The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #121
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
In the 2nd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.53 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.27 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.56 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.
"In the 3rd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.59 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.42 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.79 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA's most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #122
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Driving a car is quite different from piloting an aircraft.
I think Tesla and other makers should call the devices "autodrivers."

Also, maybe you could find the accident stats for other cars of comparable price and the folks that drive them.
I think safe driving may not be as common among twenty year old drivers with twenty year old Chevys.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #123
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
Also, maybe you could find the accident stats for other cars of comparable price and the folks that drive them.
I think safe driving may not be as common among twenty year old drivers with twenty year old Chevys.
I think this is probably pretty representative of that particular group.
"For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.79 million miles driven"
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #124
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
0-60 in 4.4 secs
4.2 secs, via the latest software update. Right now it's unclear whether they improved it, or whether they just changed the rating, after many testers found the 0-60 to be closer to 4.2 under real world conditions.

This means the $2000 "Acceleration Boost" upgrade now takes it to 3.7 seconds, if I ever have 2000 spare dollars just sitting around and I want to go really really really fast.

The "Full Self Driving" upgrade is now $10,000, after they released a new beta version which vastly improved the feature. When I first bought the car, this upgrade was $7,000.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #125
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The active safety features are pretty great tho

Quote:
Automatic Emergency Braking: Detects cars or obstacles that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly

Front Collision Warning: Warns of impending collisions with slower moving or stationary cars

Side Collision Warning: Warns of potential collisions with obstacles alongside the car

Obstacle Aware Acceleration: Automatically reduces acceleration when an obstacle is detected in front of your car while driving at low speeds

Blind Spot Monitoring: Warns when a car or obstacle is detected when changing lanes

Lane Departure Avoidance: Applies corrective steering to keep your car in the intended lane

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance: Steers your car back into the driving lane when it detects that your car is departing its lane and there could be a collision
Old 11-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #126
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

"...many testers found the 0-60 to be closer to 4.2 under real world conditions."
Not sure what those conditions might be.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #127
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

i dunno just compared to estimates, people's actual track numbers