Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Scotties are hypoallergenic, are they not?
Not really, I don't think. They are however double coated (like many terriers) so won't moult as much as other dogs.

*correction - apparently they are considered hypoallergenic due to low level of shedding and dander.

Not all low shedding dogs are hypo allergenic though.

Poodles are particularly considered hypoallergenic due to the low shedding, low levels of dander and low presence of allergens in their salivaa (iirc)
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #17
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Dogs rock, for the most part.

Again, I'll repeat my "Facts for Pet Owners":

Dogs bark for no reason, at 3 am. Cats puke, where you put your bare feet.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #18
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Cats puke, where you put your bare feet.
spot on. this is the reason my morning routine involves not putting my socks on until I'm downstairs ready to put my shoes on. Too many trips back upstairs for another pair.....
Old 11-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's done. We get her on Monday. She's abso-fucking-lutely perfect for us and I adore her--which I say as someone who has never felt an emotional connection to a dog before. I will post pictures, I promise.

And now, I will spend the rest of the weekend trying to convince the kids to let me name her Freya.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #20
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Simple , just tell them thats her name , stick to it , yer de Momz !!!
( thats getting them a dorg )
Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #21
Clodfobble

Well, that or "Imelda Barkos."
Old 11-16-2017, 11:41 PM   #22
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

A dog named for the goddess of cats. That's ... different.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:56 AM   #23
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

What breed? How old? Where from?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #24
Clodfobble

Half chihuahua, half... something. Maybe corgi. She looks like a regular tiny chihuahua but with golden retriever ears and fur. Her brother (who we didn't take) looks like 100% chihuahua, except corgi-sized, about twice as big as she is.

They're roughly two years old, abandoned together at the animal shelter from an abusive environment of some sort. Brother seems to have come out of it okay; he marks his territory and is protective in a yappy way, but is generally playful and going to be fine. Sister--the one we've adopted--is an anxiety-ridden mess. She shook for hours when her foster mom first took her out of the shelter, and still does so whenever she meets someone new. Took her about 20 minutes to stop shaking with me when I went to visit, but by the end of it she was cuddling and licking my hand for more belly rubs. Foster mom says she's never heard her bark, and she's generally very low energy and just wants to be held and snuggled all the time. I was concerned about splitting her from the brother, but the foster mom said actually they do better apart; the brother was a playful bully and ran roughshod over her all day long.

The reason I'm sure her previous home was abusive and not just neglectful is that when I came back a second time with the kids, she bolted to the corner of her pen, growled, and peed herself all at once. I feel sure she belonged to a family that let the kids do whatever they wanted to her. But mine are very gentle and certainly understand what anxiety feels like, so with gentle coaxing and patience she eventually came around to them as well. She desperately wants kindness and isn't permanently jaded.

The only thing I'm worried about is that in about a month she has to go back to the shelter to get spayed. The procedure is a requirement of the adoption, and the shelter pays for it, but the foster mom warned me that she's going to freak the fuck out when she sees the shelter again. Once I actually have her in my possession, I'm going to negotiate with them about having it done at our vet instead, just to keep her away from that place. Technically I could just say "fuck you" and not show up for it--I would lose a $100 deposit/bail money that's supposed to ensure that doesn't happen, which I can live with, but the shelter would also probably blacklist me from future adoptions. So I need to get them on board and provide proof it really happened and all that.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #25
Clodfobble

Here she is being happy at her foster mom's house. You can see her brother's gigantic paw next to her. This is immediately after being groomed; her fur is much thicker now after a few weeks.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #26
Clodfobble

Two more names up for contention, courtesy of my daughter and my husband, respectively:

J.K. Howling
Ginny ('cause she's a little weasly.)
Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #27
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

First dog's name was Sadie.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #28
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Here she is being happy at her foster mom's house. You can see her brother's gigantic paw next to her. This is immediately after being groomed; her fur is much thicker now after a few weeks.

Suh-weet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #29
monster
I hear them call the tide

I have a cousin named Freya. Somewhere. I really like the name but....

I like the fun names.

Ginny is awesome because of the provenance and you won't need to find an abbreviation. But Imelda and JK are good too
Old 11-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #30
Griff
still says videotape

Too cute!