The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-09-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Red face 'You Are Nobody!' Is Slander

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...t&section=news

ROME (Reuters) - A driver who told a parking attendant "You are nobody!" has felt the weight of Italy's legal system, which ruled the seemingly innocuous words constituted slander -- and fined him heavily.

The tiff over a parking space led to Giulio C. being fined 300 euros ($370) plus 500 euros legal costs when a court in the northeast city of Trieste turned down his appeal.

The court ruled the phrase 'you are nobody' "means precisely 'you are a nonentity' and to state that a person is a nonentity is certainly offensive because it is damaging to the dignity of a person."

The decision led celebrated Corriere della Sera commentator Beppe Severgnini to recall in his column on Friday that this was not the first time Italian appeal courts had deliberated on the definition of slander.

Indeed, over the years a sort of "guide to legitimate offence" has been formulated and Severgnini, quoting the courts, gave a few of the more common examples.

"Ball-breaker" is not slander because although "an undoubtedly rude expression it is now in common usage."

"I'll kick your arse" also passes muster because this is a "robust reaction which should be understood in a figurative way."

Under Italian law, the crime of slander is punishable by a maximum fine of 516 euros.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
jaguar
whig

What happens if you call someone an asshole? I'd just be funny to see a legal arguement that the person described does not accurately resemble an asshole.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I guess Giulio C. would have been better off just sticking the guy with a stiletto, old school style.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
irma
Lead Subordinate

Trust lawyers to argue any stupidity...
irma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma
Trust lawyers to argue any stupidity...
and at 4:15 the baby said- i'm ok, then at 5:30 the baby said - i'm in trouble...

paraphrasing VP Candidate J. Edwards channeling the unborn child who ended with brain damage. big $$$ paid out on that case.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

[quote=ladysycamore]

"I'll kick your arse" also passes muster because this is a "robust reaction which should be understood in a figurative way."
QUOTE]

In the US, that might be considered fighting words because of the violent overtone, whether the threat was definite or not.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #7
busterb
NSABFD

I suppose Bite me has gone by the wayside also?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:59 PM   #8
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Well, insulting someone I can understand being considered slander. What about -

"HEY BABY! EVER HAVE YOUR ASSHOLE LICKED BY A FAT MAN IN AN OVERCOAT?"

What would that be?
A dinner invite?
A marrage proposal?
Any ideas?

Jay and Silent Bob will return...

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 12:36 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost

"HEY BABY! EVER HAVE YOUR ASSHOLE LICKED BY A FAT MAN IN AN OVERCOAT?"

What would that be?
It appears that would very simply be an inquiry.

No implication is made by the asking whether the act has occured.

"You have had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat," were such statement untrue, would be slander (if spoken. libel if printed).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 06:42 PM   #10
russotto
Professor

In context...

"You are nobody" is pretty much true, to any reasonable approximation. Unless you're Zaphod Beeblebrox, anyway.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:59 AM   #11
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Would it have been the same if the driver told the attendant "You do not exist!" and ignored the attendant for the duration of the encounter?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote