The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #121
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday View Post
One more reason for throwing Mubarak in the Nile.
Smart on their part. The Egyptian military just asked Britain and the EU to freeze all assets from Mubarak's regime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather
Hell yes, it's progress. Throw out ALL of the corruption and start over.
People always get sick of the same old corruption. Time for a new blend.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #122
Griff
still says videotape

Bahrain's royals join the list of American supported despots in some trouble.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #123
Athenian
Alphabetarian

I really hope the moderate Muslims get what they want.

(That is the most Anti-American statement you will hear for the next 25 years!)
Athenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #124
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

From UT's repost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
In numerous studies, the majority of reporters lean conservative.
False.

This is one of the few actual scientific studies done on the issue and the second time that UCLA did the same study. The results are the same.

Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist

Quote:
"Overall, the major media outlets are quite moderate compared to members of Congress, but even so, there is a quantifiable and significant bias in that nearly all of them lean to the left," said co‑author Jeffrey Milyo, University of Missouri economist and public policy scholar.
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla...UCLA-6664.aspx
Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #125
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
As the 2012 presidential campaign kicks into gear, President Obama's White House media operation is demonstrating an unprecedented ability to broadcast its message through social media and the Internet, at times doing an end-run around the traditional press.

The White House Press Office now not only produces a website, blog, YouTube channel, Flickr photo stream, and Facebook and Twitter profiles, but also a mix of daily video programming, including live coverage of the president's appearances and news-like shows that highlight his accomplishments.

"Advise the Adviser: Your Direct Line to the White House," the administration's latest online program launched last week, encourages viewers to offer "advice, opinions and feedback on important issues" and promises a response from a senior administration official in return.

"We're striving to not just have a passive website where people can read about what's happening but create a method of interaction and feedback," said White House spokesman Josh Earnest.

It joins "Open for Questions," a periodic series of live moderated video chats with officials, "West Wing Week," a magazine-style show featuring the president behind the scenes, and other live-streaming events, including an annotated version of the State of the Union address, all intended to more directly disseminate the administration's message.

But while these innovative communications tools ostensibly offer greater transparency and openness, critics say they have come at a troublesome expense: less accountability of the administration by the independent, mainstream press.

Over the past few months, as White House cameras have been granted free reign behind the scenes, officials have blocked broadcast news outlets from events traditionally open to coverage and limited opportunities to publicly question the president himself.

Obama's recent signing of the historic New START treaty with Russia and his post-State of the Union cabinet meeting, for example, were both closed to reporters in a break with tradition. And during a recent question and answer session with the president and visiting Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the White House imposed an unusual limit of just one question each from the U.S. and Canadian press corps.

"The administration has narrowed access by the mainstream media to an unprecedented extent," said ABC News White House correspondent Ann Compton, who has covered seven administrations. "Access here has shriveled."

Members of the press have always had quibbles with White House media strategies, calling cut-backs in access an affront to transparency, even as administration officials insist they're simply taking advantage of new technologies.

But some say the current dynamic is different, and dangerous.

"They're opening the door to kicking the press out of historic events, and opening the door to having a very filtered format for which they give the American public information that doesn't have any criticism allowed," said University of Minnesota journalism professor and political communication analyst Heather LaMarre.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/presi...ry?id=12913319
Old 02-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #126
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

wow - just heard Lara Logan was sexually assaulted and beaten friday night while reporting in Cairo.

that is a bummer.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #127
Uday
Poker Playing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenian View Post
I really hope the moderate Muslims get what they want.

(That is the most Anti-American statement you will hear for the next 25 years!)
Egypt is not a Muslim nation. Most Egyptians are Muslim, but many are Christian, and some are Jewish, Bahai, Druze and other.

Egypt has same principle as America for religion. Egypt does have state religion (Islam), but is not mandatory and no political group may be religious in nature.

Egyptians are Egyptians first. You see the Christians form wall of people around Muslims praying during riots? Or Muslim human wall around Coptic church at Christmas? We protect each other from radicals of any group, who are the enemies of Egypt and all of our religions.
Uday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #128
Uday
Poker Playing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
wow - just heard Lara Logan was sexually assaulted and beaten friday night while reporting in Cairo.

that is a bummer.
This is a disgrace for my country.
Uday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #129
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
This is one of the few actual scientific studies done on the issue and the second time that UCLA did the same study. The results are the same.
Reporters for Ted Koppel such as Chris Wallace, Brit Hume, and Jeff Greefield were accused by wacko extremists of being liberals. Then when they worked for Fox News, they were no longer liberal? Fox News has a secret bath house to purify liberal reporters.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #130
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Reporters for Ted Koppel such as Chris Wallace, Brit Hume, and Jeff Greefield were accused by wacko extremists of being liberals. Then when they worked for Fox News, they were no longer liberal? Fox News has a secret bath house to purify liberal reporters.
so does CNN. all networks are going to broadcast what they deem will increase viewers.

just sayin.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #131
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
so does CNN. all networks are going to broadcast what they deem will increase viewers.
Not necessarily. Barbara Walters was all about celebrity interviews. That was popular and profitable. But the conflicts between Barbara Walters and Peter Jennings was summarized by Peter's statement. "That is not news."

The networks (CBS, NBC, and ABC) never made money from their news departments. Which is why CBS, in an effort to maximize profits, is now reported to have only two overseas journalists. Both in London. The (rumored) 52 freelance correspondents under contract to CBS have been released.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #132
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

i did not know that. interesting. but then again the major broadcasting networks always did use sitcoms for their income. no surprise there.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #133
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post

that is a bummer.
That is a bummer. I really like her. I think she is the bomb...um, better choice of words needed. I think she is the A #1 awesomest.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #134
glatt

I'm not familiar with who she is, but that sucks for her. The little bit I read in the paper made it sound like she went through hell.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #135
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

She's a lovely woman, an intelligent and crackerjack reporter. This article says she was sexually assaulted. Fucking bastards.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/...ex.html?hpt=T2