Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

How to be a vegetarian?

It sounds so easy but it's not.

We are trying to eat less meat. I cannot eliminate dairy myself.

It's been about a week and I am asking myself, "What is a proper vegetarian???" I can't sit around and carb load.

ritz anyone?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Cloud

"eat food. not too much. mostly plants."
Old 05-21-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

I don't know how "hardcore" you want to go about veg, but here are some thoughts.
You don't have to go the whole route (vegan - no dairy, no meats, etc.). Start slowly, cut back on the red meats, eat more chicken or fish if you like. If you think of being a vegetarian as a life of tofu, you're not going to be too happy. My SO is pretty much a full veg, although she will have chicken occasionally. Me, I'm a committed carnivore, but I don't eat much red meat, (don't actually miss it all that much), and I could just about live on great big salads. Dress them up with chickpeas, avocado, sprouts, whatever you like.There are many, many good veg cookbooks out there, I like the ones from the Moosewood Restaurant myself. Check out Middle Eastern recipes, and Indian cookbooks; cultures where veg is a serious business. One thing - make sure you get enough protein, through white meats or fish, peanut or one of the nut butters.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
sound advice

I would start by adding different things rather than eliminating others. Every time you crave a new recipe try to find something on the healthier end of the spectrum. I'm not going to eliminate meat. I don't even want to but I can add more beans -n- such.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Me and the BF are instituting a lifestyle change as well - although I will never get him away from his red meat entirely, and frankly, the man cooks a mean steak so it's okay every once in awhile. But we both love fish so we're basing our meals on replacing the hormone filled red meat and chicken with mercury laden fish instead.

And I love a big glass of ice cold milk way too much to ever give it up. And I have never eaten tofu.

Like nowhereman said, salads are awesome if you dress them up with the right stuff. As for salad dressings, most often I can't stand the 'lite' or 'fat-free' versions, but take honey and add either lime juice (great on salads with fish or chicken) or honey and spicy brown mustard for dressing. I prefer the natural honey as a sweetener over processed sugars. And the honey, as long as you purchase local honey, helps with your allergies.

Tip: cutting the meat/protein portion in half, then doubling up on the veggies is helping him deal with less meat - and eating the veggies first, the meat last so he's less likely to not finish the veggies because he's too full. Also, instead of using breads for sandwiches, use whole lettuce leaves.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
lizzymahoney
Major Inhabitant

Some people really don't tolerate a veg diet well. Look at Paul McCartney, for instance. He has the advantage of wealth and all, but his skin and hair began to change when he went all veg. It's probably a lack of complete proteins and B vitamins.

Pay attention to the things you eat and the food that makes you feel good. If you feel bloated or tired or crampy after eating something it may not be good for you.

Such as dairy. You like milk, but there's a reasonable chance that you are lactose intolerant. Not absolutely true, but a lot of women are. So if you go to cheese and milk for protein, you may have some problems tolerating larger quantities of it.

Try and eat whole grains for the vitamins and minerals, and I'd suggest you take a good multi-vit tablet with minerals.

Veggies will go through you more easily than a meat based meal. You might have to adjust to the less full feeling. It doesn't mean that you are hungry really, but our minds interpret the lack of fullness as a lack of satiety. It isn't, but you'll adapt.

Stuff like your urine and poop will change, too. Try and deal with it with the foods you eat rather than altering body chemistry with medications. Sure many meds have natural ingredients in them, like the kaolin clay in some anti-diarrheals, but drinking blackberry tea or blackberry brandy will slow the rush too. Just slower and more comfortably metabolized.

ok, this is like my third post and I'm already talking about poop. sheesh.
lizzymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
ok, this is like my third post and I'm already talking about poop. sheesh.
We rarely get a new dwellar that fits in so well so fast.

Welcome. Here's some paper, please flush early and often.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

What they all said, really.

I second Nowhereman's suggestion that you look at recipes from vegetarian cultures though. Southern Indian food is varied and delicious for example.

Don't just try to make the usual meat & two veg meals into veg and two veg (although it helps to increase veg portions in the transition stage as Smurf says). Try cooking completely different style meals. Use vegetables you wouldn't usually serve with meat - aubergines, sweet potatoes, romano peppers and pulses like chickpeas, lentils, bulgar wheat.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I like Morningstar Farms and Amy's Organics in the frozen food section--check it out! Vegetarian Corn dogs! YAY!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
busterb
NSABFD

Stop by. I'll show ya some vegies.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:13 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Through a weird happenstance (yes, I know I specialize in them), I work with not one, but two, vegetarians on my shift in my department. There are four people total on my shift. I get to see their approach to food up close and personal, so to speak, although probably not at it's most nutritious best ... the guy tends to order mixed cheese hoagies with hots on the side and fried mushrooms a lot. Often enough that when it's my turn to be the waitress (designated order taker and placer of the phone order) I just say, "Your usual, sir?" This occasionally gets changed up with grilled swiss and asparagus on rye (a frequent special at our most reliable restaurant), or 'shroom 'za. The chick usually goes for a cheese calzone or one of the meatless pasta dishes. At least once or twice a week they split a garbage-can veggie 'za. The guy keeps a couple cans of something bizarre (Big Mamma Bertha's Collard Greens, or something from the Indian Grocery of doubtful provenance) in what passes for the kitchen area, although I've never actually seen him eat any of these. They also order a lot of things involving tofu from the Chinese delivery restaurant.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:17 AM   #12
rkzenrage

Broths & sauces are the hardest thing to avoid. Everyone lies about them.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:50 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Baked beans, butter beans, lima beans, string beans, green beans, black beans, kidney beans, pea beans, navy beans, pinto beans.... but I want jelly beans.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

oops....I forgot about this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I could just about live on great big salads. Dress them up with chickpeas, avocado, sprouts, whatever you like.
love those anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
sound advice
I'm all ears. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfalicious View Post
And I love a big glass of ice cold milk way too much to ever give it up.
no truer words have ever been spoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzymahoney View Post
Some people really don't tolerate a veg diet well.

Try and eat whole grains for the vitamins and minerals, and I'd suggest you take a good multi-vit tablet with minerals.

Stuff like your urine and poop will change, too. Try and deal with it with the foods you eat rather than altering body chemistry with medications. Sure many meds have natural ingredients in them, like the kaolin clay in some anti-diarrheals, but drinking blackberry tea or blackberry brandy will slow the rush too. Just slower and more comfortably metabolized.
we couldn't tolerate it very well but I love the other good helpful info. Already into teas, honey and vitamins....oh lest not forget the brandy. good medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
What they all said, really.

Don't just try to make the usual meat & two veg meals into veg and two veg (although it helps to increase veg portions in the transition stage as Smurf says). Try cooking completely different style meals. Use vegetables you wouldn't usually serve with meat - aubergines, sweet potatoes, romano peppers and pulses like chickpeas, lentils, bulgar wheat.
good suggestions SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Vegetarian Corn dogs! YAY!
You are trying to make me vomit! Corn dogs! what's in a veggie corn dog? Id like to know.

I do like those veggie burgers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Stop by. I'll show ya some vegies.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
grilled swiss and asparagus on rye
oh yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Broths & sauces are the hardest thing to avoid. Everyone lies about them.
somehow that statement tickled my funny bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Baked beans, butter beans, lima beans, string beans, green beans, black beans, kidney beans, pea beans, navy beans, pinto beans.... but I want jelly beans.
did someone say j.e.l.l.y. b.e.a.n.s!

anyway, needless to say I too love mercury laden fish too much to be a true veggie I've decided.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #15
Yepa
Listening

I'm going pescetarian. After reading up on vegetarian and vegan diets, I've decided to just cut out meat. The fish stays. It's just too good to give up, and my reasons for going veggie really don't apply to fish. I'm also allergic to dairy, so it'll just be eggs (occationally), seafood, and the rest vegan food. I'm already enjoying my new diet. I actually very my meals a lot more now than when I ate meat and was unaware of my dairy-allergy.