The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 07-11-2005, 01:06 PM   #166
breakingnews
Q_Q

Yesterday I rode the 20th annual North Jersey Cycling Classic, which was a pretty well-run event in Park Ridge, NJ, with about $10,000 in prize money.

It's a great track - 0.8 mile rectangle through downtown PR. Course starts with a <I>brutal</I> quarter-mile climb at 17%, then downhill into a sweeping, almost 180-degree turn through a four-lane intersection back into the finishing straight.

I would have loved to run the Pro-1-2 event for the $1,000 purse, but on the 3rd lap of my 8-lap race, I realized why I was not ready to do 25 laps with the top riders.

I got dropped by the lead group on the third climb, but held on to finish 9th and win myself some socks, gloves and other gear. I should be happy based on the fact that I even finished - I think less than half of the riders crossed the line.

But I made a huge mistake pussying out and letting myself trail off the back. No one was moving too fast - all I needed to do was stay with the leaders, but I got scared and backed down, basically gearing up for a solid ass-whoopin'. Talk about a brutal day. Will post photos when I get a chance.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #167
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Wow BN that's cool. You must be in good shape.

We also did a bike ride over the weekend, but it was a family trip to the library two towns over ~4 miles each way.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #168
Griff
still says videotape

We did a road ride for our Sunday morning today. I'm simply not in shape. We did 35 miles at 19mph. I pulled a few times but the boys basically carried me. I was in that loopy place where your focus is just not there. I need to get cracking so I don't blow up on the MS ride. I can hide my fatness on the mountain bike but I was exposed today.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:54 PM   #169
warch
lurkin old school

I'm a piker compared to y'all here, but I just have to toot- I rode a 14 mile trail last weekend, and that's something for this old broad. We tried out the new car rack, and took the bikes out to a park trail. I rode my birthday present, a basic but wonderful hybrid trek bike. Its smooth! I'm loving it. More! More!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:52 AM   #170
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

piker?

Good for you! I'ts all about the fun, and it sounds like you had a lot of it!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #171
warch
lurkin old school

Piker-
must be a regional/ temporal phrase? or did I just make it up? = wannabe/novice/wimp
Old 07-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #172
breakingnews
Q_Q

Lance

... has all but completed what looks to be his final career trip into Paris this Sunday wearing yellow for an unprecedented seventh victory.

Armstrong sits almost three minutes ahead of his nearest competitor, Ivan Basso, and has left long-time archrival Jan Ullrich (5:58 back) fighting just to make it onto the podium this weekend. Tour victory margins range from 8 seconds to something like 30 minutes; Armstrong is sitting above the average mark.

At this point, a severe crash - one that would put Armstrong on the sidelines - is pretty much the only thing stopping him from achieving his seventh win.

Beyond the obvious, today marked another tremendous day for Team Discovery (formerly the U.S. Postal Service squad) when Italian Paolo Salvodelli outlasted 16 other men in a long breakaway to take Stage 17, his first Tour de France stage victory (I believe).

His win comes on the heels of George Hincapie's brilliant ride across several brutal alpine climbs last Sunday to win his first Tour stage in 10 years of riding the race. As a dedicated Postal domestique for seven of those years, Hincapie had never left Armstrong's side until this past weekend. Even then, his original plan was to go with the attacking group and fall back to help Lance on the day's final climbs. With about a quarter of the stage to go, Discovery director Johan Bruyneel told George to put the hammer down and ride his own race.

Salvodelli's and Hincapie's victories are big because the Discovery squad has come under sharp criticism for twice leaving Armstrong by himself on difficult mountain stages (8 and 14). The second time, Armstrong independently fended off three very strong T-Mobile riders - including Ullrich - who were all considered as top contenders for the yellow jersey and eventually busted apart the group in that usual, outlandish Texan fashion.

Are they to blame? Are they not doing their jobs? How did all 8 riders managed to fall off from the lead group? But after all, it is a race, and everyone on a team needs to learn what to do when the strategy breaks down. It happens, and rather often. Fortunately Lance kicks a huge amount of ass and stepped up to every challenge that was posed those two days.

In my opinion, these two stage victories - unprecedented moves for the team during the Lance era - proves that Salvo and Hincapie are, in fact, incredible riders, and shows that they are more than just Armstrong's servants. They know how to fight, jockey and grind their way to a mountaintop finish. The team might have slipped once or twice over the past three weeks, but what makes a great squad is its remarkable leader, who picked up the pieces and carried the flag home anyway.

In short, if Lance keeps his yellow through Sunday, there's no reason to think anything but that Team Discovery is the best effin' group of riders in the world.

Last edited by breakingnews; 07-20-2005 at 12:25 PM.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #173
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

It has been so sweet to get a free trip to France through some incredible coutryside watching the Tour.
And I am so proud of Discovery's captain for giving Hincapie that well earned stage - especially since it didn't hinder Lance's chances. (yeah, in Frances, in his pantses, do a little dances, etc.)
What wast he name of the place on the top of the mesa? Looked like something out of some fairy tale. I could visit. Just hope there isn't a fire, with that sole evacuation route.
Don't usually watch televised sports but wow, what a journey.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #174
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
We tried out the new car rack,
anyone have recommendations for racks -- Yakima vs. Thule... vs. ? roof vs. hitch? My new bike is a Trek 7700 hybrid.

...and yes! loving the Tour de Lan... I mean France! All the classic sights in 3 weeks.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:43 PM   #175
warch
lurkin old school

We got a little Yakima mighty joe rack that clamps on our nissan trunk, rest on the bumper/liscense plate. Has carriages for 2 bikes and strong rubbery button straps. Easy to take on/ off. We like it.

My bike's a trek 7100, hubby got the 7300, we're like a freakin commercial riding around. Meeting lots of other trek owners.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:28 AM   #176
LabRat

sheesh, give a person a chance to answer...
Old 07-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #177
Griff
still says videotape

Petes got Yakima tray racks on the roof of her Subaru. One is a tube clamp and the other holds the crank arm. The crank clamp is pretty universal in case you buy a bike with an atypical frame. If you've got a bad back or shoulders you might resent the lifting. I prefer the roof mount because the bikes are more secure and safer from the general public. If you have a garage and tend to be forgetful a roof rack is a terrible idea.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #178
LabRat

excuse me, i thought that 174 and 175 were by the same person, my bad. carry on... I have no opinion on the racks, I just take the front wheel off my bikes and they fit in the backseat longways. I put a towel on the hump part to keep grease off the carpet. Yes, I am anal, why do you ask?
Old 07-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #179
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
We got a little Yakima mighty joe rack that clamps on our nissan trunk, rest on the bumper/liscense plate.
That has the advantage of covering up the overdue registration sticker.

We're starting the search for Pete's next bike. My Trek 520 is pretty heavy but a good reliable ride. She's thinking something more light tour. There are getting to be more cyclo-cross bikes out there. The Jamis Nova might work...we've just started.

I did 3 hours on the road today. I felt sluggish starting out but hammered home.

Ulrich tried today but Lance beat him back.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:42 PM   #180
russotto
Professor

Did the Perkiomen Trail this weekend, Collegeville to the dilapidated bridge which would, if it were open, lead into a junkyard in Green Lane Borough. There's enough lumber and beams nearby to make me think there were plans to put new decking on the bridge and continue the trail through there, but that stuff was there last year too.

As for the rack, it's a Saris Bones, about the only thing that'll fit on a Miata without welding a hitch on. But the Perkiomen Trail I can do from home.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote