The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

April 18th, 2019: Good Boy/Girl

Scotland’s Orkney Islands are pretty far north, about the same latitude as Moscow and Anchorage, so think cold.
The Gulf stream brings some warmth from the Caribbean, but the Earth’s weather patterns bring wind which prevents forests.
That meant humans in Neolithic times had to be smart and inventive to survive.

In 1901 the Cuween Hill Chambered Cairn was unearthed, with 4500 year old bones of 8 humans, and 24 dogs.
I guess the humans were worried nobody would take proper care of their puppies so they took them along.

Quote:
Forensic artists have reconstructed the faces of many humans who lived in the Neolithic era, but never their best friends. In the case of the Cuween Hill dog, researchers passed its cranium through a CT scan in Edinburgh University’s Royal School of Veterinary Studies in order to make a 3D print as a model. From there, the forensic artist Amy Thornton modeled the skull in clay, cast it in silicone, and topped it all off with a layer of fur that resembles the color and texture of a European grey wolf.

Quote:
In human facial reconstruction, artists rely on existing research of the relationships between bony features and soft tissues. In comparison, canine facial reconstruction—a field that solely comprises the Cuween Hill dog—has none of that preexisting research. Furthermore, all modern dog species were bred in the past few hundred years, so the Cuween Hill dog has no identifiable modern relative. “So I approached the project purely from an anatomical perspective whilst comparing the skull to skulls of modern domesticated dog breeds with similar morphology for reference,” Thornton writes in an email. So the end result is science’s best guess at what this dog actually looked like—and it’s pretty darn cute.
As dog_rates might say, 13/10 would boop.
Seems to me that dog 4500 years ago was closer to the Gray Wolf than modern dogs and that's where they should look at the
relationship between bone and soft tissue.

link

link

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-17-2019 at 11:07 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Puppy good.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Would boop.