The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #106
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
I was raised Catholic and I view Christianity as a radical branch (originally a cult) of Judaism.
No doubt I'm about to open a can of worms here and I'll be very glad (and so will everyone else) that my opportunities to post are currently so limited...

That's bizarre...seems like it all depends on what you were surrounded with as a kid. I was raised Anglican (Protestant)/went to a Lutheran high school and the line peddled throughout my childhood/teenage years is that the Catholics are an antiquated branch of Protestantism (because really why shouldn't be able to speak directly to God and what kind of stupid idea is it that you can mitigate your sins by confessing and doing penance, particularly if you have no intention of reforming your behaviour) and as mentioned previously the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses have absolutely nothing to do with any genuine form of Christianity. Catholics, Protestants and Jews are somewhat similar in that they all believe in the same God even if it is a slightly different form.

Last time I went to church was Christmas Eve, 1996 when I remember thinking "why am I here?" Having been forced to go to church every Sunday until I was 17 and attend "devotion" at high school every day except Tuesdays for 5 years, I figured I had enough exposure to make up my mind on the issue.

What it really comes down to though can be summed up by Joe Simpson-the mountaineer who when asked if he ever felt God when he was close to death on a mountain, he said "no" and that if he had, he wouldn't have had the motivation to get himself back to the basecamp.

I will now go off and hide behind a rock just in case.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #107
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz13 View Post
So I read all the way through this with my serious face on because it was terribly interesting... then I read your post and laughed so hard I choked on my own spit. I missed you ZenGum!
Zen hasn't been anywhere, has he? It's Razz who's been away....???

Just read Razz's thread...ignore this comment.

Last edited by casimendocina; 03-16-2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Making uninformed comments
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote