The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 03-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wildlife, living next to nature

Tyngsborough, Massachusetts, a town of about 11,000 on the New Hampshire border, 28 miles north and west of Boston. A family living there were excited to see a couple of Bobcats hanging out in their yard. So were the Boston TV reporters.

It's fun to spot something bigger than a squirrel or woodchuck in your yard, or even your town. Fox, Coyote, Big Cats, Deer, Moose, or Bear are pretty rare sightings for most Americans, and that's kind of sad.

Most of us live in pretty close proximity to each other these days. The majority of parents demand any ground the kids can access be made safe from Mother Nature's teeth, claws, hooves, barbs and spines. My god, the children, won't somebody please think of the children.
So I guess if the critters showed up they'd be tarred & feathered, then run out of town on a rail.

Hey look, a critter, take it's picture. I can't, the battery's dead on my phone... of course if the phone wasn't dead, the critter wouldn't have been spotted in the first place.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I'd love to see bobcats. So far, just foxes (who scream in the most bone-shivering way during mating season ... ), a very occasional coyote, and prey animals. If I could keep the hunters off my bit of land, maybe I'd see a predator.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

I've seen both a bobcat and a bear here. It is pretty cool.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The bobcat population is on the rise. Used to be, if you saw a live bobcat, you counted yourself a member of a very exclusive club.

Around here, the increased visibility of the bobcat is not due to habitat encroachment. There's just more of them. Our bobcat season harvest records back this up. The 2013 season shows 3189 bobcats taken in KY. This number astounds me.

Pop caught this one on one of his trailcams several years ago:

Name:  Bobcat on TrailCam.jpg
Views: 11021
Size:  115.4 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 03-20-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: a 'd'
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm just freaked out by the number of familiar names on that map.
Which is silly, because I've known since I was ?14? and first studied American history that that was the case.
Seems more real when it's on the Cellar though.

I've never not ever spotted even a squirrel in our back garden. That's Skwi-rell BTW, not Skwirl :LOL: I envy the 'rents and their soon-to-be-garden, because I bet they get squirrels there.
But before the housing estate grew up aroud us I regularly saw foxes (not urban, the ones that ate mousies) low-slung grunting badgers, bats which looked like wind-up toys flung into the sky, and rabbits grey as dawn. I miss the connection with nature and with the seasons.

Limey sees more - far more. I saw my first ever hare from her window.
And her whole world changes every month, but every month it stays the same.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Holy cow Digr, PA has grown from 58 Bobcats in 2000 to 1056 last year, but 3189 is mind boggling.

Oh, we harvested 40,109 coyotes which the state pays a $25 bounty on from a $700,000 fund the legislature set aside. Couldn't they just start a rumor the Coyotes are moving into the state to sell crack and let the thugs take care of it?

Also 343,110 deer, plus probably another 100,000 on the roads.
Issued 72 Elk permits which yielded 72 bulls, 14 over 700 lbs.
What surprised me was 3,510 bear, 58 over 500 lbs, and one at 772 lbs.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

A 772 lb black bear!! That's a Sasquatch.

KY killed 20 bears.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Interestingly, we just today got a notice from our MUD about coyote sightings and missing/mutilated pets in the area. They claimed that shooting them just makes room for another one to move in, and they will instead be clearing underbrush and generally making the environment undesirable for them so they will go away on their own. I'm dubious.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
orthodoc

Predators are necessary for a healthy ecosystem. We ruthlessly exterminate every predator we can and then lament that we're overrun with prey animals.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

http://www.wcax.com/story/25028417/vt-woman

Quote:
Nancy Hill thought the cat needed help.

"It was below zero and I thought the poor cat needs to get in and thaw in warmth," said Hill.

Looking out her Greensboro window on Town Meeting Day, Hill said she saw the animal sitting under her bird feeder and sprang into action.

"I used to have a cat and I had a cat carrier," said Hill.

She grabbed the carrier, dashed out the door, fast approaching the feline and finding something wasn't right.

"There was quite a bit of blood and some fur," she said.

And as Hill got close, she quickly learned the cat was no kitty.

"Well once it got up, it went so fast, it was scary," said Hill.

Hill almost caged herself a bobcat.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Glorious.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

We've all held a 2 pound kitten that went batshit crazy, and turned into a furious ball of teeth and claws and owfuckshitgetitoffofme. You can't get rid of one fast enough.

Now imagine if it was as feral as possible, and weighed forty+ pounds.

A healthy bobcat can bring down a half-grown deer.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
orthodoc

Not all of us ... cats get an undeservedly bad rap.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:52 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You've never had a kitten suddenly turn into a buzzsaw?
Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The girl ain't lived...