The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-08-2004, 04:35 PM   #61
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

Quote:
...who daily renew my faith that the human race will not degenerate into a "what else can we do for the criminal to make jail a warmer, fuzzier place" society.

Sidhe, if we were generalising things to the point of being rediculous, I'd say you're more the "Let's make blind, ill-thought decisions based on anger and revenge, and shit all over due-process" type.

It's a good thing we're still being level headed, you silly bint
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:01 PM   #62
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore

Now hon, in all fairness, how many times have we watched something like "Forensic Files" and they manage to find something in the most unlikely of places? I know you are not saying just because nothing was found that nothing CAN be found...right?

XOXO
Do you think it's more likely that these cases are on TV because they are the norm, or because they are unique or remarkable in some way?
Old 06-08-2004, 06:10 PM   #63
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sidhe
I listen. Doesn't mean I have to change my original opinion, though. Merely because people disagree doesn't mean that the reasons behind that disagreement are strong enough to change my original opinion.

you've been here since november of 03. 780 posts as i write this. show me one instance of you changing your mind about something, or accepting that you were incorrect in your initial assesment, or that you overlooked something that makes you feel differently about something. just one, and I will apologize to you on bended knee and beg your forgiveness for calling you a moron. take your time.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:25 PM   #64
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think Sidhe took me off her ignore list, does that count?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:53 PM   #65
marichiko

Quote:
You're acting as if you assume that everyone in jail is innocent. Not everyone is.

Like I said before, prison is supposed to be a place people don't want to go to....a punishment. But they have more privileges than law-abiding citizens do:

free medical care
free law library and representation
three meals a day, a place to sleep, clothes to wear
a gym
cable tv

Hell, I can't afford that stuff, yet they get it?
We treat our prisoners better than we treat our homeless. That's bullshit.

Prison is a punishment, period. They get enough perks as it is, especially federal prisoners. They shouldn't have the privilege of voting.
Now here I disagree with you, Sid. I've been in jail like I said in another thread. I was too poor to buy car insurance, drove my car, anyhow and got caught. Mandatory 30 days in jail, so off I went and paid my debt to society.

The free medical care consisted of an aspirin 3 days after you'd sent a "kite" (formal written request) to the deputy in charge of your floor. People had all kinds of SERIOUS conditions that they got no medical care for. I watched an epileptic go into seizures twice, for example, and nothing was done for her. A woman with MS was deprived of her medication, on and on.

Prisoners who had no lawyer (were acting in their own behalf) could go to the law library for two hours every other week. No one else was allowed NEAR the law library.

The three meals a day were scant and what there was was inedible. The firm that had the private contract of providing "food" to the prisoners was later found to be bilking the state out of thousands of dollars by shorting on prisoners portions among other things. I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks. The inmates who had money were the ones who ate. They ordered weekly supplies of ramen from the prison commisary and paid with their own money.

The free clothes consisted of a thin set of short sleeved shirts and cotton trousers, no underware, no sweators, although it was Feburary and freezing cold. You felt the cold even more because you were always hungry.

There was no gym, no exercise facilities. If you tried walking around the ward to get exercise and a guard noticed you doing this, you would be ordered back to your pallet (most of us slept on pallets on the floor - bunks in the cells were reserved for a few "elite prisoners due to overcrowding).

The single TV was controlled by the guards and it was allowed to be on maybe a total of 4 hours a day, less if the ward was on "lock down" which seemed to be most of the time.

Maybe if I keep posting this experience enough, you'll actually read it one of these times, Sid. This is a true experience of someone who has actually been there - not some fairy tale made up by a newscaster who wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and got the "for press only" royal tour by the warden which just so happened to not go by anything where the real prison conditions could be seen.

They told me that we women prisoners were "coddled" compared to the men. I shudder to think what conditions on their side were like.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:57 PM   #66
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by ladysycamore
Now hon, in all fairness, how many times have we watched something like "Forensic Files" and they manage to find something in the most unlikely of places? I know you are not saying just because nothing was found that nothing CAN be found...right?
Sidhe made the claim that she has "never heard of a murder case in which the murderer did not leave something at the crime scene." I find this very hard to believe.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:04 PM   #67
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sidhe made the claim that she has "never heard of a murder case in which the murderer did not leave something at the crime scene." I find this very hard to believe.

If you cover your ears and say LALALALA often enough, you can "never hear" about most things.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:24 PM   #68
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What's a "bint"?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:32 PM   #69
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

bint Noun. A woman. From the Arabic 'bint' meaning girl or daughter. Derog.

British colloq.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:34 PM   #70
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thank You.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:44 PM   #71
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbonated_Brains

Ah, once again, television comes to rebut the troublesome cold-hard facts.
Don't know if you have Forensic Files in Canada, but it's a TRUE crime show that shows how forensics has been used to solve crimes. Real crimes that have been solved. Not make-believe.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:47 PM   #72
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I think Sidhe took me off her ignore list, does that count?
Thank you, Wolf.

I realized that, because of something Wolf said to me in private, that she wasn't the way I thought she was, and I changed my mind about her. I was perfectly ready to continue to dislike her, period, until then.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Old 06-08-2004, 07:48 PM   #73
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko

Now here I disagree with you, Sid. I've been in jail like I said in another thread. I was too poor to buy car insurance, drove my car, anyhow and got caught. Mandatory 30 days in jail, so off I went and paid my debt to society.

The free medical care consisted of an aspirin 3 days after you'd sent a "kite" (formal written request) to the deputy in charge of your floor. People had all kinds of SERIOUS conditions that they got no medical care for. I watched an epileptic go into seizures twice, for example, and nothing was done for her. A woman with MS was deprived of her medication, on and on.

Prisoners who had no lawyer (were acting in their own behalf) could go to the law library for two hours every other week. No one else was allowed NEAR the law library.

The three meals a day were scant and what there was was inedible. The firm that had the private contract of providing "food" to the prisoners was later found to be bilking the state out of thousands of dollars by shorting on prisoners portions among other things. I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks. The inmates who had money were the ones who ate. They ordered weekly supplies of ramen from the prison commisary and paid with their own money.

The free clothes consisted of a thin set of short sleeved shirts and cotton trousers, no underware, no sweators, although it was Feburary and freezing cold. You felt the cold even more because you were always hungry.

There was no gym, no exercise facilities. If you tried walking around the ward to get exercise and a guard noticed you doing this, you would be ordered back to your pallet (most of us slept on pallets on the floor - bunks in the cells were reserved for a few "elite prisoners due to overcrowding).

The single TV was controlled by the guards and it was allowed to be on maybe a total of 4 hours a day, less if the ward was on "lock down" which seemed to be most of the time.

Maybe if I keep posting this experience enough, you'll actually read it one of these times, Sid. This is a true experience of someone who has actually been there - not some fairy tale made up by a newscaster who wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and got the "for press only" royal tour by the warden which just so happened to not go by anything where the real prison conditions could be seen.

They told me that we women prisoners were "coddled" compared to the men. I shudder to think what conditions on their side were like.

Hey, I've been there too, remember?

-Rita Rudner

Old 06-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #74
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally posted by Clodfobble

If you cover your ears and say LALALALA often enough, you can "never hear" about most things.

You leave something everywhere you go, whether you commit a crime or not: hair, skin flakes, clothing fibers. It's whether they FOUND the forensic evidence or not .

-Rita Rudner

Old 06-08-2004, 07:58 PM   #75
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:

Don't know if you have Forensic Files in Canada, but it's a TRUE crime show that shows how forensics has been used to solve crimes. Real crimes that have been solved. Not make-believe.
How often do they pick crimes for which no evidence was found?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote