Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #856
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
No your English is fine. Civil and civilian can have the same meaning.
I agree, your English is just fine.

Quote:
BigV is just explaining a joke everyone got.
I get that a lot....
Old 12-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #857
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Civil weapons...that's almost an oxymoron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
funny!

But I think civilian weapons is the intended meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammian View Post
Excepting myself anyway
Quote:
civ·il
ˈsiv(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: civil

--snip--

courteous and polite.
"we tried to be civil to him"
Actually, Dammian, Gravdigr's joke (a pretty good one, too) was pointing out the apparent contradiction between the second definition of civil and the obvious meaning of weapons. This kind of contradiction is often used for humorous effect. Gravdigr this called this paradox an oxymoron.

Quote:
ox·y·mo·ron
(ŏk′sē-mor′ŏn′)
n. pl. ox·y·mo·rons or ox·y·mo·ra (-mor′ə)
A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #858
Dammian
The Last Of The Brunnen-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Actually, Dammian, Gravdigr's joke (a pretty good one, too) was pointing out the apparent contradiction between the second definition of civil and the obvious meaning of weapons. This kind of contradiction is often used for humorous effect. Gravdigr this called this paradox an oxymoron.
Ah! Got that!
Actually our criminal law regarding to self defense using guns fully accomplish that oxymoron, so this is not a joke in fact in our country of balalaika and caviar
Dammian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #859
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Aaaaaaaanyway:

Name:  lockheedsr71blackbirds.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  126.1 KB

A whole damn flock o' the things...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #860
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

i saw one of those take off in Oki , i was a WAYS from it but it was Deafening !!!!!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #861
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
One of my friends' dad was a spook and went on a ride in one of those.
I also read somewhere that the fuel tanks leak like sieves when they are on the ground because when they are at altitude they contract with the cold and tighten up. If they were tight on the ground they tear apart when they were at altitude.

There's probably a clearer way of explaining that.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #862
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

http://listverse.com/2014/07/12/10-b...und-the-world/
Old 12-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #863
Griff
still says videotape

so much fast
Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #864
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
One of my friends' dad was a spook and went on a ride in one of those.
I also read somewhere that the fuel tanks leak like sieves when they are on the ground because when they are at altitude they contract with the cold and tighten up. If they were tight on the ground they tear apart when they were at altitude.

There's probably a clearer way of explaining that.
First off, that's racist!

I think they leak like sieves, and then at speed, everything heats up and expands, sealing the 'leaks'. That's why it was made from titanium alloy, to withstand the extreme temps created by atmospheric friction.

Wiki quote:

Quote:
The heat would have caused a smooth skin to split or curl, whereas the corrugated skin could expand vertically and horizontally and increased longitudinal strength. Fuselage panels were manufactured to only loosely fit on the ground. Proper alignment was achieved as the airframe heated up and expanded several inches. Because of this, and the lack of a fuel sealing system that could handle the airframe's expansion at extreme temperatures, the aircraft leaked JP-7 fuel on the ground. After takeoff, the aircraft would perform a short sprint to warm up the airframe, then refuel before heading to its destination.

The outer windscreen of the cockpit was made of quartz and was fused ultrasonically to the titanium frame. The temperature of the exterior of the windscreen reached 600 degrees during a mission.

Cooling was carried out by cycling fuel behind the titanium surfaces in the chines. On landing, the canopy temperature was over 300 °C (572 °F).
If it's leaking due to not being sealed, and it contracts, wouldn't it then leak even worse?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 12-20-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #865
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I'm always confused by these things.

If the ring on a mason jar contracts wouldn't it be tighter? I don't know. Just that they leak like sieves.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #866
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Perhaps, but the jar will shrink also. Some. Maybe.

It's the vacuum that seals a mason jar.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #867
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I wasn't referring to the seal of the jar, I know how that works, I'm not a 'tard. I'm still confused because if both parts are shrinking or expanding then their relative dimensions would be the same unless the parts shrank/expanded at different rates.

In any case at that altitude the temp is usually about -40f, the plane must be going as fast as a motherfucker to create that much heat in a) the cold and b) the thinner air at that altitude.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #868
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Holy hot mess, Batman:
Quote:
Airframe, canopy and landing gear[edit]
On most aircraft, use of titanium was limited by the costs involved; it was generally used only in components exposed to the highest temperatures, such as exhaust fairings and the leading edges of wings. On the SR-71, titanium was used for 85% of the structure, with much of the rest polymer composite materials.[24] To control costs, Lockheed used a more easily worked alloy of titanium which softened at a lower temperature.[N 3] The challenges posed led Lockheed to develop new fabrication methods, and have since been used in the manufacture of other aircraft. Welding titanium requires distilled water, as the chlorine present in tap water is corrosive; cadmium-plated tools could not be used as they also caused corrosion.[25] Metallurgical contamination was another problem; at one point 80% of the delivered titanium for manufacture was rejected on these grounds.[26][27]

The high temperatures generated inflight required special design and operating techniques. Major portions of the skin of the inboard wings were corrugated, not smooth. Aerodynamicists initially opposed the concept, disparagingly referring to the aircraft as a Mach 3 variant of the 1920s-era Ford Trimotor, known for its corrugated aluminum skin.[28] The heat would have caused a smooth skin to split or curl, whereas the corrugated skin could expand vertically and horizontally and increased longitudinal strength. Fuselage panels were manufactured to only loosely fit on the ground. Proper alignment was achieved as the airframe heated up and expanded several inches.[citation needed] Because of this, and the lack of a fuel sealing system that could handle the airframe's expansion at extreme temperatures, the aircraft leaked JP-7 fuel on the ground. After takeoff, the aircraft would perform a short sprint to warm up the airframe, then refuel before heading to its destination.[citation needed]

The outer windscreen of the cockpit was made of quartz and was fused ultrasonically to the titanium frame. The temperature of the exterior of the windscreen reached 600 degrees[clarification needed] during a mission.[29]

Cooling was carried out by cycling fuel behind the titanium surfaces in the chines. On landing, the canopy temperature was over 300 °C (572 °F).[28] The red stripes on some SR-71s were to prevent maintenance workers from damaging the skin. Near the center of the fuselage, the curved skin was thin and delicate, with no support from the structural ribs, which were spaced several feet apart.[30]

The Blackbird's tires, manufactured by B.F. Goodrich, contained aluminum and were filled with nitrogen. They cost $2,300 and did not last even 20 missions. The Blackbird landed at over 170 knots and deployed a drag parachute to stop; the chute also acted to reduce stress on the tires.[31]
Old 12-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #869
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

What could go wrong ???
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #870
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not much, they worked very well. Ridiculously expensive and inefficient, but looking at the operating parameters... Damn.

Back on earth...
Attached Images