The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #901
glatt

True.

Reminds me of a very recent story. Our new neighbor (young guy) was leaving his parents house in upstate New York, near Albany, after a trip to pick up some furniture, and decided to rely on their GPS to get him back to DC. It took him due north initially, and he thought that was curious but decided to follow the directions because he thought it might know a better route. After driving for two hours deep into Vermont, he decided to look at a real map, because it just seemed wrong. The GPS had taken him in basically the opposite direction and he had to retrace his route, adding 4 hours to his trip.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #902
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

the google logo is pretty damn cute today. just keep clicking on the down stripey thing. fun for all.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #903
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hmmmm. What google logo are you seeing? This is what I'm seeing:
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #904
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Reminds me of a very recent story. Our new neighbor (young guy) was leaving his parents house in upstate New York, near Albany, after a trip to pick up some furniture, and decided to rely on their GPS to get him back to DC. It took him due north initially, and he thought that was curious but decided to follow the directions because he thought it might know a better route. After driving for two hours deep into Vermont, he decided to look at a real map, because it just seemed wrong. The GPS had taken him in basically the opposite direction and he had to retrace his route, adding 4 hours to his trip.
Maybe he mistyped it as BC, and the GPS was just taking him to British Columbia like he'd asked?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #905
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes or QC, Quebec

User error seems most likely, since it was a device he wasn't familiar with.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #906
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

re gps, young driver, unfamiliar territory...

Eldest son was gifted a new to him truck a couple years ago, here in Washington. He was understandably excited, and was looking forward to driving back to school in New York. We met at a coffee shop on his way back east at about mile one. I bought breakfast, checked in with him about the state of the truck, etc. He was undertaking this cross country trip with ample, no, a superabundance of confidence and enthusiasm. This was good, except it didn't make much room for, you know... reality.

I followed him to the nearest gas station where I filled up his tank, bought a few quarts of oil and an atlas. He'd intended to take this trip with his iPhone as his only map. What if the battery dies? What if you sit on it and crack it? What if what if what if, etc. Here. Take this map. Do it for me, please. He did, bless his heart, and he made the trip ok (one call for towing and another call for a failed ignition switch/steering column repair). I don't remember getting a call about being lost though.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #907
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

http://www.google.com/

Try this one....it's animated
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #908
infinite monkey

It's still that same image. Can you copy it and paste it?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #909
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It is? when I click on it it goes to the animated google thingy.

I have google chrome. do you have that?

—James Barrie

Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #910
infinite monkey

Oh...that's probably it.

I'm using IE.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #911
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

that's it, then. I tried my best and you know damn well I have no idea how to post things. When I DO manage to get something posted it's sheer luck and I can't remember how I did it.

Yes, my children laugh at me.

—James Barrie

Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #912
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It works fine in IE-9.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #913
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
that's it, then. I tried my best and you know damn well I have no idea how to post things. When I DO manage to get something posted it's sheer luck and I can't remember how I did it.

Yes, my children laugh at me.
left click
save picture as...
save to desktop
come back
manage attachments
browse
browse to desktop
click on picture
upload
close attachment window

Voila!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #914
infinite monkey

They gave us a firefox or whatever link too...I can do it in there.

Cool.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #915
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
A student was in T's office and I told E: I think it's really nice of Scatman Crothers to stop in to talk to T for a while. (He sounded like him.)

Blank look. Well, she's young.

Then M (aka self-proclaimed end-all be-all expert on all things pop culture) comes along. He'll get it.

Blank look.

WHAAAAAAA? Hong Kong Phooey? The Shining? Twilight Zone: The Movie? Chico and the freaking MAN?

Sigh. Youngsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D403c...38AD03BF347AA3
My friend's cow orkers (several) didn't know the meaning of the phrase "as the crow flies".