The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 07-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #331
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Nice! Keep em out of the sun and you won't look like you had your tatts removed. The shoulder one is perfect placement.

Speedy recovery.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:21 AM   #332
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I have mentioned RAGBRAI earlier in this thread, but bring it up again because it is goin gon this week. The highlight though, is that Lance Armstrong is riding today and I think tomorrow. He was quoted yesterday as saying that he would dip both his back and front tires next year. IOW he would ride the whole week. If you ever considered doing this, now is the time to plan. I mean, seriously, a chance to meet and possibly RIDE with Lance Armstrong? How cool would that be. I'll post actual links to info when I have a chance to find them.

Hope that wrist is doing well, Griff.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #333
LabRat

Lance Stops for a Beer
By John Campbell, TV9 Sports

LAMBS GROVE - The centerpiece of this year's RAGBRAI ride was the center of attention mid-afternoon in Lambs Grove, a small community just west of Newton.

Lance Armstrong stopped to have a beer on Phyllis Franzen's front yard.

"I was going up the hill, breathing really hard, and this whole group comes up talking and whizzing by me, in Livestrong jerseys, and I said, that has to be him," said Kristi Kiefer of Des Moines. "I came down the hill and stopped right here. They were stopped. He got off his bike, went and sat in a lawn chair, had a beer!"

Riders couldn't get enough of him -- exchanging small talk, welcoming him to the ride, posing for pictures.

"It was phenomonal! we sat out here all day watching for him, and had just about given up when they announced that he was coming and he wanted to stop at my house," Franzen said.

VIDEO
Old 07-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #334
Griff
still says videotape

Pretty cool. How come I get no love when I drink on strangers lawns?

The cast is off as of yesterday. It is very stiff and my fingers are weak but I'm stretching it out. Things are looking up. Pete drove by the bike shop we use yesterday. The mechanic was out front...with his arm in a cast.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:37 PM   #335
warch
lurkin old school

Trendsetter. : )
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:53 AM   #336
glatt

My 7 year old has been riding around on basketball courts, etc. for a couple of years. She likes riding her bike, but the roads around here are so busy, we've always kept her to the empty basketball courts.

Well, last weekend, my wife took my son to a birthday party for a couple of hours, and I figured it was the perfect time for me to introduce my daughter to the bike paths of Arlington county. I was a little nervous, because about a third of the people who use the paths are very serious riders who go fast. My daughter, weaving on her wobbly bike would have to really focus to stay safe.

So we had a little talk about how we were going to ride single file, with her in front setting the pace, and how she had to stay on the right side of the yellow line painted down the center of the path. She started off kind of nervous, but then soon gained some confidence. We rode by some of the playgrounds that were near our house, and then started going a little farther. At on intersection, I offered her the choice of heading home or continuing to explore. She very enthusiastically wanted to press on. So we kept going. After about an hour, we came upon a really cool playground that is clear across town. She couldn't believe that we had ridden our bikes that far. It normally takes 20 minutes in the car to get there. I could almost see the wheels turning in her head as she realized that her bike was a serious form of transportation. We pressed on even farther.

After about an hour and a half of leisurly riding, the plastic chain guard on the crappy kid's bike I was riding snapped, and my bike started making annoying sounds. So we turned around and headed home on a much faster trail. She had to really focus on this one, because there was a lot of bike traffic and most of it was going fast. Only once did we have a near collision, and that was when we went over a narrow foot/bike bridge, and she looked at the stream below as we went over. She swerved into the oncoming lane just as a racing bike was coming up fast. The other guy screeched to a stop just as I was yelling to my daughter to watch where she was going. The guy was a little miffed, but he didn't say anything, just shook his head and went on his way as I apologized. I think she learned from that incident.

After we got home, I got out GoogleEarth and mapped out our route. We went 6.8 miles round trip. I was pretty impressed that she went that far without any trouble. We'll have to do this alot more often, and I'll have to tune up my ten speed buried under a pile of junk in the basement.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #337
Griff
still says videotape

That's awesome Glatt. Pete was a kid who used her bike to go places on her own. I dunno if its more or less safe today?
Old 07-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #338
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
I dunno if its more or less safe today?
Beats me. I think I'll wait a year or two before letting her take off on her own. But the trails keep her out of most of the traffic. We're lucky we live 2 blocks from an entrance to the trails.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:49 PM   #339
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

That is a great story glatt. Her horizons are expanding.

I remember biking with a friend when I was a wee bit older and we got to the "lifesaver" building in Portchester, NY. I had no idea how far we had gone, nor where we were. It was quite a few towns away, all on US 1.

Things weren't so safe back then. Another time my friend and I rode in theother direction into parts unknown and were in the process of having our bikes stolen from us when the perps's social worker pulled up and intervened.

We hightailed it out of there and stuck closer to home after that.

Not meaing to frighten the passengers, but it's a good thing you're dusting off your ten speed Glatt.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:06 AM   #340
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
Lance Stops for a Beer
By John Campbell, TV9 Sports

LAMBS GROVE - The centerpiece of this year's RAGBRAI ride was the center of attention mid-afternoon in Lambs Grove, a small community just west of Newton.

Lance Armstrong stopped to have a beer on Phyllis Franzen's front yard.

"I was going up the hill, breathing really hard, and this whole group comes up talking and whizzing by me, in Livestrong jerseys, and I said, that has to be him," said Kristi Kiefer of Des Moines. "I came down the hill and stopped right here. They were stopped. He got off his bike, went and sat in a lawn chair, had a beer!"

Riders couldn't get enough of him -- exchanging small talk, welcoming him to the ride, posing for pictures.

"It was phenomonal! we sat out here all day watching for him, and had just about given up when they announced that he was coming and he wanted to stop at my house," Franzen said.

VIDEO
Great story, superb video, memorable experience - next time he drops by could you be so kind as to let him know that there's a nice cup of tea and a comfortable chair waiting for him at Cedars Lodge, Headley, Surrey, UK...?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #341
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Not that I would buy one, but I was strangely drawn to this bike-trailer ensemble...

The video's worth a look!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 AM   #342
Griff
still says videotape

That design is much more elegant than the bob, although capacity is more limited.

Last edited by Griff; 08-07-2006 at 06:29 AM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #343
LabRat

glatt-

Awesome!! I can't imagine how far I rode my bike every summer as a kid. Pretty much that's all I ever did! There weren't any bike trails in my neighborhood growing up (still aren't), but that town is adding them slowly and surely.

Where we currently live there is a small trail not too far from my house. From the driveway to the end of it and back is a tad over 6 miles if you go directly to and from. There are however bike lanes painted on some of the roads, which is basically a white line painted about 2.5 feet from the curb. This is nice because the sidewalks are a pain to ride on with the Burley. Poor kid gets whiplash up and down the street crossings. Plus there aren't shocks on that thing to cushion all the bumps from cracks. (We live in an 'established' neighborhood.) I can't wait till she is big enough to ride on her own. I fondly remember going on bike rides with my parents, with my little brother in the seat behind my mom.

A bike is a kid's first taste of independance.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #344
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Anyone remember/come across these? - I hold a memory of seeing a rather attractive Parisienne hopping side-saddle mode aboard one when I was a lad visiting Paris, and then putt-putting off into the traffic and side streets of the city....
Old 08-13-2006, 07:49 PM   #345
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Ahh, attractive parisians, yes. The bicycle, no. But I did own two different rod brake raleighs. Three speeds. Oh I miss my three speeds.
Attached Images