Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #421
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
... they provided a complete kit for each of us (having inquired about sizes beforehand), with boots, overalls, belt, radio, small self-contained self-rescuer, goggles, hard hat with ear muffs, and headlamp. ...
No canary?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #422
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

No canary. I guess we were the canaries ...
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #423
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I ask, do we NEED these young men to die horrible deaths at 40, suffocating because their lungs can no longer transfer oxygen to their blood?
Not all of them do, you don't have contact with the others so that's what you see. What percent succumb to your worst case scenario and why them and not others. Was it because they weren't supplied or couldn't be bothered to use safety equipment?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #424
glatt

It's the same question for the football players. They both voluntarily destroy their bodies for us in exchange for good pay. I didn't realize miners were paid that well. We've come a long way since the company towns would turn them into virtual indentured servants.

I wouldn't do either job, and wouldn't want my kid doing either job.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #425
Griff
still says videotape

I wouldn't want that gig. You mentioned poultry production at the beginning and I might place that below coal mining, unless done in the Joel Salatin manner. A friend of mine in environmental testing went to a kosher chicken plant where everything seemed to be done well. He was super careful the whole time but the guys working there were very into the big physical handshakes. He ended up hospitalized with a campylobacter infection.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #426
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
What percent succumb to your worst case scenario and why them and not others. Was it because they weren't supplied or couldn't be bothered to use safety equipment?
Black lung dropped from about 11% of miners to 3.3% in the late 1990s, but by 2009 had risen again to 9% in some areas (eastern Kentucky, southern West Virginia, western Virginia, in a geographical area now known as the 'hot spot'). After each recent disaster (Sago, Utah, Big Branch) more safety equipment and regulations have been added. MSHA is required to inspect every mine in the country, and does.

Nevertheless, the industry doesn't have a 'safety first' culture, although the supervisors at the mine I toured stressed it. Still, things could have been better. No miner is going to complain too loudly when it means losing his job. Mine owners aren't overly concerned about safety relative to production because black lung benefits are largely tax-funded at the state and federal levels. That said, the rules are crazy enough that quite a few are denied on technicalities.

It's strenuous, dangerous work. Disasters still happen not infrequently and miners die horrible deaths. Between that and black lung, it's a high price in human lives.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #427
glatt

Thanks for the long write-up orthodox, it was really interesting
Old 11-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #428
glatt

I'm a tad apprehensive because I just bought a tenor saxophone off eBay. I know it's a bit beat up, but I hope it's playable.

I'm tired of paying $30-40 a month to rent a nice new one from the music store and I'm hoping this $200 one will work out just fine. It's for my son, and he knows it's all beat up and scratched and stuff, and he's fine with that. But it better be playable.

At least it's cheap enough that I can replace a bunch of pads and still be ahead. And it's a good model for a middle school kid like him.

New saxophones are ridiculously expensive.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #429
glatt

I know you all have been on pins and needles waiting to see how it turned out, but the sax got here yesterday. I can't play, but my son played it and said it functions perfectly. It's 46 years old and quite scratched up and missing finish, but it sounds very good.

Perfect timing too, since we can return the rental on Saturday, which is the last day of the rental month.

This purchased sax will pay for itself in 6-7 months of no rental fees.
Cutting out a $30 monthly expense is a good thing.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #430
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

With a well maintained musical instrument of reasonable quality originally age doesn't matter. The consumables are easily and cheaply replaced. I wish your son much musical joy!

Sent by thought transference
Old 12-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #431
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Probably less likely to get stolen, also.
I agree with limey, glatt. You're giving the kid a fantastic gift.
Even if he graduates and never plays again, you'll have given him the ability to understand how music is constructed, how it's created, and enjoy the nuances. Good on you.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #432
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

And will give him instant cred if he decides to play jazz.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #433
Griff
still says videotape

Yep, Coolest kid in the horn section!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #434
orthodoc

Ultrasound and labs tomorrow. I've been having left-sided symptoms. Probably nothing, and it's time for a follow-up anyway. I just wish someone close to me was tuned in, had taken notice somehow.

Whatever. What will be, will be. If it's too much to bear I'll just help things along.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #435
glatt

Good luck.

Tags
philadelphia cream