The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #16
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I can't see a picture on their site - can you take one and post it?
I'm intrigued. I just know I have the wrong image in my head
Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #17
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Mm. Couple of marinated, seasoned (sort of Mexi-spicy, from the market a few blocks away) chicken breasts between three people, and abundant frozen veggies: 3 colors of peppers, TJ's Harvest Medley (like stir-fry mixed veggies) and half a bag of frozen peas, and some frozen TJ's Toasted Corn. Slowly cooked the breasts from frozen, pulled them out and kept them warm in the toaster oven, and cooked all the veggies in the chicken juices.

Okay, all in all. Maybe not super memorable, but sufficient. Playing with seasonings doubtless would add to the fun factor.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #18
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I don't have a kitchen, but I'm trying to be creative. Tonight, I will serve nachos. I put tortilla chips on a plate, pour a can of chili on it, a little hot sauce, canned cheez wiz, and some chopped jalapenos. I sit it on my window sill to warm it up in the sun (my room faces west). I plan to wash it down with a couple of bottles of British ale
Old 11-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #19
Pie
Gone and done

Roasted acorn squash, grilled lamb tips, assorted sauteed veggies (sugar snap peas, mushrooms & carrots)
Old 11-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #20
jinx
Come on, cat.

Tonight it's salad for me; box of spring mix, diced chicken breast, snap peas, carrot shreds, avocado, and tomatoes, with black bean and roasted corn salsa as dressing. The kids are having chicken quesadillas with their choice of raw veggies on the side.

Last night was faux mac & cheese (pasta with pureed butternuts squash).
Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #21
Big Sarge

Oh God, I can't believe I ate those nachos. I think they are fermenting. This is going to be bad......
Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #22
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hang on...I've obviously missed something very, very crucial....why have you no kitchen and why are you Currently Homeless?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #23
Big Sarge

I'll shoot you a PM
Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #24
DanaC

Ta
Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #25
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I noticed his photos were coming out of a random Hotel Room. It's all so confusing....I thought he was just on business.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #26
Big Sarge

Ok, here it is. I'm a soldier recovering at a Military Medical Center. I'm living in outpatient quarters, hence no kitchen or dining facility. I have a bed, a chair, and a desk.

I'm homeless because my wife divorced me while I was on my first deployment to Iraq. She couldn't handle the situation. Thus, I have no home to return to when I leave here.

Hopefully, the Army will get things fixed and I'll be able to volunteer for another deployment. I won't have to find a place to live, etc for another year. That will make 4 deployments in 5 years
Old 11-07-2008, 05:35 AM   #27
DanaC

Are you likely to be well enough for a new deployment sarge?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:10 AM   #28
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Sarge, I was going to post about the very tasty MRE (meal ready to eat) that I"m about to enjoy. But wow, shoot me pm with your alt email addy, I can't get on my AKO mail right now.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #29
Big Sarge

I guess I need to explain further. The Army is very good to me and is really giving me some great care. I am a Senior NCO and I make a very good living. On top of that, I draw separate rations pay to cover my meals. The Army provides me with a nice clean place to live. Please don't think I'm destitute.

I have Lupus which has affected my face and arms in addition to other things. I have become very sensitive about my appearance, so I don't go to restaurants to eat. I buy food on post where I feel more accepted.

The Army is doing there very best to stabilize my medical problems in order to retain me. If I am able to deploy again, it will delay me having to return to the civilian world till 2010 where I will have to get a job and find a place to live.

I'm sorry I turned this thread into such a bummer. I didn't mean to. Let's get back on track talking about some good food. BTW, don't ever try that nacho recipe I described earlier. "It weren't a pretty sight" about 2 hours later:p
Old 11-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #30
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Sarge, thank you for your service and your honesty. You're a good man.

Tags
recipes