The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dot Org

Private Equity is the root of all evil, they bought the industrial chain, the food chain, and the government... now this...
Quote:
Dot-org, though, is special. Under the stewardship of the Public Interest Registry (PIR), the organization to which ICANN delegates control and operation of the dot-org domain, dot-org serves the nonprofit community as a trusted partner. Nonprofits provide websites and use email with confidence and peace of mind. Even while business interests captured most of the Internet’s policymaking, dot-org remained protected from profit-driven rulemaking.

Today, though, that independence is under threat. The Internet Society, a nonprofit to which ICANN delegated the duty to host PIR, announced a deal in November to sell PIR and its license to sell dot-org names for more than $1 billion. The buyer is Ethos Capital, a private-equity firm with investments in digital advertising, data brokering and other Internet services...
Link
Old 01-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Why would they do that?
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Listen,

Way back in the early days of the Internet, it was believed that website NAMES were a big deal

"Get in on the good real estate," they all said, imagining they knew. "Dictionary names are limited and everyone will want to pay big money to get one."

"It's like having a location on the virtual street," they said, "There's only one business.com so having business dot com must be worth tens of millions of dollars."

Now after 10 15 25 years of experience with the bullshit, we know that the domain names are not worth shit.

They never were. There's no "street". Every location on the internet is one click away from every other location. Nobody really much uses the domain names. You can only remember so many names. And actually, nobody goes to websites any longer. Since 2012 they just go to their apps.

So the dumb top level domain isn't a thing, either, and it never really was. They wasted a lot of money on this. There's no danger, nothing will change, nobody ever believed that dot org websites are any different from any other website. cellar.org will remain exactly the same as it has for all these years and nobody cares about dot org.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #4
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm not enraged anymore. Thank You, Sir.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

To pay over a Billion dollars for it somebody cares, and somebody expects a return on that money because that's enough to rent a couple of congress critters.

So what are they up to, how will they make this pay? Up the yearly rents? Slip commercials in somehow. Make you sign up to access any dot org site?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

They're going to start a new tippy-top level domain called ditto org ("org). It's going to take the virtual world by storm. Only websites run by Artificial Intelligence will be eligible for a ditto org domain name and every dot com, dot org; or, dot whatever with an AI will want a choice ditto org name and be willing to pay BIG bucks to operate under the stewardship of the Hi & Lois Society.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:15 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

All they can do is sell/manage the rights to the names. They've already agreed not to raise the price prohibitively.

At one point, The Public Interest Registry wanted to remove sites like The Cellar from dot org. The Cellar not an organization in the public interest. They wanted to move towards that, and away from non-profit organizations. Although The Cellar is not a registered non-profit organization either.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not registered, but a bonafide non profit, and we would be a public service if they would only listen to us.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Hi & Lois Society
I read Hi & Lois every Sunday.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #10
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
Why would they do that?
They gave a billion reasons.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Now after 10 15 25 years of experience with the bullshit, we know that the domain names are not worth shit.
They were back then because Google did not exist.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Especially pre-Google, because all you had then was Yahoo! directory and the open source directory, and nobody really cared and those directories died soon enough.

I've watched the souls of many a founder shrivel and turn black because they bought a name, and built something, and nobody showed up.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:50 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Those directories were a nightmare Google was welcomed with open arms and offers of first borns, they could do no wrong... we thought.