The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Arrow

Ok...I realise it is pretty silly, but I am really enjoying Arrow.

Occasionally it's funny for all the wrong reasons (I can't watch the detective guy/father of the campaigning lawyer girl without laughing, especially when he gets really serious about something). The whole thing is way too simple in terms of good guys and bad guys ... but that's ok. Robin Hood and Superman both had that. And it's chock full of badly drawn 2 dimensional characters...

yet somehow it is thoroughly entertaining. I think they've successfully got a comic book feel to it. It feels a little old fashioned in some ways. A little like the stuff we used to watch in the 80s in terms of plot and storytelling. But with a modern edge to it. It's interesting seeing the notion of a Robin Hood type figure fighting for the little guy against overweaning corporate power and corruption surfacing again.

@ Sundae: John Barrowman enters the show as a recurring guest star from ep 5.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Yeah, watched up until I could work out who he was (identity-wise) then Dad remove dit from the sky+ schedule by mistake and I never bothered to put it back on. Sometime soon someone will come up with a comilation of the scenes he was in (like they did with Desperate Housewives). The story just didn't grip me, so I'll wait til then.

But thanks for thinking of me
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
DanaC

The first few episodes are mainly funny for all the wrong reasons, and the story seemed weak. Have to say though it started to find its feet around ep 6 or 7. There are still some amazingly funny cliches now and then, but mostly it's now funny for the right reasons and the meta story is starting to get quite intriguing.

I'm liking him more and more too. Wasn't sure about him at first but the further along the show gets the more confident it seems to be and him with it. It's starting to click a little now I think.

I'm properly addicted just as I get to the current episode. No more double bills at bedtime :P
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
DanaC

And in another bit of crossover Alex Kingston is joining the Arrow cast
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
DanaC

Well...it happened...I've run out of episodes.

Noooooooooo!

I want more Arrow!

Next one not til the 30th in the US.

Watching programmes weekly sucks. It sucks humungous amounts of donkey dick.

*scowl*
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

As a child we had to wait 28 days for a trinket from a cereal packet.
Channel your inner child. It's worth waiting for.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Makes me think of this.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
DanaC

I just watched the last episode of Arrow til after christmas. Man that was intense!

i'm liking this series. I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I have. Lasr season I enjoyed, but it meandered a bit and some of the story threads left me a bit cold. I'm likely in the minority of fans of the show who found the League a bit tiresome. They're ok in small doses, but all that delving into their mythology and wandering round that citadel didn't do it for me. And, as good as they look when they have a bunch of them together moving in sync, as soon as there's any actual fighting, 90% of the league seem to suck pretty bad.

I liked the way it tied up though and it shook up the group dynamics in a nice way. What was making me a touch dubious about this season was the move to Green Arrow and what appeared to be a lightening of the tone, which I didn't particularly want. I really, really don't like the Flash. Though I more or less enjoy them, my least favourite Arrow episodes are the crossovers. As it turns out the new tone is lighter in some ways and darker in other ways. I'm liking it.

This last episode though - man they've really upped their game. Stylishly done.

Still don't like the new costume though. The sleeveless look is a bit wank.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
DanaC

I've struggled with this last season on and off. Some aspects of the show have been really unengaging. But the last few eps have drawn me back in.

I just started watching the most recent episode though, and the first scene brought tomind a conversation I had with Foots about the classic dark lord/super villain errors that Dahrk keeps making - in this first scene, he decides not to kill his nemesis and constant thorn in his side, because he wants him to be alive long enough to suffer a terrible death when the world burns, as per his genius master villain plan. Does he lock him up in a deep dungeon, or chain him to a wall? No....he throws him about a bit, proving he could easily kill him then causes a cave in and leaves without ensuring he is trapped.

How many times is he going to not kill his enemy, in order to show how insignificant he is /make him suffer later? This strategy has not been very successful in the past.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

All the goofy comic-book cliches are simultaneously great and terrible in these shows.

Arrow probably has too few, which make the ones that are there stick out. Legends of tomorrow has too many, and feels like a parody of recent Doctor Who. Flash feels like it's at just about the right level.

I wonder how this Goldilocks formula will be affected when Supergirl moves to the CW.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #11
DanaC

I just have not been able to get into Flash. Too light and chirpy. My least favourite Arrow episodes are the ones that intersect with the rest of the Arrowverse.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I've struggled with this last season on and off. Some aspects of the show have been really unengaging. But the last few eps have drawn me back in.

I just started watching the most recent episode though, and the first scene brought tomind a conversation I had with Foots about the classic dark lord/super villain errors that Dahrk keeps making - in this first scene, he decides not to kill his nemesis and constant thorn in his side, because he wants him to be alive long enough to suffer a terrible death when the world burns, as per his genius master villain plan. Does he lock him up in a deep dungeon, or chain him to a wall? No....he throws him about a bit, proving he could easily kill him then causes a cave in and leaves without ensuring he is trapped.

How many times is he going to not kill his enemy, in order to show how insignificant he is /make him suffer later? This strategy has not been very successful in the past.
haha It's an epidemic. Finally, Felicity says what we've been dying to hear, "You have to kill him."

cf Death is not too good for my enemies.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #13
DanaC

I just watched the finale. It had some good moments. It had some ridiculous moments. It had some moments that were cheesy enough to cover an entire buffet's worth of cold pizza.

The showrunners really need to take their collective heads out of their arses and figure out a direction for the show and the core character. My overall impression of the season, with good and bad taken together is that it was mostly pants.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #14
DanaC

Ok- so - looks like the showrunners have their heads on straight after all.

Loving this season of Arrow - am back to full-blown Arrow addiction - so much sp that when I ran out of current episodes to watch on binge and dropped to an episode a week as it airs, I started rewatching season 1.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Here I was thinking I could walk away...