The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #2566
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

to be fair, Hale-Bopp was correlated with closure for the Heaven's Gate mob.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #2567
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
The Daphne thing is an old Greek legend. Apollo, the horny fellow, was chasing her with sexual intent. She was about to be caught so she prayed to her father, Zeus, to save her, and he turned her into a tree. Insert "woody" joke here.

Renaissance artist Bernini (who TOTALLY should have had a Ninja Turtle named after him) did a #$%&ing brilliant sculpture of this. See https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...JaSiiAeO64DgBg
for some sample pics.

Or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3RSRrUL1Os

This is my favourite piece of art, evah.
That is just a brilliant piece.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #2568
glatt

Interesting article about an open pit copper mine landslide almost two weeks ago.

This mine near Salt Lake City is the largest in the US and produces 17 percent of all US copper. The landslide closed the mine, resulting in a small jump in copper prices. The interesting thing in the article is that this isn't just going to impact copper prices while they get the mine up and running again. It will increase to cost of copper permanently because the landslide was not predicted using current methods. Insurance will pay for this accident, at least in part. But the insurance companies calculated copper mine risk based on old methods. Those old methods said this mine was safe. So either mining has to change, which will be more expensive, or insurers will have to charge more to account for the increase in risk. Or both. Either way, the price of copper is going to go up around the world. Electronics, wires, pipes, fertilizer are all going to take a little hit.

Name:  copper.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  114.3 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #2569
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

WOW ! There by the grace of God ...
Had it gone in another direction, Utah might have it's own "Great Salt Lake tsunami".
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #2570
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's an interesting piece, right up to the point where he talks about the prices and the global ripples. At that point the author slipped and fell and hurt his head and will need hospitalization to recover.

Copper prices have been steadily falling, including in the last two weeks despite this event. And despite this event, worldwide production will outstrip demand in 2013. Goldman Sachs said so less than an hour ago. May futures are down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsj
NEW YORK—Prices of copper futures eased as Goldman Sachs GS -0.02% cut its price forecasts for the metal on mounting worries about economic growth in the world's top consumer.

The most-actively traded copper contract, for May delivery, recently traded down 1.75 cents, or 0.6%, to $3.131 a pound on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Futures were on track for their lowest settlement since October 2011, slipping deeper into bear-market territory. A drop of 20% or more typically signifies a bear market, and futures on Friday settled down 21% from their February 2012 high of $3.97 a pound.

Goldman Sachs on Monday lowered its forecasts for copper prices this year, citing rising global stocks of the metal and mounting worries regarding China's growth outlook. The nation accounts for 40% of global copper consumption, and a reading last week on first-quarter economic activity showed growth unexpectedly slowed.

Goldman slashed its forecast for copper prices a year from now by 12%, to $3.17 a pound, from $3.62 a pound previously.

The cut "reflects market concerns about Chinese growth," Goldman analysts wrote. Still, they said economic activity there was stronger than the market was accounting for. Copper prices would likely rebound in the next three to six months, the analysts said, before pointing lower afterward as more mine production comes online.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #2571
glatt

Well, that's good. The article mentioned that this mine accounted for 1% of world production, so the loss of its production didn't seem like it would be that huge. I wonder about the insurance angle. Goldman Sachs has probably already accounted for that though.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #2572
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The increased use of plastic for plumbing/piping, and the drop in new housing drove the prices down.
Copper will continue to decline until all the empty houses in Detroit are stripped.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #2573
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Start saving your pennies... they may go on the endangered species list
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #2574
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do you have a zinc to that.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #2575
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

12 Internet Firsts

Very interesting.

Don't know why it's in 'Finance'.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #2576
glatt

that was cool.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #2577
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Simpsons

I found this video on Conan O'Brien chatting with four other writers from the Simpsons. They talk about the history, dealing with FOX, dealing with guest stars, and a lot of things that happened behind the scenes.

It's long, very long, 81 minutes, but interesting to fans.

One tidbit was the show with Michael Jackson guesting. They sent him a rough draft and asked if he would do a show. He sent it back with a couple very funny jokes penciled in, and said he'd love to, So they sent him the final script, and he showed up knowing his lines and very cooperative... unlike some guests.

So they are taping away and it comes time for him to sing the first of his songs, he stops dead, and motions to one of his entourage to come in the booth. Everybody's looking at each other like WTF, and this little white dude comes in the booth and starts singing Jacko's song.

Turns out the dude was the Lennon Sister's little brother, and he sang it perfectly, just like Jacko. There was some kind of contractual problem with Jacko singing on the show. I didn't know they had singing voice doubles, it makes me think of Milli Vanilli, but of course Jacko could sing.

Oh, they all agreed Johnny Carson was probably the finest human being in show business.

There's much more.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #2578
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Check this out , http://www.zygotebody.com
Old 04-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #2579
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It tells me my browser is not supported, both in IE and Firefox.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #2580
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Me, too.

They can choke on a turd.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote