The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Feb 13th, 2017: Brunt Nature

Most people are content with viewing nature as it comes, but James Brunt can’t leave well enough alone.

Quote:
Nature is beautiful as it is, but James Brunt is constantly finding new ways to make it look even more appealing. James creates artworks using natural objects he finds around his home in Yorkshire, England, and their intricacy will please both your eyes and your soul.
From rocks and twigs to leaves and even berries, Brunt arranges the materials into spirals, concentric circles, and other detailed patterns. James regularly photographs his work and besides viewing the images on social media, his fans are also welcome to join him as he works.

I blew up that picture of the leaves around the tree base to see if he had stripped off the bark/cambium to divide the leaves.
Nope, they're twigs, no hit-man needed. Keep calm and carry on.

link

link
Old 02-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Keep calm and carry on.
I have conflicted thoughts about these.

On the one hand, I enjoy seeing things that look good and are inventive. I'd never seen the leaves around a tree thing before and that looks pretty cool. I like it. Even the rock formations, which are pretty common these days, take it up to another level and are very impressive.

On the other hand, it's graffiti.

Leave no trace.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quite impermanent, though. And non-destructive.

He is only rearranging what is already there.

A puff of wind, a wave...and it never was.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
glatt

Exactly. Which is also why I am conflicted.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm just as natural as those leaves and rocks. And so are my bootprints.

But what about my initials carved into the tree trunk? Or the unstacked hoodoo? I see your point about being conflicted, but I find these intrusions/edits/graffiti attractive in their design and acceptable by their impermanence. They're unlikely to leave a lasting mark. It wouldn't take much for no trace to be left.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
glatt

I've read op-ed pieces in outdoor publications that attack the rock stacking specifically. Not only does it take away from the "nature" by reminding you that somebody was just there before you, but it also can harm eggs that were clinging to the rocks that you didn't notice. Also takes away hiding spots for little critters in the streams, so it can mess up the immediate stream ecosystem.

I've stacked rocks a couple times myself. It's fun. There's something hardwired in my DNA that makes me want to build stuff. I think most humans have that drive, and it's the main reason we are so harmful to the Earth. We see pristine nature and want to leave our mark. It's like knocking the beautiful snow off a fence railing. Or smacking down icicles we see. It's fun, but if we were drawn to their beauty, why do we feel the impulse to destroy that beauty?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I've stacked rocks a couple times myself. It's fun.
Murderer.

Even worse, thrill killer.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Also takes away hiding spots for little critters in the streams...
Just how few rocks are this troubled little stream?