The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 07-01-2003, 05:58 AM   #1
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Thor and his Thumbs

This is the cat I'm pet-sitting for the next two weeks. He has thumbs (or extra toes) and can pick up items. I don't think the mutation is very rare, but it's a cute pic anyway.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2003, 01:59 PM   #2
juju
no one of consequence

Are they opposable?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:01 PM   #3
headsplice
Relaxed

And, if they're opposable, do you think you could train him to open things? That would take fetch to an entirely different level. Sort of like a helper monkey, but with less poo-flinging.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:48 PM   #4
Leus
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally posted by headsplice
Sort of like a helper monkey, but with less poo-flinging.
Without mentioning poo eating.
Leus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:11 PM   #5
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Are they opposable?
Not opposable in the sense that he can touch his "thumb" to his other toes. That would be something. But he can pick up things. I've seen him reach into a bag of cat treats, pick them out and eat them.

He's also been known to play with his food and throw it around. But thankfully, no poo-flinging.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:14 PM   #6
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally posted by headsplice
And, if they're opposable, do you think you could train him to open things? That would take fetch to an entirely different level. Sort of like a helper monkey, but with less poo-flinging.
A friend of mine out west told me about a cat with this same mutation who was a kleptomaniac. I never met this cat, and this was long before I met Thor. Apparently, the cat would sneak into neighbors' houses and steal things.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:03 PM   #7
headsplice
Relaxed

My cat just likes to sneak into other peoples' houses. All of the neighbors know him because they've found him right inside the door looking bewildered.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:33 PM   #8
linknoid
Superior Inhabitant

My cat doesn't have any extra toes, but she often refuses to eat out of her cat dish, instead pulling the food out onto the floor where she eats it, and on rare occasions, she'll skip the floor and eat it straight from her paw. I got a short video of her doing it a while back, but you couldn't really see what she was doing in it, so no point in posting it.
linknoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:54 PM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Now in Key West they have Hemingway's cats with extra toes, but I've never heard of cats being able to pick up things, except in a fantasy book series with a character who had pet thumbed pyromaniac cats.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:20 AM   #10
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by bmgb
Apparently, the cat would sneak into neighbors' houses and steal things.
I'd train'm on wallets then turn'm loose on the neighborhood! Perhaps jewelery, but that'd be harder, because you wouldn't want them draggin home boxes full of crappy costume jewelery...

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #11
Leus
Abecedarian

I had a cat that used to eat with his pawns. It was the funniest thing to watching him eat rice.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:28 PM   #12
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Quote:
Originally posted by Leus
I had a cat that used to eat with his pawns. It was the funniest thing to watching him eat rice.
My cat is way too regal to bother with his pawns. He uses only the Bishops, Kings or Queens to eat with.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #13
Leus
Abecedarian

Paws, you nazi.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 AM   #14
Snoogans
Kinda New Member

My cat, Merry, also has "thumbs". She is able to wrap them around items such as pens and various toys (she can hold a toy mouse in one "hand" if she gets a firm grip). Her "thumbs" seem very opposable but I doubt she could be taught to do much with them, she isn't the brightest cat in the world. It's asking alot to have thumbs and a huge cat brain all in one genetic roll of the dice... but if it had worked out like that I'd be making some cash with a reading / writing cat scam.

P.S. No offense, but the cat you are sitting does not deserve such a strong and noble name as Thor. He may be a lovely animal but his gut is very un-godly... try to get his owners to cut down on the feedings or something.
Attached Images

Last edited by Snoogans; 07-08-2003 at 12:40 AM.
Snoogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:29 PM   #15
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans
P.S. No offense, but the cat you are sitting does not deserve such a strong and noble name as Thor. He may be a lovely animal but his gut is very un-godly... try to get his owners to cut down on the feedings or something.
Cool cat!

Thor is on a diet constantly. He gets 1/8 cup of food in the AM and 1/8 cup food in the PM. His humans love him dearly and they worry about his health. He's been bigger. Oh, I think the pic is from a year ago anyway.