The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 01-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #481
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thumbs up Lobster Mac & Cheese

A comfort-food apotheosis, this one.

From Cal Hancock, of Hancock Gourmet Lobster Company.

Time: About one hour. Four quart Casserole dish.

You need 1 1/4 sticks butter for everything.

The Pasta:
1 lb shells, macaroni, small shaped pasta
8 TBSP salted butter, divided -- one quarter of butter
1 sm yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic
5 TBSP allpurpose flour
2 C light cream
2 C gruyere cheese, shredded -- with
3 C cheddar cheese, also shredded
1/2 C grated Romano cheese
salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
8 oz cooked lobster meat, cut bite size (about 2 1.5lb lobsters' worth)

The Topping:
2 TBSP salted butter
3/4 C panko
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley

Doing It:
1. Cook the Pasta per directions, cool in colander with cold water
2. Preheat oven 350 F.
3. In medium saucepan, melt 3 TBSP Butter over medium heat. Stir in Onion and Garlic, cooking until onion is translucent, about 5 min, transfer to sm dish
4. Melt remaining 5 TBSP Butter in that saucepan. Whisk in Flour, stir until mixture is light golden brown and glossy, 8-10 min. Gradually whisk in Cream into the mixture; increase heat to med-high, bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to med-low, continuing to stir until mixture is thick, creamy and smooth, about 10-15 min.
5. Add Onion-Garlic mixture back in, and add all three Cheeses, stirring until mixture is creamy smooth with the cheeses melted in. Season to taste w/Salt & Pepper. Gently stir in Lobster and reserved Pasta. Pour into 4qt casserole, smooth the top if needed.
6. The Topping: in sm saucepan over med heat melt the 2 TBSP Butter. Add Panko crumbs and Parsley, cook, stirring, until lightly toasted. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake in the preheated oven until sauce is bubbly and top is golden brown, about 10-12 min. 6 servings.

One of those very rich Mac & Cheeses. Probably just as good with canned crab, or varied with cubed ham in place of lobster.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #482
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That looks freaking delicious. Why are you trying to sabotage my nascent resolution to eat better?

Eta: my post was directed to orthodoc, imagine my surprise to see it appear following your mac and cheese devilrey. Fine. It applies equally to that one too.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #483
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Thanks, V. The peppermint cheesecake recipe is great during the holidays - you can always keep it until Dec. 2014.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #484
limegreenc
shed door curio

Broccoli salad

1 pkg broccoli slaw
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 pkg Mr. Noodle (chicken or vegetable) broken up
1/2 cup chopped green onions
3/4 cup sesame oil
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dried cranberries
seasoning from the soup

Best eaten the next day-mmmmm
Old 01-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #485
Urbane Guerrilla

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
mmm yummy

I think this is the best thread ever.
For the BUMP.

BigV, you're right. It IS freaking delicious. We gnawed on it the entire four day visit and there wasn't a drop left.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:02 AM   #486
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Life is short.

You guys are my friends. You've done a lot for me. Now, I'm paying back *all* of it. Here ya go. You're welcome.

This is a recipe for ice cream. I love ice cream. I remember when I was a kid, I thought that one of the best parts of growing up was that someday, someday, I'd be able to have more than two scoops of ice cream if I wanted to. When you make this recipe, you're gonna realize my childhood dream.

Quote:
Makes 1 pint

1 1/4 cups (300 milliliters) heavy or double cream, well-chilled
2/3 cup (175 grams) sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
2 tablespoons espresso liqueur

Whisk all the ingredients together just until the whisk leaves trails of soft peaks in the bowl, and you have a gorgeous, caffe-latte-colored airy mixture.
Fill two 500-milliliter or two 1-pint airtight containers, and freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Serve straight from the freezer.
Now for some notes. the 2/3 cup of sweetened condensed milk, just give up. Make a double batch, that's 396 grams of sweetened condensed milk. That's one whole can, super easy. Put an extra splash of heavy whipping cream in there to balance it (AFTER doubling the heavy whipping cream to 2 1/2 cups in proportion to the doubled sweetened condensed milk). I've made this recipe a few times now. By adding all the ingredients together and then whipping it, you get a product that is very, very creamy, with not a lot of air in it. It's much closer to gelato in texture. I've also whipped the heavy cream first then added the other ingredients, this produces a much airier product, still delicious, just lighter in texture. Also it requires much more space in the freezer.

As for the flavoring, go crazy. I've made coffee ice cream, my favorite so far, cookies with fudge swirl, toffee and chocolate. The ice cream base of the cream/milk lends itself to practically anything. When I made the coffee one (described in the attached copied recipe) I didn't have any espresso liquor to add, so I substituted vodka. It worked just fine. I boozed up other batches too, to the tune of four ounces of clear liquor to one double batch.

What makes this a great recipe? It's delicious. It's SUPER EASY. And it's fast. The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for it to freeze. Good luck with that. Like I said, Life is short--Dessert First.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #487
glatt

So the only sugar is in the sweetened condensed milk.

Is it a sweet dessert? Or just a coffee flavor?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #488
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It is sweet like you expect ice cream to be. All of the sweetness comes from the sweetened condensed milk.

I hope you try it. If you like ice cream, you'll love this recipe. It's delicious, very rich.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #489
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Must try soon. Certainly does sound yummy, although very high in calorie. But low-fat ice cream just doesn't sound very tasty.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #490
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's gonna be 80 degrees here today, emergency dessert conditions. I might resort to some of these recipes in an emergency, but I'd have to be pretty hot and pretty hungry. I haven't made any of these, so, if you do, please report your results here.

10 Wacky and Wonderful Ice Cream Flavors

Quote:
It's official: summer has arrived. As the temperatures rise, we've been dreaming about delicious ways to cool off. A frozen treat is the perfect way to indulge during the hot days of summer, and these recipes are definitely worth treating yourself to. Sweet, salty, nutty, fruity -- these recipes cover all the taste bases. Put your beloved chocolate and vanilla back in the freezer and try one -- or all! -- of these unique flavors.

Olive Oil-Saffron Ice Cream with Burnt Orange Caramel Swirl

Fresh Ricotta Ice Cream

Maple-Sage Ice Cream with Maple-Sage Sugared Walnuts

Ginger Ice Cream with Honey-Sesame Brittle

Arnold Palmer Ice Cream

Kabocha Vanilla Chai Ice Cream

Maple Ice Cream with Tipsy Raisins and Maple Candied Cashews

Strawberry Fennel Ice Cream

Oatmeal Ice Cream with Toasted Walnuts

Mango Ice Cream with Chili Sea Salt
Old 06-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #491
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Westernized Chinese Food.

Ham Fried Rice.

Pork Dumplings.

Orange Beef.

Sriracha Chicken.

Spare Ribs.

Shrimp Chow Mein.

Beijing Beef.

Beef Broccoli.

Orange Teriyaki Chicken.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #492
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've only now discovered what is apparently an old standby in the faux-BBQ sauce arena:

Mix ketchup and Coca-Cola (or pretty much any cola drink - I read Sprite and/or 7Up, also, but with a much different result than the BBQ-ish sauce), 50/50 for how much you need. I added a dash of Tabasco. I use this for a marinade (works great on pork chops).

I also just read about using plain yellow mustard and water, 50/50, to dredge your fish (this recipe used redfish) in before dredging it in flour to fry fish. Haven't tried this yet.

Anyone used either of these methods before?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #493
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I also just read about using plain yellow mustard and water,
Anyone used either of these methods before?
Used it last night to grill a 12lb turkey I de-boned. My neighbor told me to try it... I had never used it before and I must admit, it was fantastic.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #494
Urbane Guerrilla

Oop -- Misnamed; it's Kaimak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
I just banged together a crude Ayran using one of those powerful little hand blenders that try and suck down onto the bottom of the container if you let them. Some yoghurt we'd had to put on ice in a picnic cooler ended up with a great deal of water in it because of that. I poured a little yoghurt whey off the top as I usually do when it shows up and saw the yoghurt was pretty thoroughly diluted with water all the way down but was otherwise good. I cast my mind back to a summer's day during my sojourn among the Turks and having gotten a glass of ayran. It's a yoghurt-based drink.

Enough yoghurt to fill a glass
About half that much water
Large pinch of salt, to taste
Optional sugar or other sweetening

Blend all ingredients with plenty of power, buzzing it up until water and yoghurt are thoroughly incorporated. The result is like mild buttermilk, with a slight overlay of salt and sweet. It might, like buttermilk, be good with black pepper included or sprinkled on top. Serves one.
Memory fail -- this is called Kaymak.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #495
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

That sounds very much like a lassi.

I love them in the heat, and prefer the salted ones. The most common pre-packaged lassis over here tend to be too sweet for me (and usually mango)

Tags
recipes