The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-04-2004, 05:13 PM   #1
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Documentary on a decomposing body

This is from The Guardian yesterday:

Channel 4, no stranger to challenging broadcasting taboos, is about to cross another televisual rubicon by filming the decomposition of a human body.
The broadcaster, which billed the show as a "unique scientific experiment", has in the past featured controversial documentaries showing the first images of aborted foetuses seen on British TV and, two years ago, Britain's first public autopsy for 170 years.

Channel 4 is looking for a volunteer with a terminal illness for the decomposition programme, which has a working title Dust to Dust, and will have to get the consent of the volunteer's family.

The plan is to film the body decomposing, which could take several months, in London's Science Museum, though not in an area open to the public.

Channel 4 defended the project, insisting it could provide forensic scientists with important new information about what happens to the human body after death. At present, decomposition tests are carried out on human bodies in the US but not in the UK - where pigs are used instead - according to the broadcaster.

"We hope experts can learn more about the processes involved and that the data collected by the project can help forensic pathologists in murder investigations," said Simon Andreae, Channel 4's head of science and education.

Dr Richard Shepherd, a senior forensic pathologist and president of the British Association in Forensic Medicine who will lead a team of scientists, said: "This project represents an urgently required step forward for forensic medical research in this country."
Old 11-04-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

We could do this on television here, but we'd have to include a group of people who faced various decomposition-related tasks and challenges. Each week, the others would have to vote on who had to stay in the room with the rotting corpse.

We could call it "Dead Reckoning", or perhaps "The Pustulence Challenge".

Reality TV...its faaaannnntastic!
Old 11-05-2004, 01:34 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Surely the Brits have dead homeless guys found under bridges too ... much simpler.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:44 AM   #4
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Any links for this? I wonder how they're going to account for the many ways a body could decompose. Is the corpse going to just sit in a sterile room while it comes apart? Will it be a constant humidity? Constant temperature? Will they introduce things like carrion eaters, flies and worms? Bodies come apart in different ways depending on where it's dumped.

Though, at the end, I could possibly watch a documentary like that.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Isn't there a documentary on the US Body Farm?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote