The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-26-2005, 02:28 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bullshit...your telling me I can't leave if I don't like the movie? I don't think so...mind your own damn business. :p
Old 02-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #32
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

IMO, one of the reasons that religions had to make suicide a sin was because they pushed the concept of heaven so hard. They told a large group of people who in many case had really hard, crappy lives that if they did what they were told that they would live in paradise when they died. Well, if you're living in Europe in the dark ages and really believe this, then of course the ones who believed this would ask themselves "what am I waiting for". This means that the organized religion would lose it's most gullible....er....devout followers without any benefit to the organization. It's one thing to have someone martyr themselves or die as a soldier or suicide bomber for the organization, but plain suicide does not offer any benefits back to the group while causing attrition among the most ardent supporters. Hence, martyrdom is applauded and suicide becomes a sin.

Too cynical?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #33
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Not too cynical, rich, but you don't have to be a peasant in the Dark Ages to want to kill yourself--today's world suffices just fine. I understand what you are saying and all but I am thinking less globally and more locally. The people close to a suicide are left with immeasurable guilt and grief. If children are involved, even more so. Suicides have a nasty habit of inspiring MORE suicides. Kids imitate parents, etc. Nasty business. You can leave the movie IF no one loves/knows/depends on you. So, Bruce, that leaves you out.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #34
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Bullshit...your telling me I can't leave if I don't like the movie? I don't think so...mind your own damn business. :p
Ok, but I get all of your doodads.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
The people close to a suicide are left with immeasurable guilt and grief.
No logical reason for me to feel guilty about someone offing themselves.
Grief, certainly. If they'd gotten run over by a bus I suppose then you have the bus to focus your anger at and I believe anger is one part of greiving. It's hard to direct your anger at the deceased so I guess that leaves yourself, in a suicide. But if you use your head for something besides a hatrack you'll so realize that's not rational.....unless you're an MBA.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:06 PM   #36
wolf
lobber of scimitars

When you've been actively working to save the person, yes, there is a lot of guilt for the survivors.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #37
Schrodinger's Cat
Macavity

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
No logical reason for me to feel guilty about someone offing themselves.
Probably not, in most cases. However, the emotions which arise out of the death of a loved one or even just an acquaintance, by definition, have no basis in logic. The distance from the head to the heart and all that.

As far as suicide in the dark ages, I imagine that the conditions people lived under resolved the question for them more often than not.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
When you've been actively working to save the person, yes, there is a lot of guilt for the survivors.
Shouldn't be. Maybe if you hadn't tried but certainly not when "you've been actively working to save the person".
Old 03-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat
Probably not, in most cases. However, the emotions which arise out of the death of a loved one or even just an acquaintance, by definition, have no basis in logic. The distance from the head to the heart and all that.
Don't confuse guilt and grief, it's an easy mistake to make. No, they are two different animals.

Quote:
As far as suicide in the dark ages, I imagine that the conditions people lived under resolved the question for them more often than not.
And with sudden death, unexplained by anything more that "something evil" being commonplace, probably many suicides were undetected.
Body fished out of the river....accident?.....murder?....suicide?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #40
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I was just sent an article that says, and may have been in one of the articles here already, that he killed himself while he was on the phone with his wife and the kids were in the other room. Any takers?

When he gets back on I'll add the link to the article.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's here.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:35 PM   #42
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

I never fully understood Gonzo journalism after reading so many of his books. And yet The Economist (rather interesting that it took his death to better appreciate his life) provided a rather good summary of who Hunter Thompson was.
Quote:
from The Economist
In 1964 he had made a long journey to Ketchum, Idaho, to the grave of Ernest Hemingway, one of his models and heroes. He wanted to understand why Hemingway had killed himself in his cabin in the woods, and concluded that he had lost his sense of control in a changing world:

It is not just a writer's crisis, but they are the most obvious victims because the function of art is supposedly to bring order out of chaos, a tall order even when the chaos is static, and a superhuman task when chaos is multiplying...So finally, and for what he must have thought the best of reasons, he ended it with a shotgun.
Attached Images

tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #43
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

the above: What A Bunch O' Crap.

Lost my control in an ever-changing world---christ. What a load.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:24 AM   #44
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Toldya he looks just like plthijinx

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #45
Oaktree67
Dr.Jekyll's Chief Intern

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Well that didn't say anything.

Barring any evidence to the contrary it seems the paragon of paranoid gonzo reporting went out with a wimper instead of a bang.
I have to say I'm incredibly disappointed;the second I found out he took his own life,any respect I might have had for him went right out the window.
Oaktree67 is offline   Reply With Quote