Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #211
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Here's the point your missing: his employees stayed with him, he had a long-lasting, successful business, was content with the amount of income he kept, and his employees were content with the amount if income they earned.
No, I completely get that. Everyone in this situation was happy--the employees were paid better than the market rate, and the employer had better-than-average employees. On the other hand, if the shop down the street had started offering the same thing, then some of your father-in-law's good employees may have left. And if all the shops in the state did the same thing, then the market rate for those employees would have simply been raised, and your father-in-law would have been left with average employees. He would find himself having to pay them even more to retain the good employees.

But why don't you just ask him? Ask him if he would want all of his competitors to take extra good care of their employees like he did. Your example is in fact only another piece of evidence that individuals can and should make a difference to those around them, because widespread systemic rules are ineffective and counterproductive.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #212
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

it's always so easy for those who have not to demand those that have to just 'accept less'

to each according to his need from each according to his ability?

If this was a prevalent practice, spexx, no one would bother going into business for themselves. I've never met anyone who is 'content' with their income. but don't take my word for it....let's poll the audience
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #213
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
But why don't you just ask him?....
'cause he's dead.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #214
Flint
Snowflake

Shit, they guy 's dead. That means Spexx "wins" by default. JEERS to Clodfobble.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #215
Spexxvet

Jim, thanks for contributing ina constructive manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
it's always so easy for those who have not to demand those that have to just 'accept less'
I'm not asking anyone to accept less if they don't have enough. Don't you think there's a point where you will have enough? If you reach that point, will you just keep accumulating wealth? The little I know of you tells me that when you get enough, you'll retire and spend your life playing guitar and following Bob Weir's tour.

Quote:
to each according to his need from each according to his ability?
No. When you have enough, let others have some of what you could choose to accumulate.

Quote:
If this was a prevalent practice, spexx, no one would bother going into business for themselves.
That doesn't make any sense to me. You have a choice of working at a job, and not making enough, or going into business for yourself, and making enough, and you would choose to not make enough?

Quote:
I've never met anyone who is 'content' with their income. ...
I have.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #216
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Jim, thanks for contributing ina constructive manner.
did you just thank me for contributing in a constructive manner?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #217
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post

No. When you have enough, let others have some of what you could choose to accumulate.

so ....you mean like...if you are 60 yrs old, and have had a very successful business for the last 30 years....you have $100 mil in liquid assets, plus 4 or 5 homes, and your family is provided for for the next 4 or 5 generations even if they all just hang around by the pool? Then you should give your income away? to who? you?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #218
Spexxvet

No, why would I do that?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #219
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nobody sane would buy $5 peas, so the grocer can't do that.

What if the grocer sets the price of a can of peas to 30 cents, drastically undercutting the 50-70 cent grocers?

Is this too patronizing?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #220
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post

What if the grocer sets the price of a can of peas to 30 cents, drastically undercutting the 50-70 cent grocers?
You get the birth of Wal-Mart.

Last edited by skysidhe; 09-19-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: not sure how I feel about walmart
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #221
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by spexxvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
You sound like the sniveling little kid in the corner who is angry that someone has nicer shoes than him. The kid with the nicer shoes must be a self centered asshole or he wouldn't have nicer shoes than you.
Here we go with the insults. So I'll respond that you sound like the 3 year old brat who won't share his toys with his sister, even though he's not using them. "They're mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine" ad infinitum.
this kind of thing is what frustrates people about arguing with people like you. you perceive that lookout is name-calling, and yet...cannot be outdone in that respect. you have to say nanny nanny boo boo back. I guess it seems somehow to lack ...integrity....to chide him about insults and then turn around and do the exact same thing. Like 'he started it, mom!'

in the same vein, instead of judging clodfobble and lookout about not giving up what they have cheerfully, you could let someone who needs it more live in your nice house that's in one of the top 10 places in the country to live. and then say ...this is what i do. lead us by example since you have the answers. they seem to come to you so easily, after all.

you speak to people like you're schooling them on how to be. and all the while, we all know you're a dork like the rest of us.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #222
Spexxvet

Quote:
so ....you mean like...if you are 60 yrs old, and have had a very successful business for the last 30 years....you have $100 mil in liquid assets, plus 4 or 5 homes, and your family is provided for for the next 4 or 5 generations even if they all just hang around by the pool? Then you should give your income away? to who? you?
If you feel that that you have enough, you don't have to give it away, just stop accumulating more.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #223
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

fire everyone, and close your businesses?

you lose
Old 09-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #224
Spexxvet

Quote:
this kind of thing is what frustrates people about arguing with people like you. you perceive that lookout is name-calling, and yet...cannot be outdone in that respect. you have to say nanny nanny boo boo back. I guess it seems somehow to lack ...integrity....to chide him about insults and then turn around and do the exact same thing. Like 'he started it, mom!'
I'd prefer to have a civil debate, but if Lookout insults me, what should I do? Take it like a pussy? Is that what you'd do? No, that's not me.

Quote:
in the same vein, instead of judging clodfobble and lookout about not giving up what they have cheerfully,
I have not judged them and I haven't said anything about giving up what they have, cheerfully or not.

Quote:
you could let someone who needs it more live in your nice house that's in one of the top 10 places in the country to live. and then say ...this is what i do. lead us by example since you have the answers. they seem to come to you so easily, after all.
When I have enough, I will.

Quote:
you speak to people like you're schooling them on how to be. and all the while, we all know you're a dork like the rest of us.
Why thank you. Whale cocks unite!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #225
Spexxvet

Quote:
Nobody sane would buy $5 peas, so the grocer can't do that.

He'll sell more peas.
Quote:
Is this too patronizing?
Respectfully, you could get to the point.