The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 04-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #256
Griff
still says videotape

I live in one of the rainiest places in the US but the UK rain has got to be tougher. Occasionally, I like to bring the bike in on the roof rack, ride home, and then ride back in the next day. Sometimes doing 18 miles of our hills on both ends of a day at my job can be a little much. I can also leave fresh clothes in the car so I don't have to haul anything.

I guess this is the proper spelling of wuss, g r i f f
Old 04-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #257
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot serpent
Looks like the same tires err, tyres... So far *desperately looks for wood to touch* no flats over very many miles! The Kevlar belts in these are very tough. I hit a piece of plastic the other day that had 2 spikes thru it. The thing was well embedded into the tyre and I thought for sure that this was going to be the first patch job. I pulled it out and nothing happened.
It was questionnable whether they were the same tyres or not, but the question has now been answered - merrily riding home from work on Wednesday, all properly asphalted roads, and suddenly I'm running on rims.

Have no idea what caused it but still managed to get a puncture....
Old 04-20-2006, 04:27 AM   #258
NZLcyclist
n00bl3+

im suprised to see such a large following of cyclists... either that or just alot of shit talking amongst the few that are here!

Just saying hi.
NZLcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:31 AM   #259
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLcyclist
im suprised to see such a large following of cyclists... either that or just alot of shit talking amongst the few that are here!

Just saying hi.
It's no good trying to sweet talk your way into our conversations you know.

I hear NZ is pretty good for cycling - what's it like in Hamilton - near Auckland in the North Island, isn't it? Post us some photos if you have some.

For myself I cycle to keep enjoyably fit - you can have a look at my websites via the profile link for more info. Don't claim to be the most knowledgeable of cyclist and if you start talking gear ratios and technical jargon you'll lose me within seconds! Just pass on what I discover for myself as I learn mainly from personal experience.

Hi back BTW...
Old 04-20-2006, 05:37 AM   #260
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Yesterday was a beautiful, sunny day. This is my favorite time of the year: warm & sunny & girls taking their clothes off for no other reason than those two.

I think it's about time I take off my fender.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:41 AM   #261
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Just saw what a young whipper-snapper you are. So guess anything an old fart like me says will come out sounding like shit! That aside, still pleased to hear further from you. BTW not much on yr website - I thought students had loads of time on their hands.....??
Old 04-20-2006, 05:42 AM   #262
Griff
still says videotape

Ah, one more shit talker. I believe we are now a movement. Welcome to the greasey bike corner of the cellar.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #263
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Yes, welcome to The Cellar NZLcyclist! I've done a bit of riding last year on the South Island (around Nelson towards Moteuka) -- great place for bikes.

[Dieter voice]Dis is zee part of Shprockets ven vee danze![/Dieter voice]
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 AM   #264
NZLcyclist
n00bl3+

Here are some pics on my ride on New Years day... did about 75km that day and got royally burnt.

http://cyclepics.fixed.net.nz/

These are in the Franklin District to the West of Pukekohe - a town that is south west of Auckland.

I will endeavour to take more pics in time to come!

Brendon
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #265
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Nice bike, Brendon - it looks expensive but bet it rides well. Also like the lack of traffic in your pics - wish it was the same around here (one of the main reasons why I take my cycling hols in France - to get a bit of peace and quiet when cycling on the roads)
Old 04-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #266
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

very nice pix Brendon! Now I want to go back a do some riding on the wron... oops, I mean lefthand side of the road. It does take some getting used to but with so little traffic, not very long.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 AM   #267
NZLcyclist
n00bl3+

That bike is now almost finished in it's rebuild as a Time Trial rig... now have a nice SCOTT road bike will take my camera out again at some point and get some photos of a different area.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #268
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLcyclist
That bike is now almost finished in it's rebuild as a Time Trial rig... now have a nice SCOTT road bike will take my camera out again at some point and get some photos of a different area.
Looks like your a bit of a devotee to the sport, Brendon. Are you riding as a professional or is this for pleasure only? Something tells me my max 50 miles a day when touring is going to look a little miniscule when I hear more about your exploits.

My maximum day has been 65 miles for a charity run from the outskirts of London (Hampton Court) to the coast (Hove), which I just about manage as it's towrds the end of the summer by which time I can handle the distance. Having said that I'm contemplating a two-day charity ride this year involving a cycle to the coast day 1 (60 miles) followed by a trip by ferry across to Dieppe in France for 100 miles on day 2. I think that will be my 2006 swan-song if I do it!

Had a short 25 miles yesterday around the Chiltern hills north of London. Just a couple of hours in the morning followed by an exceptional lunch. I'm afraid that's my formula for biking these days - cycle to make room for food so that eating doesn't involve a weight increase!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #269
glatt

Don't know where this belongs, but I just saw the weirdest contraption at lunch today. It was some kind of bike, being ridden by four or five people. They sat around it facing each other and all of them were pedalling. The damn thing was always about a block away from me as I was walking on the sidewalk, so I never got a close look. It almost looked like a bunch of people sitting around a small table, riding down the street. The two people on the sides were facing in from the side, so they had to turn their heads to look in the direction they were travelling. Then the two people in back were facing forward. It wasn't very fast. Looked kind of awkward to pedal. They were pedalling like crazy, but it was always just slightly ahead of me. So it travelled at about a joggers speed.

Crazy. Have any of you heard of such a thing? It looked like a professionally manufactured thing, not like something thrown together by someone in a garage. Very strange. I wish I got a closer look.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #270
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I've seen pictures. I think ther's some sort of corporate "team building" scam that uses them.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote