The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #31
monster
I hear them call the tide

Has anyone checked Ebay and Craigslist[Asia]?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #32
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Has anyone even checked the passenger list to see if there was a butler on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
... and home to my Alma Matter
Appaliachian Christian School, Boone NC
I've been in and around Boone with friends who were born and raised in Drexel (near Morganton). Nice area of the country.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #33
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
well played
Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #34
glatt

Simplest theory I've heard yet was that the plane experience a fire with smoke in the cockpit. Possibly from the front landing gear. The pilots turned to one of the closest airports, with the easiest approach, Palau Langkawi. They set the automatic pilot and then started shutting off nonessential systems in the hope that the fire was electrical and they would extinguish whatever was burning by shutting off systems. (That's why the transponder was shut off.) Trying to extinguish the fire was the top priority before radioing in with air traffic control. But the smoke knocked them out before they could make any radio transmission. The plane flew to Palau Langkawi and flew over it and out to sea where the plane ran out of gas and hit the water.

Via Business Insider.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fly in the ointment, they had radio contact 8 minutes after disappearing from radar.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #36
glatt

Yeah, the guy came up with the theory two days ago, before the timeline was known. But he argues in the comments that there could have been an electrical fire or other problem that took out the transponder and that the radio call a few minutes later was before the pilots realized there was a problem.

I like it that he's looking for the simplest explanation to fit the facts. Mechanical problem, plane turns to nearest convenient airport, they put it on autopilot while dealing with problem, they become incapacitated and the plane just keeps flying until it can't fly any more. It fits what we know.

I think all the terror theories rely on too many leaps of reason. It's very hard to hide a plane that big from satellite view. It would have to be sitting on an airstrip, and we know where all the airstrips are and could have checked them all by now by satellite.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #37
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

PSA *

You said:
Quote:
Do you really think people from the back woods of the Appliachians could do all that? An Emergency Location Transmitter would be activated and received by satellites. --snip
Grav said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
At least we can spell Appalachian, you fucking genius.
then you tried to refute him by saying:
Quote:
none of which supports your point, even if you did find it on the internet. You just made a spelling mistake, no biggie. You compounded the error when you misidentified your error (four times). It is ironic that you insult the intelligence of the "people from the back woods of Appliachians (sic)" and then make a spelling mistake. It is funny that you quadrupled down on your mistake. It would be a miracle if you admitted your error. But I expect no such admission; after all, you only know how to read.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #38
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

It's in Pakistan, being prepared for another attack
Old 03-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #39
monster

Maybe there was typo in the pilot's instructions?

I wonder what the Chinese relatives hope to achieve by threatening a hunger strike? If Malaysia doesn't care about their relatives (as they complain) why do they think it will care about them?
Old 03-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #40
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It would have to be sitting on an airstrip, and we know where all the airstrips are and could have checked them all by now by satellite.
Apparently that model is capable of non airstrip landings.

here is an article from the BBC discussing 10 theories, landing on a beach or in the desert is given as a possibilty ( not necessarily in a condition to take off again), also that it turned of it's signals and shadowed another aircraft, appearing as one blip on radar.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26609687
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #41
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Maybe the airline got behind in payments on the airplane and the repo men took it (probably the ones with the fake passports).
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #42
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Has anyone even checked the passenger list to see if there was a butler on board?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #43
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
It would be a miracle if you admitted your error.
Playing minds of the emotional is fun. Some get so wacko over an intentional spelling error.

With contempt, you still failed to notice another intentional misspelling - Alma Matter. Does it matter? Well, some fish are picky about which bait they will bite on. Fishing for the opprobrious is challenging.

Last edited by tw; 03-18-2014 at 09:29 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #44
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's very hard to hide a plane that big from satellite view.
Thieves can strip a car in less than five minutes. How many minutes for an airplane?

Airline industry is a cut-throat business. But hundreds of throats?

Anybody need parts for a 777?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #45
monster

I could use a few parts for a 666, can I get a discount?