The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 06-11-2005, 05:22 AM   #151
Griff
still says videotape

c. well almost. We don't shut down in the summer because our kids would lose too much ground. The data is inputed weekly but every five weeks or so we meet and look at the graphs, talk about any problems we see in each childs program, address behavioral issues etc... but with a crushingly intelligent administator present who can bring fresh eyes to the situation.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:31 AM   #152
breakingnews
Q_Q

Arrrrgggghhh ... bad day at the races this morning. Full field (50 riders) in the cat 5 race at Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Probably a half-dozen really inexperienced racers swerving all over the road; one caused a small pile-up pretty early in the race (halfway through first lap).

But on the final lap, it came time for breakingnews to pull an extremely amateur move and try to jockey his way along the outside of the pack into sprinting position, only he misjudged the finish line and did it about a half-mile too soon.

I was pulling around 32 mph when I see the rider in front of me cut back into the pack - only to discover that he was avoiding a triangular median jutting out onto the road way (a "right turn" median from an entrance onto the park road). I managed to get my front wheel up and over the curb, but my back wheel slammed into the median and exploded. I jumped another curb and, fortunately, there was a clearing in the woods and I just kinda cruised until I slowed down. Really, really fucking stupid move, but oh well.

At least I didn't go down - there were at least three other crashes today, one involving a guy on a unicycle who cut right on the park road without noticing the 50 riders barreling down the street. He took down 6 racers, one of which completely shredded his shorts. I think each of the four races going on today had at least one crash apiece.

But before that, pack averaged 24.5 mph, and I maxed at 43 mph! Fucking fast.

I guess I will be buying a new rear wheel.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #153
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Ouch. Sorry for your loss. But did you at least have fun doing it? I've been known to say "Holy crap........WHEEEEE!" While flying off various wheeled apparati.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #154
breakingnews
Q_Q

I had a fantastic time, much better race than I expected, despite it the gun going off at 6:45 am.

Oh, I got a new camera, too. Totally loving the thing.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #155
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Yeah - those are some good pix.
Well at least you have the rest of the day to nurse your injuries, or to buy a new wheel.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:53 AM   #156
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Sorry to hear about the mishap, that sucks. But great pictures...whad'cha get?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #157
breakingnews
Q_Q

I got me a Nikon 8800. I've been debating between an SLR or an advanced P&S, but then I realized that I just couldn't justify spending all the $$$ on SLR and lenses, more or less for recreational use. Got a great deal on the 8800, and there's a Nikon summer rebate too.

It works beautifully - once you actually figure out how to use the thing. Major learning curve - took me almost 150 shots before stuff started coming out remotely close to how I wanted it.

Otherwise, it's built like an SLR, fully programmable with plenty of functions. The nikkor lens is great, but a little slow to focus beyond, say, 150-200mm. Sadly, many of the "cons" that were posted to dpreview.com are VERY prevalent with the 8800 - but with a little tinkering, I've been able to work around some of the shortcomings.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:32 PM   #158
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That little dent means buy a new wheel? Don't they have vice-grips where you live? Is is still circular? Sheesh.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #159
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That little dent means buy a new wheel? Don't they have vice-grips where you live? Is it still circular? Sheesh.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:44 PM   #160
breakingnews
Q_Q

Come again?

Bike shop is doing its best to fix the wheel, but it's now a training wheel from here on out. Ordinary riding is fine, but for racing, it's too dangerous.

- No way they could make the rim wall (braking surface) level again, which could lead to braking problems
- It's already 6 years old, with some 8,000 miles, and the bump likely caused more spoke problems than I already have (3 loose spokes)
- If the clincher edge isn't straight, lateral pressure could pull the tire off the rim

It's probably fine, but I don't wanna take chances. Just gonna order a new rear wheel, which is only $125 with Ultegra 9-speed hub.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #161
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Sounds like you definitely got your money's worth. Choose a safe path.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #162
Griff
still says videotape

Could've sworn I congratulated you on not being very dead following your mishap. Man that must have been hairy!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #163
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Just bought a 12 speed 23" Raleigh technium. Used. ($100)

The rear wheel had a broken axle, and it was a Campagnolo freewheel, so I replaced that ($140), plus chain, and moved up to 2x7.

The brakes and limit screws need some fiddling, but it looks to be a significant improvement over my old Mongoose mtb with bent handlebars and hanger.

(The photo's from the craigslist posting that I bought the bike from; I've since put pedals on.)
Attached Images

Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #164
Griff
still says videotape

How's she treating you, Skunks?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:55 AM   #165
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

I learned last night that the bottom bracket on a racing frame is a lot lower than on a mountain bike.

I'd discovered before that that cornering was a lot different (I think it's the difference between 700c and 26" rims), so I was playing around with turning sharper. I went down a gentle hill, made a left turn pretty sharp, leaning into it a lot. Inside pedal hit the pavement, and (I gather) bounced me up. Came down again on the rear wheel, bent it pretty severely, flew a few feet, landed relatively gracefully (one small bruise, one small cut.)

So I'm hoping the guy who I bought the wheel from, a nice bike shop right around the corner from my house, will be able to do something about its odd shape. (From side to side it varies by about two inches, but I don't think there's any rim damage.)
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote