The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 02-11-2004, 08:38 AM   #46
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

they hit you on the HANDS with them? fuck. They had paddles(some had air holes for better speed, and one had "OR ELSE" printed on it) in my school but they were to be applied posteriorly. The shop teacher used to throw a big ol' rubber mallot at you from accross the room with a high degree of accuracy and timing that kept you pretty honest because you never knew where or when the mallot would come.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:04 AM   #47
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's messed up. He could have put an eye out, and then sorry wouldn't be enough.

Anyone who targets me with a projectile of any kind has to expect return fire.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #48
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

The funny thing is that we all loved the guy. The mallott didnt hurt much, cuz he'd usually hit your legs. One time he was extra mad at my friend mike, and whipped it at his head, but mike saw it coming an ducked. the mallott hit the cover of a breaker box and dented it. fun times, man. fun times.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:40 PM   #49
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I have three children. 16, 11 and soon to be 7.

I am a firm believer in the spanking approach, depending on the severity of the offense and the child.

I use a belt, on bare ass, no more than three swats, while I am NOT angry. I'll make them wait in their room until I'm calm, then I'll go in there, talk about it calmly, then administer the spanking.

It worked on Justin until he just became defiant and dared me to spank him, then there was shit all I could do.

Most of the time I didn't have to go that route with Bryan, but occasionally, he got the swat on the clothed butt with the hand.

Piglet, all I have to do is raise my voice and send her to her room, and she's crying and upset and understands she messed up.

Again, punishment is kind of a holistic thing. Always be consistant, don't make threats you can't (or aren't willing to drop everything else to) keep. Make sure the rules are age-appropriate, the punishment is scaled (time outs/room banishments, no tv for the night, whatever) to fit the "crime" and that those levels of punishment are also consistant.

My ex Mark was NEVER spanked as a child, and his mother lived with us for awhile. She was ready to beat Justin within an inch of his life, and this is a woman who has done inhome child care for over 25 years.

And according to CPA in Nevada (who Justin called on me for beating his ass) you can spank with bare hand on the ass, but no where else. He basically said "don't leave marks and you're ok."
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:08 AM   #50
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Quote:
LJ said The shop teacher used to throw a big ol' rubber mallot at you from accross the room with a high degree of accuracy and timing that kept you pretty honest because you never knew where or when the mallot would come.
I had a teacher in that was an semi-pro soft ball pitcher . She kept 3-4 eracers behind her desk , if you fell asleep in her class you would wake up with a bruse and a cloud of chalk dust around you . I saw her nail 3 guys faster than the eye could follow , WHIP WHIP WHIP!!!!!!! She NEVER interupted her conversation , or raised her voice as she was flinging those eracers .
She also had 3 plastic bottles of elmers glue on her desk , those were for the folks that cussed when she nailed them with the eracers .
DAMN those sum'bitches HURT !!!!!

Last edited by zippyt; 02-14-2004 at 12:11 AM.
zippyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:26 PM   #51
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

i was only spanked once as a child. i think i was three but i remember it well. it was with a ruler across the back of my legs, not too hard though, just enough to sting for a bit, for running out into the street for not looking both ways. it worked, well sort of. a few years later at school i was crossing the street to my mom's car after school, i looked both ways, no cars were coming and still got clocked by a cadillac. my mom was PISSED! not at me though, but the guy driving b/c he was hauling ass in a school zone. i was alright. just scared mostly with a couple of scrapes and bruises. when it comes to my boy, all i have to do is count to three and i usually only make it to 2 before he shapes up.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #52
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Flashback to militry school in Lebanon...

Instructor: Mr. Bernard please report to the Commandant for discipline.

Me: Yes sir!

Me: knocking on door sil Sir! Private Bernard reporting as ordered for four of the very best!

The paddle was over a yard long and about 5 inches wide. Two-handed grip, no shit. That guy was an artist. He could space the licks out just enough that the burning was just starting to be replaced by tingling when the next one would come. Bent over his desk, the licks would pick you up on your toes.

Edit :Forgot to mention, that was in Lebanon, Tenn...
Old 02-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #53
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

As far as my daughter goes, physical discipline is a result of other methods not working. That simple. You simplystart small and work your way up until you find what is necessary. Hopefully physical discipline isn't necessary. It isn't for some children.

With her, she's learning what no means. When she was one'ish she was motoring around the house and getting into stuff. When she would get into stuff and it would be: no, then NO, and then NO*whack*. The whack would come in the form of a heavy duty paint stick I picked up from Lowe's. In time she learned that when I reached behind my head for the stick she had exceeded the non-corporal boundaries. In time she learned the parameters of my discipline. She made 2 on Dec 31st and I haven't had to pick up the stick in 3 months.

If you're consistent they learn. If they won't learn, emancipate them and send them on their way before they get you sued or thrown in jail.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:44 PM   #54
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by plthijinx
i was crossing the street to my mom's car after school, i looked both ways, no cars were coming and still got clocked by a cadillac.
That explains a lot.

Whenever I think the world just doesn't make sense anymore, I recieve a sign like this one, and it all becomes clear again.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:45 PM   #55
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

And your next sign will be arriving in 7 days.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 08:44 PM   #56
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim

That explains a lot.

Whenever I think the world just doesn't make sense anymore, I recieve a sign like this one, and it all becomes clear again.
glad to have been a help

what doesn't make sense to me is the fuzzy math done last saturday when i bought my truck!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #57
djacq75
Rational Anarchist

My mother used a wooden spoon on my bare butt when I was bad, and guess what! I wasn't bad very often. Who would've thought!

Sorry, but the anti-spanking people are off their rockers, and the "spanking is abuse" people are positively dangerous.
djacq75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #58
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My biggest mistake as a child was whispering to my brother, "it doesn't hurt when mum hits you, but just cry anyway and she'll stop sooner." Unfortunately, Mum overheard me and switched to one of Dad's leather belts for the following belting. I've learned to whisper much better since then. My father used to belt me for not eating my dinner quick enough which was a bitch. I blame him for the love handles since apparently your food digests better if you eat more slowly.

I have children of my own now. They're 8 and 9 and they're no strangers to the odd smack on the bum. I rarely resort to this as a punishment though. I find that if I show my children my emotions and how their actions have affected not only me but perhaps other people, the guilt trip is much more effective.

To me, discipline is about consideration. Consideration is learning how your own actions affect the people around you and to be conscious of it at all times. If the kids yell and misbehave when I'm trying to talk on the phone, they're being inconsiderate, hence, they are punished. Usually the punishment for that is that they have to leave the house and are not allowed back inside till the next meal is served. (we have a perfectly good back yard for them to play in, however, they can't play xbox or anything like that outdoors, so it's a suitable punishment most of the time) A child doesn't need to be punished very often to learn a lesson if the punishment fits the crime, and they know you're going to follow through when you say something. That's the key. Consistency. If I'm consistant with my punishments, the kids will know what to expect, so I'm showing them consideration.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #59
djacq75
Rational Anarchist

There are other punishments besides spanking, of course: early bedtime, extra chores, standing with nose in the corner, no privileges. In my house, though, I got those punishments PLUS a spanking, not instead of!
djacq75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #60
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

There are only two spankable offenses in our house:

1) Lying, and

2) Defiance

Sophia is only 7 months, so I don't expect to have to dish it out any time soon, but when the time comes, I think it's perfectly acceptable to use spanking as a final step in escalating discipline.