it's her, not sexist, but most are her)
The thing is, this really does happen to me all the time, at a variety of businesses. Maybe I have the kind of face/voice that makes people think I want to dictate my appointments and nothing less will suffice? I almost never have people suggest appointment times they have available; they all ask what I want and then have to tell me "no" repeatedly.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #5583
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe your voice reminds them of the cartoons they loved and they drift off.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #5584
glatt

It's beyond irritating me now. I replaced the engine mount. All proud of myself that it only took 20 minutes. I was tightening up the last bolt, using the torque wrench to do it perfectly. And the damn bolt snapped. It felt pretty tight to me, but the wrench hadn't clicked yet, so I kept tightening. Then there was a big click as the MF snapped on me.

Either the torque wrench is calibrated wrong or I'm using it wrong. But it worked perfectly on the first bolt.

So I've been to two car parts stores and one hardware store and can't find a bolt that fits. I'm pretty sure it's a non-standard M9 1.25 pitch bolt. So I finally gave in and went to the dealership to order a new bolt. It will be here Tuesday.

Four hours into this damn project so far, and the car is now disabled until the new bolt gets here.

Lesson learned: screw the torque wrench. Just follow my gut and tighten with a regular wrench.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #5585
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Either the torque wrench is calibrated wrong or I'm using it wrong. But it worked perfectly on the first bolt.
Nope, can't make that assumption.
Some bolts, as designated by the manufacturer of the car, are not to be reused, the service manual should tell you which.
That bolt could have been over-torqued by the factory on anywhere along the way, causing it to be sub standard.
The bolt has been around a long time, nobody know the trouble it's see.
A burr or foreign material can cause binding which would require more force to overcome than the bolt is rated for.
Most nuts and bolts are oily enough to prevent galling, even though they look shiny clean. It can gall in a fraction of a revolution, and when it does you're generally screwed, not being able to move the bolt in either directing without breaking it.

Did you get the snapped bolt out?
Old 08-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #5586
glatt

Yeah. I got it out. It was sticking out the other side of the welded on nut, so I grabbed it by the threads with vice grips, which are a hand tool, and was able to keep it going forward all the way out the other side. Good thing too, because it snapped inside the new mount, and I wouldn't have been able to get at it from that side.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #5587
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It was hard to turn, snapped off, then the part inside didn't take a lot of torque to turn with the vicegrips (a hand tool of undetermined handedness)?

That would rule out galling and a burr or foreign material binding.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #5588
glatt

Yeah. It was very easy to turn with vice grips. I over tightened it with the torque wrench and it broke. The wrench should have prevented that from happening.

The only difference between this bolt and the first successful bolt was that this bolt was horizontal and the other was vertical.

Does a clicking torque wrench not work in some positions? Seems crazy to me.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #5589
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, any position. It can be affected buy using the off hand to support it by holding the head, but we're talking maybe a ft lb or two, nothing critical in most applications. It could be a wrench malfunction, but I'd be more inclined to suspect the bolt was defective or had been damaged somewhere along the line. At some point it might have been over torqued.

When a bolt is tightened first it stretches. On steam chest bolts we'd measure how much the cover bolts stretched until it reached a predetermined length, because it was too difficult to measure torque accurately on six inch diameter bolts.

Next the bolt reaches it's yield point. At the yield point the weakest section of the bolt stretches a little as it relieves some of the built up tension. That stretching(yielding), causes that point to grow slightly smaller in diameter. The manufacturers use some torque-to-yield bolts these days, hence bolts which can't be reused. The manuals identify those.

After it reaches the yield point, if you keep twisting, that weak point is where it will snap.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #5590
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

The barely dressed-up insult. Irritating. Insult me and incur my wrath or shut the fuck up. Pick a side of the fence.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #5591
infinite monkey

And word ass. It never fails to irritate me that people will log in just to add a word to word ass.

dog

cat

rat

mouse

That's some clever fucking shit right there.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #5592
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Poop!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #5593
infinite monkey

pooh
Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #5594
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Piglet
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #5595
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
He said I got a purty heid.

That's kinda creepy, actually......
Do you use a lot of moisturizing lotion? It really helps later. I'm glad to see LJ is making a skin suit too

Tags
mild cheddar