The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-10-2003, 08:47 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

How is 2004 shaping up?

At this point, I have no idea who to vote for. The biggest error in foreign policy has already been made, so it becomes a question of repairing the damage.

Who are the choices?

GWB- big spending, protectionist, big government Republican being handled by the militarist neo-con wing of the party and the so-called Christian Right. He got us into this mess, he is not an option.

Howard Dean- reputation for fiscal responsibility, opposed the war, good on 2nd amendment, for good or ill seems committed to cleaning up our mess in Iraq. I don't see much possibility of a good outcome in Iraq but if we (meaning the poor bastards in the armed forces) are supposed to take responsibility for our governments errors...

Dennis Kucinich- voted against the war, willing to pull the troops right out, given an uncooperative Republican Congress might be an option, gonna be a big spender given half a chance.

Bomber of Belgrade not an option, very willing to casually committ our troops for fuzzy reasons.

L Neil Smith- good... unelectable

Ron Paul- voted no, rocks, won't run

Who do you people want?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:55 AM   #2
juju
no one of consequence

Maybe I'll vote for a candidate who is against the DMCA. Have any of them stated their stance on that issue?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 11:35 AM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

I'm still liking Dean. Smart and passionate. Fiscally responsible, socially liberal. For planned, supported, and just use of military.

Kucinich gets points for being bold. But his ideas are not practical or feasible. We cant pull the troups. We cant turn back the clock.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:16 PM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

No offense Griff, but sounds like you're looking for somebody who's never done anything you don't like... you may want to just stay home on election day!

I haven't decided who I like yet. I can't stand Bush for many reasons so I will definitely not vote for him. But nobody on the Democratic side has won my support yet. In general I think that for the last 2-3 years the Dems have shown themselves to be a bunch of spineless wussies. I may just go after whichever one of them looks like he will take it hardest to the Republicans.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:24 PM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
No offense Griff, but sounds like you're looking for somebody who's never done anything you don't like...
That would be Dr. Ron Paul

Quote:
I haven't decided who I like yet. I can't stand Bush for many reasons so I will definitely not vote for him. But nobody on the Democratic side has won my support yet. In general I think that for the last 2-3 years the Dems have shown themselves to be a bunch of spineless wussies. I may just go after whichever one of them looks like he will take it hardest to the Republicans.
I'm going for lowest body count. Whoever will kill the fewest of my fellow human beings wins. Identifying that guy is the difficulty.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:48 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
I'm still liking Dean. Smart and passionate. Fiscally responsible, socially liberal. For planned, supported, and just use of military.
I can't support anyone who would let AdanSmith into his state.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:01 PM   #7
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I'm waiting to see how Bush handles the "assault" weapons ban. The ban was to expire in 04 and supposedly W hasn't pushed either way on it only saying he'd sign anything(??) that came to his desk.

Not having a Democrat president, majority in the Senate or the House is very enjoyable personally. Especially after the Clinton reign.

Yes, I had lost tens of thousands of dollars in the stock market but would still rather have an R there than a D.

(commence flaming)
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:03 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Much as I would LOVE to see Ron Paul run as well, I don't expect it to happen.

Wish more people were aware of him.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 08:45 PM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm leaning with Clark or Dean at the moment, with Sharpton as the dark horse...no pun intended. It's still too early though...I think I'll have my decision cemented by the end of the year.

slang, please take your medication...you're babbling again.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:04 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I'm leaning with Clark or Dean at the moment, with Sharpton as the dark horse...no pun intended. It's still too early though...I think I'll have my decision cemented by the end of the year.

slang, please take your medication...you're babbling again.
WHAT!?! Slang is babbling? You're the one talking about Sharpton.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:08 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Seeing is believing...watch the next Dem debate.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:19 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Scary but true. Rev. Al is the only one of the pack who is actually coming off looking like a candidate. (Waitaminute. I'm repeating myself. Again. there's something a couple posts down in the
Gephart thread

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 10-28-2003, 11:21 PM   #13
greenian
Simulated Simulacrum

r vs. d

man, unless he does something monumentally stupid I'll vote Dean in the primaries. And even if he doesn't get the nomination I'll vote whichever democrat does. I'm not a democrat, and I'd love to vote my consciense, but the most important thing right now is to get W out of there. If he "wins" again I'm moving to Canada.
greenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:07 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

But you'll end up coming back across the border for your healthcare ...

Old 10-29-2003, 01:16 AM   #15
dave

Re: r vs. d

Quote:
Originally posted by greenian
but the most important thing right now is to get W out of there. If he "wins" again I'm moving to Canada.
You'll be missed.