The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #481
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Perhaps you would like to place an offer on a 1957 Gibson J-200.

I know I would, but at least now I know what it's like to tune and play one.

Another good thing about working at the shop.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #482
Griff
still says videotape

That is so pretty. Not much wear?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #483
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Very little for a 56-year-old instrument! I tuned it up and played it and IT WAS LIKE BUTTA I TELL YOU

Most beautiful tone of any acoustic I've played... which is about 20 of em, but anyway!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #484
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Gorgeous, a real beauty.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #485
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Very little for a 56-year-old instrument! I tuned it up and played it and IT WAS LIKE BUTTA I TELL YOU

Most beautiful tone of any acoustic I've played... which is about 20 of em, but anyway!
Calm down, Brando.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #486
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Today was hate whitey day at the shop.

There is a weird rhythm of the shop. I've mentioned this before. Some of it is the monthly checks that are received, which create a flood of people buying money orders and reimbursing their pawn tickets.

Those are the good days. But somehow, today's rhythms led to hate whitey day, where every deal I suggested was met with being accused of ripping people off. I even got a reaction to the $2 key duplication price. $2 a key! That's pretty much the going rate, and if you're pissed off at $2 a key, there's something more than the price of a key that's pissing you off.

Well it could have been predicted that at 2pm in the afternoon, somebody was pissed off about the price of $2 per key duplication.

Was it because today was Lincoln's birthday, not recognized as a Federal holiday until next Monday?

Or is it just a normal cycle of desperation, one that happens until the 15th of the month?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #487
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Look to the moon
Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #488
glatt

Lincoln's birthday? I don't think so. I doubt any customers at the pawn shop know Lincoln's birthday. They probably don't even know President's Day, since they don't have jobs and won't get the day off.

I bet it's the weather. Yesterday was the first kinda nice day after several days of crappy weather. So people were out and about and carrying that cooped-up bad feeling with them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #489
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On Friday night a guy got shot and killed a half block from where I park. I left at 5:40 pm, the guy got shot at 7:40 pm.

Yesterday as we left there was massive police activity across the street from the store. Like cops running in, cops running out, 5 cars, couldn't find any information on it but it looked like it was in or next to the Chinese place where we get lunch.

Good times!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #490
glatt

Quote:
On Friday night a guy got shot and killed a half block from where I park. I left at 5:40 pm, the guy got shot at 7:40 pm.
This would concern me depending on the nature of the shooting. Was it a robbery gone bad, or was it a dispute between two people who knew each other? I think most shootings in a city are between people who know each other and there's a reason one wants the other dead. Not a cause for immediate personal worry.

If it was a robbery gone bad, then I would be very concerned, because that could be you.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #491
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"No one has been arrested in Samuel-Bey’s killing, and police have not released a motive."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/d...ladelphia.html
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #492
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Today was hate whitey day at the shop.

There is a weird rhythm of the shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
Look to the moon
Bingo! New moon was on the 10th

I had two people pick up glasses late Monday. Both whined about their new vision
Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #493
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

it MIGHT be the moon (I always swore it was when in nursing practice) but it's more likely that the windfall of the 1st of the month is down to beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

when you only get paid once a month it's very hard not to run out and buy all the things you need/want right away and save a bit for the last two weeks.

I just paid a guy 53.50 to tell me the flap on my furnace filter was what was making the buzzing noise in my furnace. A less than one second job. I feel like a fool. but I know NOTHING about home ownership----and housecalls from tradespeople ususally start at 100.00 just for showing up. I have a non-working disposal, non-working dishwasher, and two leaking faucets. No landlord. He's 85 and a psychokiller [ psycho killer qu'est-ce que c'est ]

UT- I sincerely hope you don't get shot or otherwise maimed while at job, walking to or from said job and I hope you don't lose your sense of humor over it. Working with pawn people is probably a lot like working with the mentally ill----hell, they probably ARE mentally ill---a good portion, anyway.

I am trying. I am really, really trying not to be a psychopath-----(thanks, Dana, for the reading suggestion)----but it's hard once you've been around the wrong side of the tracks one too many times. It begins to wear off on you, like a stink you just can't get rid of and before you know it...well, for me, I was becoming LIKE THEM. Also, the culture of health care in this nation is such that you don't want to know. Lunch? uh.....take a bite of sandwich in between patients. Sometimes I was still swallowing my turkey bite when I entered a pts. room.

I kinda wish the END was near. I was very happy floating about space being nothing and unconscious. Like I've said before---mafioso in another life. I pay. I pay. As do we all.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #494
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I was being fast and loose with the metaphors up there in that post.

all apologies. "once you've been around the wrong side of the tracks one too many times..." sounds like a hobo ho.
what the hell kind of saying is that?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #495
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"Now I got the earrings, now you can get you some pussy."
-- woman leaving the shop with her man yesterday

Happy Valentine's Day!! People are coming in for VD jewelry today.

"What's the cheapest engagement ring you got?"
-- man on Valentine's Day last year, before even approaching the ring section