The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #76
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ha! Congrats to Li'l Griff. It's good to have a release system already in place when those first chaotic months of college start...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #77
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cool Griff, just far enough for her to soar, and close enough for you to feel available.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #78
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Just checked out the web site ... sounds like a great fit. And close enough geographically to keep her grounded, which is important. Congratulations!!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #79
Griff
still says videotape

thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #80
chrisinhouston
Professor

I got a call last Thursday from my 5 year old granddaughter sadly asking, "Grandpa, how come you never come see me anymore?" Well I had been by the house a few times in the week to see the older kids after they walked home from school and Emily is in daycare and doesn't get home until her parents pick her up at 6PM or so. I guess her siblings told her I had been there and she missed out.

So I told her I would do something special just with her on Friday and keep her with me instead of at daycare. The weather here in Texas was nice so I took her out west of Houston in search of those big fields of bluebonnets and other flowers. We got some pictures and headed home. On the way she lamented that she really wanted to be a Cowgirl some day (thanks to a recent trip to the Houston Rodeo) but she had no Cowgirl boots. So on Saturday we went out in search of the prefect outfit and found her some sure enough Cowgirl boots, belt and a hat, now all she needs is a rope.

I think she had a fun day and so did I even if the boots and belt set me back $90! Can that girl strike a pose or what?
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #81
glatt

I understand that it's a granparent's job to spoil them. Good work!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #82
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

She's beautiful, chris! Great pictures.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #83
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Did you train her to do the 3/4 pose? Or is modeling just naturally in her future?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #84
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'm not sure she's real.

Too cute.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #85
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Did you train her to do the 3/4 pose? Or is modeling just naturally in her future?
She actually does that pose on her own. She is quite a fun kid to be around, very smart and not overly precocious. She calls the 3/4 pose with her rear end pushed out her "hoochie coochie mama pose". Keep in mind that she is the youngest of 5 kids so she hears a lot from them.

I've got nothing to complain about, I am her favorite and I get big hugs and kisses when I come around, she likes to hold my hand when we go out for a walk. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts as she will one day be a teenager with little time for me.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #86
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

she's cute as a button, chris. looks like she's got a lot of personality too.

Spencer sent this via text this morning. He's really enjoying pottery. he even skips lunch to go back to the pottery shop.
This bowl is glazed using a Japanese technique called Raku.

Name:  raku bowl.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  56.3 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by the above linked ceramics today article
Raku is a pottery technique that has it's origins in 16th century Japan. We are pretty sure that it was developed by Korean potters under Japanese rule but the exact circumstances of it's development and in what context it was discovered is a mystery. The raku technique, like other pottery techniques such as salt glazing and pit firing, primarily revolves around it's firing process although involvement with raku often goes much deeper into its philosophy, roots, and cultural significance. Traditional raku and our western version of raku are similar in many ways though there are some significant differences.
To briefly describe the raku process we must understand that most all other types of pottery are loaded into a cold kiln where the firing proceeds slowly until the desired temperature is reached. This firing cycle may take anywhere from 8-24 hours or even longer. When the kiln has reached temperature (which is generally determined through the use of pyrometric cones), it is shut off and allowed to cool enough to be able to remove the ware using bare, or lightly gloved hands. The cooling cycle may last from 12-24 hours or longer. The ware is considered finished when it is taken from the kiln. In raku, the pieces may be loaded into a cold kiln but are often preheated and loaded into a hot kiln. The firing proceeds at a rapid pace with the wares reaching temperature in as short a cycle as 15-20 minutes (though raku firings can last up to several hours depending on the individual pieces and their firing requirements). Glaze maturity is judged by the trained eye without the use of cones or measuring devices. When the firing is determined to be completed the wares are immediately removed from the kiln. Since at this point the glaze is molten, tongs or other lifting devices are used.
This is the stage in the process where traditional and contemporary raku differ in technique and treatment. In our western version the wares are now treated to a 'post firing reduction' phase. The wares are put into a container with combustible material such as sawdust, or leaves and allowed to smoke for a predetermined length of time. The carbonaceous atmosphere reacts and affects the glazes and clay and imparts unique effects and surfaces to the wares. Some of these effects are metallic and crackled glazes surfaces and black unglazed clay. When the wares have cooled, they are washed with an abrasive cleaner to remove all residue of soot and ash.
unfortunately, it's not good for making things that you would use frequently.

Quote:
The traditional use of raku ware in the Japanese tea ceremony has contributed to confusion about the functional use of raku. With very few exceptions, all raku fired ware is fragile, porous, and generally unsuitable for functional use. Unless such fragile ware is treated post-firing with a non-glaze material, such as a polyurethane or acrylic sealer or an oil of some kind, the pots will sweat water and eventually breakdown. Treat raku as decorative. The occasional use of raku in a functional setting is OK but keep in mind that the glaze is soft and can be easily chipped and end up being ingested. If you must use your pots for food try to limit the use to dry food. The fragility of the ware also renders the reliability of handles and other appendages extremely questionable.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #87
glatt

That's cool. Good for Spencer!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #88
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Nice work, it's good to see the kids enthusiastic about school stuff.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #89
monster
I hear them call the tide

(you can clear glaze over Raku and refire to make pots everyday usable, but it's not without risk.)
Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #90
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nice, Jim, pass on our atta-boys.