The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 03-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Proud Parent Brag Time

My 9yo daughter Hebe just came back from her first Academic Games State Championships...

...and she came back a champion.

There are several games, at several levels, but the biggie is Basic Equations, and her team won. (They placed top 3 in most things) Each school team is split into mini teams of 5 to play, and the final ended up being three of our 6 mini-teams including hers. (About 150 mini-teams started.) They played, but that was just for fun as the whole team wins when a mini team wins. In fact all the kids win, it's a good thing. We nearly didn't send her (it's not cheap and competitive math us just so... weird.... especially as we send our kids to a school which educates in a non-competitive non-graded environment! ), but sending her again next year is almost a cert -her math has improved no end, her socials skills and confidence have gone through the roof. She rocks.

/note on the bizarre: -our team is a joint team of two schools -one is the most competitive, academic-score-oriented school in the district, filled with U of Mich professors' children, and the other is the hippy alternative school -also with it's fair share of U of M professors' children, alongside other society rebels. The team coach is a teacher at the first school and parent the second. The kids got on great together, and were academically well matched. The two sets of parents didn't understand one another in any way, shape or form!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Cloud

Basic equations? 2+2 is about as advanced as I get on those. Congratulations to your daughter!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Good job! She's embarking on a long, strange pathway though. Those math contests are a world of their own.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
monster

Thanks, both.

Are long strange pathways a bad thing?

she's also a swim and soccer jock, so there may be salvation in view! Swim championships are tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Go little monster! Math competition?

especially as we send our kids to a school which educates in a non-competitive non-graded environment! Cool school.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

How'd the swimming go?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
monster

Good thanks. But gruelling. Just recovering! Hebe aged up (i.e. moved up to the next age category, so she swam in the afternoon and the boys in the morning, so I was there all day -Beest performed child-changeover taxi duty).

All of them dropped loads of time (swam faster than their previous bests) and we got there to find that Hebe was seeded 18th out of 81 in the breaststroke! That's amazing given that she's one of the youngest in the two-year (9-10) age group. She came in 18th too. Hector got 12th (out of 23) in his IM, which is in the points (top 16) and he still has a year to go in his age group. Thor managed not to need to go to the bathroom right as the starter was giving them orders on the blocks! He dropped an incredible 20 seconds off his breast-stroke time, -from 1:26 to 1:04. He was DQd on a technicality, but who cares? they all did great.

I, on the other hand, am dead. In the morning, I was a time-writer -easy-peasy, sit at the poolside, check the pad time against the manual times, declare the official time. In the afternoon, I was a marshall -getting the kids from the staging area to the blocks. OMFG! No-one warned me about the size of the 9-10 meet. It took over 4 hours and many people congratulated me on the marshalling saying it was the fasted championship meet they'd been to for a while. The Fastest? At the end, I squatted down to get a drink out of my bag, and I could barely get back up. My legs were killing me when I got home, so out of curiosity/nerd-dom I worked out how far I probably walked (I was on my feet the whole time). 7 miles! in flip-flops! And yes, I have blisters too. thank goodness they were decent flip flops with a little shaping.

Any competitions for you this weekend? (it's crazy this sports-parent lark, isn't it? I never competed in anything when I were a lass... living my life vicariously through my kids regards.... )
Old 03-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Sounds like Mom is more fried than the kids!

This weekend we only did the Odessey of the Mind thing on the other thread. No sports, which is good since lil'Pete has some nasty crud in her lungs. She's about to have some dental work done as well so I don't think we'll schedule anything until she's recovered from both. The kids are getting big enough to be fun, so we'll enjoy them now, eh?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
monster

hehe found this thread, it's like finding a pack of baby pics.....

so, to continue bragging.......

Thor (youngest) just became an academic games state champ a few months ago, Hebe (oldest) just scored a championship saving goal at water polo and hector is set to varsity as reserve goalie for hockey nest year (freshman) but is being actively recruited by the swim coach after his middle school meet results (
can't do both, same season...)

I found this thread because I was trying to find a bad parenting moment thread i started a while back.... I have a twofer to report....

but maybe I'll save them for when I find the right thread......
Old 05-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well? Spill it!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Meanwhile since we're wearing our braggy pants;

Lil Pete pulled a 4.0 2nd semester freshman year. They end each semester with a department exit interview. In the first semester she was told she was in the right program but that she needed to be a leader. In the 2nd semester she got a lot of love for her work, was told that she was a good influence on her peers, and had stepped up and lead. She was walking on air when she got to her dorm where her slacking roommate told her everyone got chewed out in their exit interviews.

Lil Griff knocked her SAT out of the park, was the only student musician for Les Mis, and got the SS department award for her work in AP US.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Wow! Congrats to Lil Pete and Lil Griff!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
glatt

What do you put in the water in Grifftopia? And can you bottle it?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Seriously -- sounds like y'all have a recipe for success at your house. Congrats to all these cool kids!
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
What do you put in the water in Grifftopia? And can you bottle it?
From what I've seen Glattlandia has a similar water supply. The kids know they're loved and have the freedom to work on whatever interests them. It ain't rocket surgery unless their interest is rocket surgery.