The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

March 8th, 2018: Wyld’s Great Globe

The Flat Earth Society has members around the globe. Huh?
There are still people who believe, (I think pretend for shits & giggles) the Earth is flat.
I remember drugs that made me think the Earth was all kinds of shapes… but I digress.
For 2,000 years educated people have know the Earth is round… hmm guest that leaves out much of facebook, twitter, 4chan…
But knowing the Earth is round, and hearing of far off places, didn’t help figuring out what the Earth looked like.

Quote:
The famous British cartographer and former Member of Parliament, James Wyld, had a brilliant plan to promote his mapmaking business. The Great Exhibition was slated for 1851, at Hyde Park in London, and would be visited by prominent industrialists, scientist, and artists from around the world, as well as members of the Royal family. Wyld figured if he could create a huge model of the earth with an accurate depiction of earth’s geography, for the exhibition, it could further his chances of scoring new business deals and increasing sales.

Quote:
Wyld approached the organizing committee of the Great Exhibition with the idea, but was disappointed to learn that the pavilion being erected for the Great Exhibition—the Crystal Palace—was too small to house his proposed 60-feet-tall globe. Besides, the organizers weren’t too fond of Wyld trying to use the Exhibition as a mean to promote his business, and his proposal was rejected. Undaunted, Wyld began to search for an alternate location and found Leicester Square a suitable site for his project. After a rather complicated series of negotiations with the owners of the gardens, permission was granted to build the globe there and keep it for 10 years.
Now if you want to draw people in you don’t put the hoochie coochie girls on the outside...
Step inside! Hello! We've a most amazing show
You'll enjoy it all we know
Step inside! Step inside!

Quote:
Wyld's Great Globe was not a regular globe. It was hollow with the earth’s geography represented on the interior surface rather than on the outside. A series of platforms connected by staircases on the inside allowed visitors to marvel at every square inch of the gigantic relief map of mountains and rivers, built to scale, but vertically exaggerated to make them perceptible. Fertile land was colored green and deserts in sandy yellow. Volcanoes were shown erupting dramatically using dyed cotton wool for lava and smoke, while snowy mountains were sprinkled with white crystals that sparkled brilliantly in the gas light.

You can see a 20th/21st century version, the Mapparium in Boston.

Not as big, but it covers the ground, and easier to see up close and personal. Plus easier to change political boundries.

link
Old 03-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
HitTheLake
Soylent Greenhorn

Great, now I have Karn Evil 9 stuck in my head. Gonna take all day to get that out of there..
HitTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
glatt

In Yarmouth Maine, of all places, is the world's largest rotating globe. In the lobby of DeLorme headquarters.

It's worth a stop if you are driving up into the state. It was free when I last went.

Name:  MEYAReartha_nite.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  13.6 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I love globes.
I have one with an inside light that separates land forms from political
boundaries and use it often.
I can't really grasp the advantage of the inside one.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
People magnet, and bragging rights.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
I love globes.
I have one with an inside light that separates land forms from political
boundaries and use it often.
To make a regular globe that large would require an even larger dome around it, and people would have a harder time seeing all of it.

With an inside-out globe, you get the undistorted layout that globes provide, can see much more of it at once, and can use the full size of the dome you're able to construct.

Plus, the hollow-earthers (separate group from the flat-earthers) will flock to it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, the point of building this was to educate people as to the locations, the relationship between places people had only heard of. On the outside of a large globe you can only see snippets of those relationships.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:01 AM   #8
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Re the Boston Mapparium.

I'm puzzled by this. I would have expected to see all the land areas back to front when viewed from the inside.
It's analogous to the view from inside a shop which has sign writing on the window, you'll see it all backwards.

Perhaps it's me....

Link
Old 03-09-2018, 06:23 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

It's us.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
It's analogous to the view from inside a shop which has sign writing on the window, you'll see it all backwards.
Not if the sign writing was painted to be viewed from the inside.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #11
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Not if the sign writing was painted to be viewed from the inside.
Walk this way for the Hall of Mirrors!
Old 03-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you have a 9 meter diameter glass ball you can paint a map on the outside to be viewed from the outside, or you can paint a map on the inside to be viewed from the inside.

(Yeah it can be painted on either side to be viewed from the opposite side but regardless.)

If viewed from the outside you can only see a small portion, but from the inside you can see the relationship between the land masses. That's what Wyld and the Mapparium were trying to accomplish. Plus it's dryer if it rains.