The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

My Strange Addiction

It pains me to admit this, but I cannot get out of a Yankee Candle store for under 50 bucks.

What is wrong with me (or, more likely, right with their store??)

What is your achilles heel?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Now you see I don't have £25 to spend.
But if I had, I'd be hard pressed to exit a candle shop with it still in my pocket.

When I had money - real money that would be replenished every month - these are the things I would buy.

Books. I never understood why bookshops didn't have baskets. I'd walk to the counter with a pile wedged precariously under my chin. £70 ($120) was not exceptional.

Sparkly things. I was and still am a magpie. In these days where I have champagne tastes and a lemonade budget I can still be found with my nose pressed against jewellers' windows.

Unusual/ exotic food. I can easily spend an hour in a high-end food store, looking and smelling and (ideally) tasting. Even at my slimmest and richest I gobbled up samples. Always looking for a new taste sensation.

And back to the OT
Candles. I still buy them when I can. There used to be an amazing candle shop in Covent Garden. I bought the evil ex a large, complex candle in the shape of a dragon which was very similar to a carved wooden dragon I had also bought him (he'd admired it, but it was out of his price range). WE agreed that he might light the candle one day, but only on a special occasion. Imagine my chagrin when I travelled down from Leicester to see him and it had already been lit and was half melted away.

Arsehole.

Anyway.
I also have a terrible addiction to make-up and cosmetics.
Why?! I rarely wear them!
Although my recent purchase of a Maybelline mascara was well worth it. The sort of inspired purchase I think I am making every time I buy.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
GunMaster357
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Books. I never understood why bookshops didn't have baskets. I'd walk to the counter with a pile wedged precariously under my chin. £70 ($120) was not exceptional.
Same here. I read a lot. And I can't stand to wait at the library for a book to become available I want to read it again. So I buy a lot of books, either in stores or on-line. Nearly every gift I buy for my family is a book, even for my 2 years old nephew.

My other weakness is chocolate. I once went into a store to buy a gift for a friend and ended up with the gift wrapped along with something like 200 € worth of chocolate just for myself...

Fortunately for my bank account, I do that no more than once or twice a year.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae
But if I had, I'd be hard pressed to exit a candle shop with it still in my pocket.

Books. Sparkly things. Unusual/ exotic food. ICandles. I still buy them when I can. make-up and cosmetics.
Why?! I rarely wear them! my recent purchase of a Maybelline mascara was well worth it. The sort of inspired purchase I think I am making every time I buy.
so... spending, then? in a nutshell?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
grynch
the big Cheese

mrs. G loves Yankee Candle also.........thank gawd the nearest one is 1000's of miles away
grynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Socks.

Mostly because I can pick up 9 or ten black socks and not find one matching pair in the bunch.

I wish my addiction were cleaning and organizing.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
grynch
the big Cheese

my addictions are wine , women and song

and I've never been all that crazy about the music.
grynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Socks.

Mostly because I can pick up 9 or ten black socks and not find one matching pair in the bunch.
I used to work for Dr Solomon's Software. We threw socks out at IT shows. It was funny to watch Department Heads on £100k+ scrambling for free socks
The cardboard attachment read "Dr Solomon's. Blows your socks off" and the black socks had Dr Solomon's stitched in white at the top.

Being part of the sales team I had plenty of freebie socks.
And they could be worn left or right and therefore never got mixed up in the washing.

I think I lost or left my last pair approx 14 years after acquiring them.

I borrow my Mum's now.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Sundae - your weaknesses are my own! I love all those things, too, and buy them up when I should be a grown up and pay the rent!

I had a few dollars in my pocket because the water bill was 1/3 what is usually is (son was staying at his dads house) and I sold some gold.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
monster
I hear them call the tide

used hockey gear.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Books, candles and planting/ growing flowers. I just harvested my own home grown lavender yesterday!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I just harvested my own home grown lavender yesterday!
Oooooooo! whatcha gonna make? Lavendar dollies?

—James Barrie

Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I am too lazy for that. I pulled the buds off some stalks and they are wafting their aroma through the house. I just left them alone to do all the work.

I also put sprigs in a vase, which is sitting on my mantle. That is the height of my accomplishment.

If I had time and it wasn't so late in the season a lavender wreath would have been nice.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I was addicted to candle shopping once upon a time. I stopped when I realized that I just wasn't burning them. They finally did come in handy one winter when we had a power outage during a really nasty cold snap. I lit every single one of them in the living room and dining room, and those suckers actually kept the heat around 55 degrees!

I also had a Hobby Lobby addiction too. I could not get out of that store for under $100. It was those damn 50% off sales on decorative glass and ceramic stuffs.

My current addiction is 75 % clearance sales at department stores. I have kind of slowed down now though because our clothes closets just wont fit anymore in them.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Luckily I owe too much and with the need to pay for my mom's implants and crowns, I do not readily spend these days. The other day, I saw a tote in just the perfect size that I've been longing for all these years, wanted it so badly, but I left the store without buying it. I may long for it later but I won't die without it. Still a little sad but I know I shouldn't get it. Anyways, I like Yankee Candle too. They can really freshen up a room, unlike other scented candles.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote