The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #196
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Good job it's December, so at least she doesn't have to worry about wasps.
Instead she becomes a human Slurpee. (Do you guys have Slurpee?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slurpee
Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #197
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

It was 77 degrees here to today. Some storms, hard rain, then clear skys. It is 9 pm and 70 degrees. This is the stuff big storms are made of.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #198
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

From the instructions on a recent prescription: "Unwrap and insert one suppository per rectum."

Fortunately, he doesn't have more than one.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #199
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

This story about bedbug bed-buggery at NewScientist.

The story is mildly amusing, but the comments discussion is gold! Be sure to read all comments.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #200
TheMercenary

WTF it was 81 today. Damm I think this global warming tin foil hat stuff may have merit. How was the weather in NY today. Oh I know cold as hell.

Expected to be 56 in the am.

Winter is upon us.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #201
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Student evaluation of teaching comments.

"An increasing is my think's logic."

I was not responsible for teaching them English.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #202
Juniper
I know, right?

For the past few days, my male cat Sterling has been trying to mate with my female cat Daisy. On the ironing board, in my office/sewing room.

Both are neutered, of course, and Sterling really hasn't any idea what to do after he sinks his teeth into her neck scruff, so he just kind of stands there over her looking confused - but determined to do *something* - until she gets fed up, turns around and whacks him.

She puts up with this because, otherwise, they are best buddies.

This is all the more amusing because it takes place on the ironing board, which is not particularly sturdy. I had to move the iron because they kept knocking it off.

Now that their nightly drama has been accomplished, they're engaged in mutual grooming of each other's heads, which is really cute. It's like Daisy is thinking, "I have no idea what you're trying to do, but I love you anyway."

Come to think of it, I've often thought the same thing.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #203
TheMercenary

Our cattle dog keeps stealing Christmas ornaments from the tree and table tops. He is killing at least 2 or more a day. I am quitely amused. But I pretend to be angry for my wife's sake and to support her anger.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #204
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Juni, my lost cat Dylan grew up with the studs (at the breeder's house.)
Although he was neutered, he learned their behaviour.

Diz was always the dominant cat, the alpha if you like (although cats don't have a pack hierarchy in the same way dogs do) but he was brought up with the queens.

So the whole time I had them both, Dylan would occasionally mount Diz, biting his neck and making him submit.

And yet Diz got first dibs on food, first choice at sleeping place and could chase Dylan off my lap by jumping up and edging him off cuckoo style.

Animal pecking orders are more complicated than we think!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #205
glatt

Just got a call from my wife. She was at the grocery store to pick up some mozzarella cheese and some cold cuts for the weekend. It's a work day, mid morning, and apparently the entire county is stocking up on groceries. We are supposed to get between 6 inches and a foot of snow tomorrow. I knew there would be a rush on the grocery stores before the storm, but I thought it wouldn't be until tonight. It's kind of quiet here at work. I think people are actually blowing off work this morning so they can hoard groceries.

She said that people are standing by the front door and following others with carts back to their cars so they can get their shopping carts after they unload their groceries.

She left in disgust. Maybe we won't be having homemade pizza tonight. I think I put this in the wrong thread. I started off mocking all the crazy people, but now I'm a little irritated when I think about no pizza tonight.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #206
Juniper
I know, right?

Ha ha Glatt! I hear you, that happens here too whenever we're supposed to get more than 3" or so.

I try to prep so that we don't even have to go to the store at all, as long as it'll be less than a week before the roads are cleared. I can bake bread, and the only things we really "need" are milk and fresh veggies, though those can be subbed with canned/dried/frozen.

And where I live, snow & ice storms usually put us out of business for oh, about a day at the most. Less if we have to be at work! It has to get pretty damn bad for mailmen to stay home. Only happened once in the last 10 years.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #207
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Well its amusing to me how people get like that glatt - does that count?

ETA - Oh shit - I just realized you are only a few hours ahead of me - weather-wise. Crapola! I'm no longer amused. I have to go hoard food now too. <sulks away in disgust>
Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #208
glatt

It is pretty funny. And we contributed to it a little bit. My wife wasn't out there stocking up on TP like all the crazies, but she did add to the parking lot congestion before she threw in the towel and left. Fortunately, we have a crappy grocery store a block from our house, and even though it doesn't have the Polly-O cheese we like, my wife got some generic grocery store mozzarella and cold cuts, and it was much more civilized. I think people really were going grocery shopping in the morning and arriving at work late. I bet it will be insane this evening though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #209
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

yeh thanks - just when I'll be out there -
Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #210
Juniper
I know, right?

It's like hurricane season too, when people just suddenly seem to realize OMG, I live in an area that gets hurricanes! I mean, HELLO, it's December, have you never gotten a snowstorm before? Might you stop to think, perhaps in October sometime, that it might be wise to stock up some extra canned goods and TP, maybe some candles and batteries, just in case you might need them? Sheesh.

I always have to laugh at the TV news coverage from hardware stores as people stand in line for shovels and salt. I can understand running out of salt, but if you live in a place that gets snow sometimes, why wouldn't you already have a shovel?

Last year we had a wind storm from hurricane Ike pass through and it knocked out our power for 5 days. You couldn't find many stores open or gas stations because they didn't have power either, and OMG did people freak out. The only difficulty we had was procuring a few gallons of gas for our generator so we could have TV and fridge. We managed, but learned from it so that next time there's a threat, we'll fill the tanks and cans.