The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Justice can be swift

I don't know about you, but if i catch someone molesting my son or daughter? he's a dead man.

Here, in Texas, you can do just that: From here

Quote:
SHINER, Texas - A man caught in the act of molesting a 4-year-old girl was beaten to death by the girl's father on the family's rural Texas ranch, authorities said Monday.

Lavaca County Sheriff Micah Harmon said the 23-year-old father, whose name has not been released, is unlikely to be arrested for Saturday's killing and that no evidence so far has led investigators to doubt his story.

*snip*

The adults were shoeing a horse and the girl and her brother had been sent to feed chickens.

The children's grandfather said the boy later came back and said his sister had been taken away by a man.

*snip*

The father found both his daughter and the 47-year-old man partially naked, investigators said.

"In the course of trying to get her away from him, and protect her, he struck the subject several times in the head and the subject died," Harmon said.

Harmon said a grand jury will decide what, if any, charges the father will face.

Then, a few days later, from here

Quote:
In declining to indict the 23-year-old father in the June 9 killing of Jesus Mora Flores, a Lavaca County grand jury reached the same conclusion as investigators and many of the father’s neighbors: He was authorized to use deadly force to protect his daughter. “It’s sad a man had to die,” said Michael James Veit, 48, who lives across the street from where the attack happened in this small community run on ranching and the Shiner beer brewery. “But I think anybody would have done that.”

*snip*

Emergency crews responding to the father’s 911 call found Flores’ pants and underwear pulled down on his lifeless body. The girl was examined at a hospital, and authorities say forensic evidence and witness accounts corroborated the father’s story that his daughter was sexually molested.

The father was never arrested, but the killing was investigated as a homicide. Philip Hilder, a Houston criminal defense attorney and former federal prosecutor, said he would have been surprised if the grand jury had decided to indict the father. Hilder said Texas law provides several justifications for the use of deadly force, including if someone commits a sexual assault.
this poor girl is scarred for life. was justice done? yes and no. yes, in the sense that this sick and twisted man will never be able to attack/subdue/rape, whateverthefuckyawannacallit, another child.

and no, because of the emotional and physical trauma she incurred during the attack.

Now. had he lived and gone to prison he'd be released eventually and out and able to attack again. see it in the news all the time.

hope the bastard rots in hell.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Good Job Pops ,
I have NO problem with what he did , at ALL
Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Good for him, and the system in Texas for not prosecuting.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Dont forget the impact on the father of having taken a life. From the report I read he wasn't actually trying to kill the guy. His 911 call has him urging emergency services to hurry because the man was dying.

Regardless of whether it is natural justice and no matter what the provocation, killing another human being will take its toll.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Coach Sandusky will not be attending any football games near Shiner, TX in the near future.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Dont forget the impact on the father of having taken a life. From the report I read he wasn't actually trying to kill the guy. His 911 call has him urging emergency services to hurry because the man was dying.

Regardless of whether it is natural justice and no matter what the provocation, killing another human being will take its toll.
perhaps, and you're right, he wasn't trying to take his life. however, i would sleep better at night knowing that i took the life of someone who was molesting my kid. accident or not.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
I wager it would take a bigger toll on most parents to have 'not been there,' to have failed to protect their child. There's nothing about parenting that doesn't take its toll somewhere.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

^wss^
Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

^wss2^
Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Coach Sandusky will not be attending any football games near Shiner, TX in the near future.
UNfortunately. :/
Old 06-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I'm cool with the outcome, but that girl is going to have trouble getting a prom date.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
I've been expecting this guy to suicide hisself any day for the last month or so...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
...killing another human being will take its toll.
I think most parents would readily bear that burden in a situation such as this one.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh fuck yeah. The alternative would be too awful to contemplate. Given a choice of having killed the guy or having not got to them in time to prevent rape and possibly worse I think all of us would choose the former.

I just think it's a shitty deal for the guy that he has had to do something with such serious ramifications. Just adding that to the overall cost on this family.

[eta] This is clearly one of those occasions when the law got it absolutely right. Is it a preferred option that criminals die at the scene at the hands of victims or victims' families? No. i don't particularly see that as 'justice' being served. But the guy clearly did the right thing. He protected his child and the death of the rapist was incidental to that. He didn't set out to kill him, he didn;t shoot him in the back as he was trying to get away, he did what he had to do to get the man off his baby.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I've been expecting this guy to suicide hisself any day for the last month or so...
I'm a little surprised his wife is standing by him. How can she still be in denial with that many witnesses coming forward?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote